ZD30 - Pin fell out of the Grenade

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep, as vet180 said. It wouldnt cost a whole heap more going 6l and 6l80e. But the end result will be a billion times better.

You could even use an L76 and keep it stock with the DOD for better economies.
    Originally posted by Rdyno
    70ynu has to be the most retarded cunt here. "Help me please" me "you need to remove your head" him "fuck off cunt I'm to lazy fuck off out of my thread you told me to do something I don't want to do so you're a cunt fuck off can some one please tell me an easier way???"
    Originally posted by Tripper
    Its a tight battle between you and rogercordia for the most retarded member on here, thou i think you have it by 5 window licks

Comment

Originally posted by GAZ914 View Post
      The aim of this is to be able to tow the campervan and car trailer reliably - hopefully slightly faster than the ZD30 without using too much extra fuel.

I like the simplicity of NA in this application and the auto should make up for any 'off idle' torque issues.
      Barra, TB45/48, or LS (turbo or no) will not be faster in a patrol than the ZD30, due to the amount of time they will be stopped refuelling

Turbo anything or stock TB45/8 will literally use double (or possibly more) the fuel of the ZD30 when loaded up. Non turbo Barra or LS will use 50% more. I pity the fool who owns a fourby that requires PULP.

Apart from the cost, limited fuel range is a massive pain in the arse when touring.

Comment

First is 2.784

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        GU Patrol L98, Manualised Auto, 35s, Kings etc
        VF2 Redline Ute
        E36 Track Nugget Project

'98 Honda XR600R / '00 Kawasaki ZX-12R / '08 Honda CRF450R Supermoto / '09 KTM RC8R / '10 KTM RC8R (Broken Frame)

Comment

Originally posted by mondo2000 View Post
          Barra, TB45/48, or LS (turbo or no) will not be faster in a patrol than the ZD30, due to the amount of time they will be stopped refuelling

Turbo anything or stock TB45/8 will literally use double (or possibly more) the fuel of the ZD30 when loaded up. Non turbo Barra or LS will use 50% more. I pity the fool who owns a fourby that requires PULP.

Apart from the cost, limited fuel range is a massive pain in the arse when touring.
          I think you’re forgetting about the time off the road for the zd30 being blown up

GU Patrol L98, Manualised Auto, 35s, Kings etc
          VF2 Redline Ute
          E36 Track Nugget Project

'98 Honda XR600R / '00 Kawasaki ZX-12R / '08 Honda CRF450R Supermoto / '09 KTM RC8R / '10 KTM RC8R (Broken Frame)

Comment

Lol, imagine a brand new 4x4 that needed PULP back in 1997. The Pajero DOHC 3.5 needed PULP, major issue outside of major centers back then. Especially given their epic fuel consumption, iirc they were as thirsty as the, less powerful, 4.5 Land Cruiser.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperHoon View Post
              I think you’re forgetting about the time off the road for the zd30 being blown up

Owning a ZD30 is like an IQ test. Normally I say if you blow one up, you fail. I'll give GAZ914 the benefit of doubt since it may have been half fucked when he got it.

If you've blown up 3 you must be a new level of retard.

Comment

I think you’ve got that wrong. Owning a zd30 is retarded

Comment

Something I never unstood about EGR blocks / removal. Removing EGR increases combustion temps, why is this a good thing in an engine that is known for melting pistons?

Having looked at a few conversions for Patrols myself, my final outcome will likely be to just buy a tb48 (currently in a tb45) and just drive the cunt. There's a few worries I still have about using parts not really designed for offroad and/or the teething issues that conversions can have compared to a stock Nissan or Toyota design. If all you were doing were trips close to the highway, then I wouldn't be as worried. I don't think Diesels are anywhere as good as people make them out to be and diesel tends to be around 20% more expensive* in Sydney over 91 octane, diesel lovers often seem to forget that fact. A mate of mine in a td42 uses about 20% less fuel than me in my tb45, perfectly offset by the price of fuel *yes I know this varies in different areas.

That said, I did prefer the overall conversion of the Barra turbo over the LS in terms of ease of job and bang for buck with increased boost. You can get alternator relocation kits for the Barra conversions and decent engine mounts (both of which you couldnt get about 12 months ago). The Barras also dont seem to have the overheating issues the LS' have in patrols, although most of this seems to have been solved with the Marks engine fan, over the (probably chinese) thermos that many used to run.

Bit hard to beat the sound of a v8 I must admit. Some guys were having issues with the 6l80 offroad on steep inclines, the box would slip and carry on like a porkchop. Not sure if this is something that;s been solved yet.

In terms of fuel range, what numbers are you after? I can do 900 km in my TB45, which comes in at 3,300kg without anyone in it, on Toyo MT 33s and 3 inch lift. Long range main I picked up for $300 in almost new condition, and a factory sub tank mod gives me a total of 187l. Single jerry on the roof takes me to 1,000km. Not many places you can't make in Australia with that sort of range. A few TB48 owners are reporting consumption in the mid to low 20s with 2t + of van on the back. It's always hard to believe some internet fuel numbers, but food for thought I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by ar3nbe View Post
                    Something I never unstood about EGR blocks / removal. Removing EGR increases combustion temps, why is this a good thing in an engine that is known for melting pistons?

Having looked at a few conversions for Patrols myself, my final outcome will likely be to just buy a tb48 (currently in a tb45) and just drive the cunt. There's a few worries I still have about using parts not really designed for offroad and/or the teething issues that conversions can have compared to a stock Nissan or Toyota design. If all you were doing were trips close to the highway, then I wouldn't be as worried. I don't think Diesels are anywhere as good as people make them out to be and diesel tends to be around 20% more expensive* in Sydney over 91 octane, diesel lovers often seem to forget that fact. A mate of mine in a td42 uses about 20% less fuel than me in my tb45, perfectly offset by the price of fuel *yes I know this varies in different areas.
                    Yes and no. Obviously egr is reintroducing a useless gas, so the engine has to work a little harder even at cruise. You will find after egr removal that you will use slightly less throttle at speed because the engines working more efficiently, so exhaust temps shouldn't be higher. Also reduces intake clogging and your reducing engine bay over complication so there is less shit to go wrong offroad.

You do make good points re petrol vs diesel. Modern petrol engines and transmissions are closing the range/economy gap with diesels. And the age of simplistic diesels that can be repaired on the side of the road are long gone. Petrol motors are simple compared to modern diesels these days.
                    Originally posted by Rdyno
                    70ynu has to be the most retarded cunt here. "Help me please" me "you need to remove your head" him "fuck off cunt I'm to lazy fuck off out of my thread you told me to do something I don't want to do so you're a cunt fuck off can some one please tell me an easier way???"
                    Originally posted by Tripper
                    Its a tight battle between you and rogercordia for the most retarded member on here, thou i think you have it by 5 window licks

Comment

Originally posted by MRMOPARMAN View Post
                      Yes and no. Obviously egr is reintroducing a useless gas, so the engine has to work a little harder even at cruise. You will find after egr removal that you will use slightly less throttle at speed because the engines working more efficiently, so exhaust temps shouldn't be higher. Also reduces intake clogging and your reducing engine bay over complication so there is less shit to go wrong offroad.

There was an interesting, albeit anecdotal discussion on the ZD30 facey page with those who had pulled pins and those who didn't, it seems that out of the handful that had done big km, they were stock and the ones with NADS were the ones that seemed to blow. Made be think back to my university days and dig into the diesel engine courses we did in regards to EGR, combustion temps etc etc.

Interesting discussion point that I think would be better explored if the ZD30, in running form was a decent engine. I personally think the ZD30 screams euro with the multiple sensor issues they have and just random crap that goes wrong, not including the grenade issues.

There are some fantastic diesels out there, I watch in anticipation for the 6bt progress that is made with Patrols but the reality is for the drivetrain to be reliable, it needs a stronger gearbox and a Dana out back. The stock patrol gearbox and diffs just arnt lasting with anything more than stock 6bt torque. But as a general rule of thumb I think I am not strongly leaning back towards petrols. The total cost of ownership is just that much better, I feel as a whole they are more reliable for the same power output and you have more options to choose from.

Comment

Originally posted by ar3nbe View Post
                        There was an interesting, albeit anecdotal discussion on the ZD30 facey page with those who had pulled pins and those who didn't, it seems that out of the handful that had done big km, they were stock and the ones with NADS were the ones that seemed to blow. Made be think back to my university days and dig into the diesel engine courses we did in regards to EGR, combustion temps etc etc.

Interesting discussion point that I think would be better explored if the ZD30, in running form was a decent engine. I personally think the ZD30 screams euro with the multiple sensor issues they have and just random crap that goes wrong, not including the grenade issues.

There are some fantastic diesels out there, I watch in anticipation for the 6bt progress that is made with Patrols but the reality is for the drivetrain to be reliable, it needs a stronger gearbox and a Dana out back. The stock patrol gearbox and diffs just arnt lasting with anything more than stock 6bt torque. But as a general rule of thumb I think I am not strongly leaning back towards petrols. The total cost of ownership is just that much better, I feel as a whole they are more reliable for the same power output and you have more options to choose from.
                        Have a look at the new 4.5 Cummins. It's like a common rail 4bt.

Sent from my VS Commodore eurovox headunit using Tapatalk
                        Tow car/camping bus: 2011 D40 Navara ST

Baby mobile: 2016 Nissan Qashqai

75 Mini Clubman club racer - DCOE powah

Comment

Owning a ZD30 is like an IQ test. Normally I say if you blow one up, you fail. I'll give GAZ914 the benefit of doubt since it may have been half fucked when he got it.

If you've blown up 3 you must be a new level of retard.
                          Lol, these things are cancer. We had three blow up in work utes over about 3 months. Absolute garbage. If you're saying that egt gauges and engine mods are needed to make a stock engine survive you're out of your mind.

I like the idea of an ls1, seriously would be on par with fuel and triple the power. I think it would be a great tow car with one.

Comment

Originally posted by BigMuz View Post

I like the idea of an ls1, seriously would be on par with fuel and triple the power. I think it would be a great tow car with one.
                            Commodores get good fuel economy because they are a modern, low drag vehicle with moonshot gearing, and when they're idling along at 1800rpm with bugger all load the ecu can advance the fuck out of the ignition timing on an already high compression engine.

Put the same engine in a Patrol (presumably mated to a much older nissan transmission, auto or manual, transfer case and diff gears) and it will be using heaps more fuel before taking the barn door aerodynamics into account, or the tall, high rolling resistance tyres, or the added drag of various shit added to the Patrol, or the added drivetrain loss of the 10 inch crown wheel truck diff in the rear, or the front diff when in 4WD, or the tyre slip on loose surfaces.

Also, how big are the intake ports in an LS1 again? A Holden 304 would be a better engine in a Patrol.

Comment

ZD30 - Pin fell out of the Grenade

Commodores get good fuel economy because they are a modern, low drag vehicle with moonshot gearing, and when they're idling along at 1800rpm with bugger all load the ecu can advance the fuck out of the ignition timing on an already high compression engine.

Put the same engine in a Patrol (presumably mated to a much older nissan transmission, auto or manual, transfer case and diff gears) and it will be using heaps more fuel before taking the barn door aerodynamics into account, or the tall, high rolling resistance tyres, or the added drag of various shit added to the Patrol, or the added drivetrain loss of the 10 inch crown wheel truck diff in the rear, or the front diff when in 4WD, or the tyre slip on loose surfaces.

Also, how big are the intake ports in an LS1 again? A Holden 304 would be a better engine in a Patrol.
                              This X10.

Not to mention the weight of the tyres and the effect that has on fuel economy. Your average commodore tire weighs around 20lb your average 35 inch mud weighs closer to 65lb. I stepped up 2 inches in tire size and 10lb in weight and lost 100kms over a tank.....

I have yet to see an economical LS patrol swap. People compare modern sedan figures to modified 4x4 figures and put the difference down to the engine, but reality is quite different.

Originally posted by Babalouie
                              Geez we're a bunch of softcocks...we have a 911 and we're obsessing over non-functional ducts and indicator colours

Comment

If a zd30 pushes it along with 100 hp an ls would be fine.

Comment

Working...
                                X