Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

https://youtu.be/A4lY2j1zD5Q

Thrashing around the street like a fuckwit and some highway running gets me 25 per 100 on 35s and lift. ZD was around 15 for the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    GU Patrol L98, Manualised Auto, 35s, Kings etc
    VF2 Redline Ute
    E36 Track Nugget Project

'98 Honda XR600R / '00 Kawasaki ZX-12R / '08 Honda CRF450R Supermoto / '09 KTM RC8R / '10 KTM RC8R (Broken Frame)

Comment

Originally posted by BigMuz View Post
      If a zd30 pushes it along with 100 hp an ls would be fine.
      It will do just fine, but wonít be similar in terms of fuel economy

Originally posted by Babalouie
      Geez we're a bunch of softcocks...we have a 911 and we're obsessing over non-functional ducts and indicator colours

Comment

Originally posted by SuperHoon View Post

Thrashing around the street like a fuckwit and some highway running gets me 25 per 100 on 35s and lift. ZD was around 15 for the same.

Lol, love it.

Most claim around 17-20l per hunj for daily duties.

They make sense on a $4k blown zd30 GU, but I'm not sure I'd be pulling a running tb48 for a LS.

Sent from my VS Commodore eurovox headunit using Tapatalk
        Tow car/camping bus: 2011 D40 Navara ST

Baby mobile: 2016 Nissan Qashqai

75 Mini Clubman club racer - DCOE powah

Comment

A smarter human would sell their running zd and get a tb48.

I was going to but couldnít find a series 3 manual that hadnít been sunk in the beach. After series 3 they didnít have a sub tank I think in the tb48.

GU Patrol L98, Manualised Auto, 35s, Kings etc
          VF2 Redline Ute
          E36 Track Nugget Project

'98 Honda XR600R / '00 Kawasaki ZX-12R / '08 Honda CRF450R Supermoto / '09 KTM RC8R / '10 KTM RC8R (Broken Frame)

Comment

Originally posted by da9jeff View Post
            Lol, love it.

Most claim around 17-20l per hunj for daily duties.

They make sense on a $4k blown zd30 GU, but I'm not sure I'd be pulling a running tb48 for a LS.

Have you sampled how much fuel tb48s use? LSs are pretty similar and make half the power again over a tb48. And holden has a pretty good parts network. Would be heaps easier getting LS bits than tb48 bits.

The economy reports on the barra patrols Facebook pages is averaging 15/18l per 100 from turbo barras and 6 speeds. Thought thst was fairly reasonable
            Originally posted by Rdyno
            70ynu has to be the most retarded cunt here. "Help me please" me "you need to remove your head" him "fuck off cunt I'm to lazy fuck off out of my thread you told me to do something I don't want to do so you're a cunt fuck off can some one please tell me an easier way???"
            Originally posted by Tripper
            Its a tight battle between you and rogercordia for the most retarded member on here, thou i think you have it by 5 window licks

Comment

Depends what you want it for. 10-15k for a LS buys a lot of fuel. TBs dont seem to break. The carby versions are pretty puss but the efi 45 and 48 seem to be about as robust as any 4wd petrol motor.

Tow car/camping bus: 2011 D40 Navara ST

Baby mobile: 2016 Nissan Qashqai

75 Mini Clubman club racer - DCOE powah

Comment

Originally posted by MRMOPARMAN View Post
                Have you sampled how much fuel tb48s use? LSs are pretty similar and make half the power again over a tb48. And holden has a pretty good parts network. Would be heaps easier getting LS bits than tb48 bits.

The economy reports on the barra patrols Facebook pages is averaging 15/18l per 100 from turbo barras and 6 speeds. Thought thst was fairly reasonable
                Does the ZF bolt up to the transfer easy? Is quick google doesnít show any ZF to transfer adapters. If it does it is the way to go imo.

Geez we're a bunch of softcocks...we have a 911 and we're obsessing over non-functional ducts and indicator colours

Comment

I've driven an ls powered patrol and its shit. There is a reason ppl sell them once is done. It sounds like a good idea but it isnt. I'd be sticking to nissan 4wd engines instead.

Try drive one. Be a tyre kicker go find someone selling one and see for yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by vet 180 View Post
                    Does the ZF bolt up to the transfer easy? Is quick google doesnít show any ZF to transfer adapters. If it does it is the way to go imo.

Killa kustom kables and conversions on facebook does ZF-patrol tfc adapters iirc
                    Originally posted by Rdyno
                    70ynu has to be the most retarded cunt here. "Help me please" me "you need to remove your head" him "fuck off cunt I'm to lazy fuck off out of my thread you told me to do something I don't want to do so you're a cunt fuck off can some one please tell me an easier way???"
                    Originally posted by Tripper
                    Its a tight battle between you and rogercordia for the most retarded member on here, thou i think you have it by 5 window licks

Comment

Originally posted by GAZ914 View Post
                      Leaning towards sticking in an LS1 with the existing auto as the best bang for buck 'fix'
                      LS engines in big 4WD's are not bang for buck, people shit on the Nissan and Toyota petrol engines for being heavy on fuel but unless you specifically need a lot of power fitting a LS1 into a Patrol is a really excellent way to piss money up the wall if you actually drive the thing regularly. Think of the TB48 as a LS1 that makes a bit less power, uses less fuel and is arguably more reliable in its OEM fitted form.

A ZD30 with new Nissan pistons that runs correctly (clean AFM, manifold not clogged with EGR soot, manual boost limiter, glow plugs fitted to a switch) will easily go 300,000km, fuck, probably quite a few people made that on stock engines back in the day. They are a shit engine but its not like you get 15,000kms out of them and they blow up, if you built another ZD30 and got 200,000km out of the thing then who cares, they are good on fuel compared to any other engine in a Patrol.

Comment

Outstanding

Comment

Originally posted by MRMOPARMAN View Post
                          Killa kustom kables and conversions on facebook does ZF-patrol tfc adapters iirc
                          For me this is the way forward. I know you need to match the auto computer to the auto and all that, but 4.17 first gear through an auto, big displacement low end turbo torque, a very easy 300rwkws, strong transmission for sub 300rwkws, and overall a package that will work very well with weight.

Comment

A smarter human would sell their running zd and get a tb48.

I was going to but couldnít find a series 3 manual that hadnít been sunk in the beach. After series 3 they didnít have a sub tank I think in the tb48.

This is where my mind lies too. The series 4 had a subtank on the tb48. It was at some point after that they were removed, about the same time as they went to double the o2 sensors. I just am yet to believe that any engine conversion is as reliable as anything stock that Nissan can do, over a decade of proven Tb48 reliability seems a positive in my opinion over adapters and pieces from any manufacturer. I have seen people fuck up TB45 to TD42 swaps with dodgy shit, and this is about as easy as a swap gets.

'Mate' of mine had a LS in a patrol, goes up a decent hill and it starts to knock its tits off. Actual cause im unaware off, but I can guarantee you that a TB will never do that. (Likely a shit sump or oil setup in this case, but these are the issues that just shouldn't exist).

All that said, I hate to be that guy who talks down custom shit, hell this is PF, not caravanwankers.com. I just guess my opinion of 4wding now days is going away and not having vehicle issues (ironically im normally sorting out other vehicles on the trips with real annoying reliability shit (often Toyotas)). Im kind of over the engine tinkering for offroad, I leave that to more street going vehicles.

Comment

Originally posted by ar3nbe View Post
                              This is where my mind lies too. The series 4 had a subtank on the tb48. It was at some point after that they were removed, about the same time as they went to double the o2 sensors. I just am yet to believe that any engine conversion is as reliable as anything stock that Nissan can do, over a decade of proven Tb48 reliability seems a positive in my opinion over adapters and pieces from any manufacturer. I have seen people fuck up TB45 to TD42 swaps with dodgy shit, and this is about as easy as a swap gets.

'Mate' of mine had a LS in a patrol, goes up a decent hill and it starts to knock its tits off. Actual cause im unaware off, but I can guarantee you that a TB will never do that. (Likely a shit sump or oil setup in this case, but these are the issues that just shouldn't exist).

All that said, I hate to be that guy who talks down custom shit, hell this is PF, not caravanwankers.com. I just guess my opinion of 4wding now days is going away and not having vehicle issues (ironically im normally sorting out other vehicles on the trips with real annoying reliability shit (often Toyotas)). Im kind of over the engine tinkering for offroad, I leave that to more street going vehicles.
                              Well there is a lot more load on it. There is a reason that GM used detuned iron block LSís in their trucks...

I guess itís the old 300zx argument, apparently bulletproof engines with bad packaging that leads to unreliability issues. If an oem can get it wrong fred in the shed sure as hell can. By running the TB48 you can use all stock parts in stock application.

In saying that I still vote barra and ZF 6 speed. Torquey engine that can move other big heavy SUVís, great gear ratios for on an off-road, and cheap buy on price, parts abundant everywhere and generally bulletproof engines.

Comment

Which engine is the best conversion for a patrol is a question that will be answered differently every week depending on the fashion.

Barra is the current fashion but if it's not an FG engine with a ZF then fuck that. That's a 15k diy conversion easy.

LS1 is $1000 from Caboolture gumtree, that's why dudes with old shit GU's and GQ's use them, that and they sound obnoxious and that is a serious consideration for a deadshit in an old patrol.

Bigger LS engines are for the same dudes but they have a mines job.

You'd have to be pretty special to find value in fitting a TB48 to a patrol that wasn't built with it already fitted. Just buy a factory fitted car.

TD42 is a no brainer, just don't expect it to be fast, reliable, economical and not to overheat.

Duramax and Allison is amazing but the conversion market is filled with thieves that vapourise with peoples money and there are many significant issues with the fitment that noone has been able to iron out. Also costs $50k. I hope to revisit it one day with hindsight and experience on my side.

Cummins 6BT/ISB is a newish option, $25k conversion using a 500k mile old Ram engine though which takes the shine off a bit. Factory manual, RE4 auto or 47RH/E are current trans options. The std manual is the only option that represents value but will be marginal behind a healthy 6BT/ISB5.9.

Cummins ISDE4.4 is also new. 4.5l bus/tractor/industrial commonrail engine. 200hp, fair amount of torque, insane money for a bus engine. Something like $36k DIDO using your original manual trans. FUCK. THAT.
                                David Fraser - Automotive Historian!

Originally posted by bigmuz
                                You can't polish a turd but you can put 600hp in it and laugh your fucking arse off coming past someone sideways at Powercruise.

Comment

Working...
                                X