2019 Suzuki jimny/Sierra

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can these things even move out of their own way?
    Originally posted by TK
    may 10 thousand malaria carrying mozzies attack their syphillis sores simultaniously whilst their shrivelled genitalia are nibbled by hungry gofers

Comment

I test drove one on Saturday. Walked in and to my surprise, I got to test drive a 5MT without waiting so I took in nopics and tofu jnr for the ride. The CRA is not on the back seat as shown in the international images. You need to pop the rear storage bins out to access them (there's a stick AFTER you remove the bins) and dump the storage bin somewhere at home. At the showroom driveway, I was looking at the storage and driving 4 up, the boot space is pathetic. Maybe fits a few triangular shaped items like a few lever arch folders and that's about it. 3 up with one of the seats folded it a do-able proposition. Getting in the back isn't too hard though the front seat doesn't have a memory function when the seat is put back into position.

Initial impressions driving out the driveway was how comfy the ride was (I'm coming from a Prius wagon so it's no sports car). It lacked the rattles and rumble expected in a tough mini-truck. Power is sufficient and didn't require much coercing to get a move on. Gear shifts had this great mechanical feel to it and I thought the throws were short unlike all the Youtube reviews out there. I feel it's shorter than a Yaris/Corolla which were the last non-sports MT car I've driven. Even though I was driving it quite sedately, it gave me a great smile on my face. Last car that did that was 86.

Steering as any recirculating ball system goes just suck on-road and it lacks feel but it is fit for purpose as an offroad machine. You drive it as it was designed.

The ergonomics were quite logical and didn't require a second thought to understand what's what. Blinkers had the Euro flash 3 times for changing lane function. Radio could have done with a dial for volume at least. Cruise control only works above 45km/h (like most cars out there).

Hill holder works fine and you can choose if you want it by jabbing the brake pedal harder for it to function (no beep) and you'll feel the brake pedal travel stiffens up as pressure is held. Otherwise choose to press the brakes gently at stand still and it'll roll back like it should.

I got quoted for the MT, $26.2k DA without metallic paint which isn't much at all.

Should I buy it? Despite all the flaws of an offroader, the biggest thing on my mind is the crash rating particularly as I want to cart around the family of 3 on some off-the-beaten-path trips I can't do in a regular car. It'd definitely be for me a toy car that I may or may not need. I'll wait for the hype to die down and comfortable waiting for the right price.

Things lacking which I'd wish they'd put in right now:
      - Push button start
      - Remote sensing door unlock/lock
      - Power folding mirrors
      - Reverse camera (you're still up high so it'd be good to see if there's a kid behind when you reverse)

What I want to know is that whether the Kei Jimny will be available when the new import laws come into place. If it's any cheaper still, then I'd be all up for that than the 1.5L.

Comment

Originally posted by vet 180 View Post
        This. Although I have in the previous model managed to go camping in a spot where you needed to properly off-road to get to with 4 full sized adults, esky full of beer and food, small charcoal BBQ, bedding and tents. Even writing it out I am not sure how we did it, I do remember strapping the cooking table to the roof, and feeling that weight up high during the drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Yeah, I was planning on binning the back seats and putting a rollbar/barrier in the one I had on order before I lost my job when they first came out.

Comment

I had a quick look today.

first impressions it looks great, very cute.
          Super narrow, my 11 year olds arm spam is wider, but inside its nice.
          Most mod cons, would feel like a nice car to drive.
          Back seat is ok for kids, I moved the front seat forward, and sat in the back and would be fine to go for a drive in it. It's no sofa, but its a tiny car.

I will wait to test drive the auto before I even remotely consider one

A part of me wants it though. Not sure which part.
          www.markpakula.com
          2017 Subaru Impreza Hatch - for the grind
          2015 Cervelo S2 - for the fitness
          2005 Honda Accord Euro - for the wife
          2010 BMW S1000RR - for the sanity

Comment

Originally posted by smellytofu View Post
            What I want to know is that whether the Kei Jimny will be available when the new import laws come into place. If it's any cheaper still, then I'd be all up for that than the 1.5L.
            Same here, when does this come into effect and what does it mean exactly? Id much rather have a Kei Jimny with the 3 cylinder turbo, its way cooler.

Great review by the way, sounds like you have almost made you mind up on one

Comment

I test drove one on Saturday. Walked in and to my surprise, I got to test drive a 5MT without waiting so I took in nopics and tofu jnr for the ride. The CRA is not on the back seat as shown in the international images. You need to pop the rear storage bins out to access them (there's a stick AFTER you remove the bins) and dump the storage bin somewhere at home. At the showroom driveway, I was looking at the storage and driving 4 up, the boot space is pathetic. Maybe fits a few triangular shaped items like a few lever arch folders and that's about it. 3 up with one of the seats folded it a do-able proposition. Getting in the back isn't too hard though the front seat doesn't have a memory function when the seat is put back into position.

Initial impressions driving out the driveway was how comfy the ride was (I'm coming from a Prius wagon so it's no sports car). It lacked the rattles and rumble expected in a tough mini-truck. Power is sufficient and didn't require much coercing to get a move on. Gear shifts had this great mechanical feel to it and I thought the throws were short unlike all the Youtube reviews out there. I feel it's shorter than a Yaris/Corolla which were the last non-sports MT car I've driven. Even though I was driving it quite sedately, it gave me a great smile on my face. Last car that did that was 86.

Steering as any recirculating ball system goes just suck on-road and it lacks feel but it is fit for purpose as an offroad machine. You drive it as it was designed.

The ergonomics were quite logical and didn't require a second thought to understand what's what. Blinkers had the Euro flash 3 times for changing lane function. Radio could have done with a dial for volume at least. Cruise control only works above 45km/h (like most cars out there).

Hill holder works fine and you can choose if you want it by jabbing the brake pedal harder for it to function (no beep) and you'll feel the brake pedal travel stiffens up as pressure is held. Otherwise choose to press the brakes gently at stand still and it'll roll back like it should.

I got quoted for the MT, $26.2k DA without metallic paint which isn't much at all.

Should I buy it? Despite all the flaws of an offroader, the biggest thing on my mind is the crash rating particularly as I want to cart around the family of 3 on some off-the-beaten-path trips I can't do in a regular car. It'd definitely be for me a toy car that I may or may not need. I'll wait for the hype to die down and comfortable waiting for the right price.

Things lacking which I'd wish they'd put in right now:
              - Push button start
              - Remote sensing door unlock/lock
              - Power folding mirrors
              - Reverse camera (you're still up high so it'd be good to see if there's a kid behind when you reverse)

They have a reverse camera

As for waiting you will be disappointed the order write from weekend alone has gone nuts

I have a jungle green manual available

Comment

sounds ideal for couples etc to go offroading (me and a couple mates with lightweight hiking gear for example) but unsurprisingly not going to displace larger 4wd's for touring families.
                as a daily as well i'm keen- 90% of my driving is by myself or one other person.
                Originally posted by Walt Kowalski
                Memes are only detectable by NSA.

Comment

Originally posted by LB-XP View Post
                  Same here, when does this come into effect and what does it mean exactly? Id much rather have a Kei Jimny with the 3 cylinder turbo, its way cooler.

Great review by the way, sounds like you have almost made you mind up on one
                  Dec '19. Will be interesting as the both body is the same. The international Jimny is just a wide track version.

Comment

Originally posted by -Matt- View Post
                    They have a reverse camera

As for waiting you will be disappointed the order write from weekend alone has gone nuts

I have a jungle green manual available
                    Going off topic, I understand the wait if required when Iím ready to buy but Iíd rather go on my European holiday I promised my family first before my own desires. And yes, Iíve pretty much sold it to myself.

Comment

Took demo home last night and sold the car at first sight to the owner of this lovely beast - no test drive just wanted one to get around in against the people that have been calling and walking in for the last few days
                      Attached Files

Comment

farrrrrrrrrrrrk!
                        Originally posted by TK
                        may 10 thousand malaria carrying mozzies attack their syphillis sores simultaniously whilst their shrivelled genitalia are nibbled by hungry gofers

Comment

I guess anything would feel mega slow compared to that, so not a bad idea.
                          www.markpakula.com
                          2017 Subaru Impreza Hatch - for the grind
                          2015 Cervelo S2 - for the fitness
                          2005 Honda Accord Euro - for the wife
                          2010 BMW S1000RR - for the sanity

Comment

Going off topic, I understand the wait if required when Iím ready to buy but Iíd rather go on my European holiday I promised my family first before my own desires. And yes, Iíve pretty much sold it to myself.
                            If you willing to wait, then keep an eye on the second hand market. Chances are you find some rich young lady who bought because it looks cool then sells in a few months time with less than 1000kms on the clock for 20k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            Originally posted by Babalouie
                            Geez we're a bunch of softcocks...we have a 911 and we're obsessing over non-functional ducts and indicator colours

Comment

I'm out nothing left you need need to order and hope for the best and give us flexability on colour choice - there has been alot of price checking and time wasters along with test pilots

Pre orders are close to 350 Over the long weekend, 600+ people walked into Suzuki showrooms to see the new car and now we've got around 500 orders with only 1100 coming this year those people who want to think about it will miss out.

Comment

You're on PF now, not at work, need to hit the work/life sales pitch balance.

Projects:
                                '90 2jz-gte 929
                                '02 twin-locked TD42 GU Patrol

Comment

Working...
                                X