Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bead Lock question....

OK, So I understand how the outside of the bead lock rims work with the bolting together of the lip to hold the outer tyre bead secure...

But what about the inside bead. What stops it just popping off the inside of the rim lip when running really low pressures ??

Put a bead lock on the inside too.
    Originally posted by Motherfucker Jones
    If you can't appreciate that then you are more narrow minded than the most mulleted, flanno, thong wearing, thong slapping, 253 owning, southern cross tatted, fuck off
    we're full stickered, VB drinking bogan you'll ever meet

Comment

double bead lock rims are a thing.

Don't mention the adBlocker !!

Comment

https://www.racelinewheels.com/Beadl...structions.pdf

Comment

You still have an internal bump that the bead needs to go over

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
          Originally posted by 50RTD
          Dave, have you uploaded the data from the carby?

Comment

Originally posted by Fondles View Post
            double bead lock rims are a thing.
            This. Hummers (H1) run a double beadlock with a PVC insert to hold the inner bead against the rim.

Or there are inflatable inner beadlocks.

Comment

Yeah, I understand how they work, why they are used etc,
              I wasn't aware of double bead locks - and they make sense....but.....

I was watching some youtube channel where they were sprouting on about how awesome their trucks were and the fact they lowered their tyre pressures to 8psi to get over one obstacle that could have easily been tackled by taking a different line - (but that wouldn't make for exciting TV right...)

Anyway - they were tugging each other about how great bead locks were and 8psi blah blah and the next shot was a go pro in the rocks with the tyres scrambling in shot and the inside of the rim was standard..

So by removing all chance of the bead coming off the outside, does it not just mean that the inside is still at risk.. possibly more so as it is the ONLY place where it can come off ??
              (yes, I understand force doesn't exactly work like that - but if you only have beadlocks on one side - you are still at a huge risk of popping a tyre off...)

Comment

if the tyre comes off the rim on the front side (assuming not rear mount rim) the tyre can easily slip into the fitting recess which fucks things up real quick... if it came off the bead on the backface it has a lot further to travel before getting fucked up...

Maybe thats the reasoning why double beadlocks are not overly common and one side "locked" still sorta kinda holds to tyre from rotating around the rim even if one bead is popped.

Does that even make sense ?

Don't mention the adBlocker !!

Comment

Yeah, Makes sense if they are different lips
                  But I went and checked two sets of rims I have here - one steel and one alloy - and the front lip looks identical to the rear lip..
                  So unless specific bead lock rims are constructed differently... it makes perfect sense to only lock the front.

Comment

Locking the bead on one side works pretty well because generally to pop one off you want the tyre itself to spin on the rim as well as just be pushed inwards.
                    Parramatta Eels, 2009 Premiership rightful winners.

Comment

I saw an FJ cruiser wearing these or something similar the other day

https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/...le/519824.html

It reinforced a certain stereotype...

Comment

The other option is to Sikaflex the inner bead to the rim.

Comment

The outer bead is under a whole lot more stress. Ie, if a car is on an angle, the outer bead on the lower tyre would be holding most of the weight, whereas the tyre on the high side of the car wouldn't have it's inner bead under nearly as much stress.

Projects:
                          '90 2jz-gte 929
                          '02 twin-locked TD42 GU Patrol

Comment

Originally posted by nine2nine View Post
                            The outer bead is under a whole lot more stress. Ie, if a car is on an angle, the outer bead on the lower tyre would be holding most of the weight, whereas the tyre on the high side of the car wouldn't have it's inner bead under nearly as much stress.
                            This. Double beadlocks are very rarely worth the weight disadvantage. Majority of the stress is on the outside bead. I have seen many people pop a bead when wheeling I have never in real life seen someone pop just an inside bead. Obviously have seen a tire come completely off but never just the inside bead.

To Southo you are thinking of it like “once you lock one side there is more stress on the other” the truth is the opposite happens, as soon as you lock 1 side it stops the tire spinning on the wheel which actually protects the inside bead from unseating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            Originally posted by Babalouie
                            Geez we're a bunch of softcocks...we have a 911 and we're obsessing over non-functional ducts and indicator colours

Comment

Cool thanks..

Comment

Working...
                              X