Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ideal tourer / 4x4 for family?

I've been thinking about this for a while and still keep changing my mind. Looking for an ideal all rounder for touring, long road trips, decent 4wding, and dailying. Now my youngest (2 kids) is coming on the camping trips I'm finding space a bit on an issue.

So, the long story - Have an FZJ105 which is slow, thirsty, and old. In the next 12-24 months I'm looking to upgrade to something to keep for years. The 105 has a fold out RTT and dome tent at the moment for sleeping arrangements.

General criteria:

- Can daily drive (I've daily driven stupid cars before so this is a minor one)
    - Not ridiculous on fuel (105 gets 20L/100 highway and 25 towing a box trailer)
    - Relatively new (nopics canned my idea of a Doka converted Unimog)
    - Comfortable for a family of 4 to do bulk kms (will probably upgrade front and rear seats in anything anyway)
    - Can carry enough gear for a week off grid
    - Frontal/side protection from animal strikes (99% chance I'll hit a roo, already hit one in the 105 and narrowly missed 5 others this year)
    - Basically something I can drive to work, spend a week on Fraser, carve up the Vic high country, run up the OTT, cross the Simpson, and do trips from Syd to the snow/Gold Coast, etc.
    - May eventually get a caravan and lap Aus but for the most part I'm against towing trailers so no camper trailers
    - Up to around ~100k for initial purchase, but ~80k would be nicer

Closest thing I can think of is a 200 series but they don't have much more space than the 105. Throw some draws and fridge in and it's gone pretty fast. Also considered chassis extended 79 series, or even a 78. Seats in the 70s are fairly horrendous but fronts are easily available and the rear could be replaced, or remade and covered in something better. I'm a bit of a Toyota fanboi but not sold on them. Dodge Ram 2500 would be nice but I'm not sure about their off road ability on tougher tracks and they're a bit over my price range.

I'm not going to be doing any rock crawling or extreme 4wding in this one.

Thoughts? (inb4 Blow says Prado)
    2002 VX SS GT55 boosted 427 LSX
    2004 Nissan El Grand rape van
    2001 Land Cruiser - The Beater
    2007 Suzuki SX4 - Ski Mule
    2005 WR250
    + 2 trailers and a caravan.
    I finance the RMS

One of the Patriot mega thingo's should fit the bill just nicely.

Don't mention the adBlocker !!

Comment

Taken a Y62 for a drive? They are a fair bit bigger than an 80. The 200 series is a good idea if you are a Toyota fan boi. A toyota sequoia would fit the bill well, but don't think you get them there. What about a smaller duel cab and a decent offroad trailer? then it kind of does everything a little better.
      Originally posted by Babalouie
      Geez we're a bunch of softcocks...we have a 911 and we're obsessing over non-functional ducts and indicator colours

Comment

I am a fan of the Patriot stuff, just not the price. The Dodge Ram megatourer they did was good but seen a few reviews that they can be ordinary off road. It I win the 150mil powerball I'd probably just order a 6x6 79 series.

Never driven a Y62 but I'll add it to the list. The owners I see you YT seem pretty happy with them. Really don't want to tow.
        2002 VX SS GT55 boosted 427 LSX
        2004 Nissan El Grand rape van
        2001 Land Cruiser - The Beater
        2007 Suzuki SX4 - Ski Mule
        2005 WR250
        + 2 trailers and a caravan.
        I finance the RMS

Comment

A good mate runs a Ford Everest to fit the same brief, he's been very happy with it.

Comment

I'd go the y62. If I could trust my wife with that size rig we'd already have one.

-Bulk power (No fucking around with remaps)
            -Bulk room (can fit a waeco etc behind the third row)
            -bulletproof compared to the 200, with no diesel gaids
            -ifs/irs means more clearance over ruts
            -cheap for what you get
            Tow car/camping bus: 2011 D40 Navara ST

Baby mobile: 2016 Nissan Qashqai

75 Mini Clubman club racer - DCOE powah

Comment

I don't have a family of four but I've been mulling over a similar purchase choice for a while. I want a daily driver that can do mild offroad, handle a rooftop tent, take 4 people+cargo+fridge and be new enough that I don't have to fix anything for 10 years. I haven't driven a Y62, but I have sat in one and that was enough for me to decide there was no fucking way I was buying a 70 series. Buying a 70 series for $70,000 is step one, then you have to spend another $20,000 on shit to make it the way it should be from factory. Leave the 70 series for commercial businesses that need them. They have no place outside of a mine site.

Comment

+1 on the Y62, seen a well driven one get surprisingly far off-road.

Or the new Defender.

Or a dual cab with either a very large RTT or duals.

Parramatta Eels, 2009 Premiership rightful winners.

Comment

I recently sold my 4wd triton for a Toyota wagon (Prado - don't laugh) because we thought we needed it for our family of 4, similar brief. Honestly I don't know why wagons are so popular, should have stuck with the Ute. Wagon has poorer turning circle, fuck all storage which means spending money on trailer/roof rack etc., poorer ground clearance, heavier etc. Also toyota tax. Must admit, much nicer on the open road though. I reckon if you can find a tray or tub arrangement which works for you then a Ute is worth considering.

(The truth is we wanted an enclosed cabin to protect all the shit from the Darwin wet seasons. We're both short arses so reaching into a Ute tub with canopy doesn't work well for us - I guess it meets that brief)
                  Last edited by Likes Dirt; 17-09-19, 09:33 PM.

Comment

Test drive a Y62 back to back with a 200 series then tell me what colour Y62 you're getting.
                    The customer.

Comment

Originally posted by Paydirt View Post
                      Test drive a Y62 back to back with a 200 series then tell me what colour Y62 you're getting.
                      Haha we have a 200 at work. Granted it is pov spec but it's incredibly basic and slow. Would love a crack at a Y62. What real world fuel usage do people get?

Comment

Ive had a Isuzu Mu-X for nearly a year now, absolutely love it. Good value for money as well

Comment

Sorry bro, but how does a Prado not do pretty everything you want with minimal fuss ?
                          The older i get, the better i was...

Comment

Jeep gladiator? That's what I would look at next after having a few sproglets.

Comment

Y62 for a wagon, or new ram 1500/used 2500 for a ute.

Dunno about the 1500, but the 2500s are capable as. Unless the track is tight lol.

But a 1500 would be no less capable than a ranger or hilux etc, and those cunts do simpson/high country etc all the time.
                              ​​​​
                              Originally posted by Rdyno
                              70ynu has to be the most retarded cunt here. "Help me please" me "you need to remove your head" him "fuck off cunt I'm to lazy fuck off out of my thread you told me to do something I don't want to do so you're a cunt fuck off can some one please tell me an easier way???"
                              Originally posted by Tripper
                              Its a tight battle between you and rogercordia for the most retarded member on here, thou i think you have it by 5 window licks

Comment

Working...
                              X