Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Tourer/4x4 for under 15k? (That's Safe for Kids)

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Tourer/4x4 for under 15k? (That's Safe for Kids)

Hi All,

I just need some advise of my though process at the moment.

I'm looking for a 4x4 that's capable of doing Fraser Island, but also needs to have 2nd Row Airbags for the Kids.

So my shortlist is the following, which isn't much in the following order.

- Prado 120 in VX or Grande Spec

- Pajero NT Diesel and later

- Subaru Forester with the 5sp Man Dual Range

I'm leaning towards the Prado for the long range tanks etc, but my budget will only suffice for a Petrol version. So i'm assuming it will do around 17L per 100km around town?

Which way would you go? or any other options? ( It will be my daily driver as well)

Pajero but in the model that doesn't break.
    Parramatta Eels, 2009 Premiership rightful winners.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyHusseinXF View Post
      Pajero but in the model that doesn't break.
      Which one is that?

Comment

If you don't have a lift kit, roof rack etc on the Prado you should get 15's around town if you don't drive like a dickhead. The money you save buying and servicing it (compared to the diesels) more than covers the fuel costs. Also the big tanks help with buying at the low point in the cycle.

Comment

Grand cherokee
          Originally posted by Rdyno
          70ynu has to be the most retarded cunt here. "Help me please" me "you need to remove your head" him "fuck off cunt I'm to lazy fuck off out of my thread you told me to do something I don't want to do so you're a cunt fuck off can some one please tell me an easier way???"
          Originally posted by Tripper
          Its a tight battle between you and rogercordia for the most retarded member on here, thou i think you have it by 5 window licks

Comment

Pathfinder TI 550

Or failing that, PFs favorite 4wd, the legendary porsche cayenne
            70ynu has to be the most retarded cunt here. "Help me please" me "you need to remove your head" him "fuck off cunt I'm to lazy fuck off out of my thread you told me to do something I don't want to do so you're a cunt fuck off can some one please tell me an easier way???"
            Its a tight battle between you and rogercordia for the most retarded member on here, thou i think you have it by 5 window licks

Comment

Originally posted by Gats View Post
              If you don't have a lift kit, roof rack etc on the Prado you should get 15's around town if you don't drive like a dickhead. The money you save buying and servicing it (compared to the diesels) more than covers the fuel costs. Also the big tanks help with buying at the low point in the cycle.
              Thats the same as i was thinking. There seems to be a saving of around 4-5k if you go Petrol.

Comment

Originally posted by MRMOPARMAN View Post
                Grand cherokee
                Very tempting, have heard their not very reliable?

Comment

Pathfinder TI 550

Or failing that, PFs favorite 4wd, the legendary porsche cayenne
                  Can't find a Pathfinder 550 in the price rage. lol at the Porsche

Comment

Originally posted by menace View Post

Very tempting, have heard their not very reliable?
                    Nope, 3.6 as reliable as anything else. Should get a really good one for $15k. As there are plenty of them out there mechanics are now familiar with the fixes for the water pump and oil filter on earlier models.

Aim for an eight speed 2015 onwards (different oil filter) petrol 3.6. Make sure all the electrics work and you'll be fine.

If you need diesel look elsewhere in that price range.

Comment

My inlaws have an early 5 speed diesel wk2, tow a 3t van all over australia with it and havent had one iota of trouble with it. The downside is they have a fairly shit payload.

Comment

Originally posted by mizone View Post

Nope, 3.6 as reliable as anything else. Should get a really good one for $15k. As there are plenty of them out there mechanics are now familiar with the fixes for the water pump and oil filter on earlier models.

Aim for an eight speed 2015 onwards (different oil filter) petrol 3.6. Make sure all the electrics work and you'll be fine.

If you need diesel look elsewhere in that price range.
                        The diesels are reliable as (always have been) and reports from a mate that worked at chrysler until recently is that the 5 speeds are heaps more reliable than the 8 speeds. And they dont cost $10k+ when they need replacing.

Comment

My inlaws have an early 5 speed diesel wk2, tow a 3t van all over australia with it and havent had one iota of trouble with it. The downside is they have a fairly shit payload.
                          Same payload +/- 15kgs as a 200 series once you load it with fuel.

They aren't that big inside so you would have to be special to overload them imo.

Comment

The diesels are reliable as (always have been) and reports from a mate that worked at chrysler until recently is that the 5 speeds are heaps more reliable than the 8 speeds. And they dont cost $10k+ when they need replacing.
                            The 5 speeds that are breaking are just not being taken to dealers. Serviced 8 speed is more reliable, but the stupid FCA service schedule mix ups / change ups / confusion has ruined that for most people.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyHusseinXF View Post

Same payload +/- 15kgs as a 200 series once you load it with fuel.

They aren't that big inside so you would have to be special to overload them imo.
                              5 adults and an 80l fridge full of food will overload one. Thats without bullbars, winches and the like.
                              I dunno about the cruiser, but kerb weight sometimes includes a full tank (tanks?) of fuel.

I was working at chrysler not long after the nag1 was released and the only troubles we had were the valvebody plug seals leaking. Never seen or heard of one pulled at the dealerships. And look on the merc forums, they are basically grandfathers axe of a 5 speed auto.

As opposed to an ex workmate telling me he has personally pulled atleast 5x 8 speeds in a regional city dealership, unless he is bullshitting me, id say the 5 speed is far, far more reliable.
                              Last edited by MRMOPARMAN; 17-01-20, 11:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X