Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Tourer/4x4 for under 15k? (That's Safe for Kids)

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prado petrol.. Mine is 20 years old, and gets 15L/100km city, so I'm guessing the 4L is similar. Has done Fraser fine. And yeah, 150L of fuel capacity kicks arse.

Buy a replacement engine or gearbox from Woolworths. But you shouldn't need one until about 400,000km anyhow.
    your former friendly cambodian dictator

Comment

No airbags for kids but I bet this would make them smile and get addicted to POWAAH.

https://youtu.be/ooePMTz9Wno

Massive THANK YOU to ALL PF Doctors and medical staff and ALL essential workers keeping the machine called Australia running.

THANK YOU ALL.

Comment

Watch this. Who needs airbags?.... I grew up without them. And I’m completely normal....You want your kids to turn out like Walt. 100%. LOLZ.

Even went to school in a Dodge Charger R/T 426 HEMI. With Dad leaving railway tracks from the school. Never thought once about air bags.

Your kids will thank you later.

If they don’t die in it.

https://youtu.be/bk0lxLzOVpw
        Massive THANK YOU to ALL PF Doctors and medical staff and ALL essential workers keeping the machine called Australia running.

THANK YOU ALL.

Comment

Yeah i tend to agree. Not once has an airbag entered my mind wrt a car purchase and i have 4 kids.

That Jeep is Mint!!
          I climbed Mt Druitt

Comment

Originally posted by MartyHusseinXF View Post
            The 5 speeds that are breaking are just not being taken to dealers. Serviced 8 speed is more reliable, but the stupid FCA service schedule mix ups / change ups / confusion has ruined that for most people.
            Yeah don't get me started with FCA dealerships. The eight speeds will crack rear housings on earlier German built boxes. FCA took the box inhouse and did mods to make it more reliable.

Servicing seems eay enough on the eight speed. Drop oil, remove bottom pan with inbuilt filter, put in new pan filter combo, add unicorn jizz expensive fluid, run and go through gears until it hits 36oC, check fluid and add fluid if needed, repeat. I don't have a hoist nor anyone who knows this proceedure here in WA so am hunting for a good gearbox person.

As for the diesel comment, it's more a question of purchase price rather than reliability. The diesels fetch very good coin used and are well outside of his $15k budget last time I looked.

Comment

Jeep commander any good?

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...SSE-AD-6458430

Comment

I have the same year model Grand Cherokee which is the same car underneath. I think you will find that is way overpriced. The 5.7's seem to take longer to sell than the CRD's do.
                Had mine 18 mths or so and had zero issues. Tows like a champ and was cheap. If you get one with QD 2 it is also very capable off road.

Mine...

https://performanceforums.com/forums...grand-cherokee

Click image for larger version

Name:	0701199d0a33084778567d6302a412c1.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	234.4 KB
ID:	7106669
                Last edited by bigshipengine.jpg; 19-01-20, 04:27 PM.
                I climbed Mt Druitt

Comment

People want the diesel for the towing ability. The 3.6 isn't a good tow engine IMHO. I'd love a 5.7 but they are just too much.

Comment

Commanders are ok. As bigshipengine mentioned, they are just a stretched WH.
                    I love the Hemis, but i wouldnt touch it unless the heads had been reco'd or it was built after they fixed the infamous valve seat issue.
                    There arent many commanders about, so replacement body/interior parts could be a bit of a pain potentially?
                    ​​​​​​
                    The 3rd row seating wreaks of afterthought, there are much better 3rd row setups out there. Great if used as a 5 seater with a big boot though. Heaps of rear overhang isnt ideal offroad either.

Did i mention they are fuckin ugly?
                    Originally posted by Rdyno
                    70ynu has to be the most retarded cunt here. "Help me please" me "you need to remove your head" him "fuck off cunt I'm to lazy fuck off out of my thread you told me to do something I don't want to do so you're a cunt fuck off can some one please tell me an easier way???"
                    Originally posted by Tripper
                    Its a tight battle between you and rogercordia for the most retarded member on here, thou i think you have it by 5 window licks

Comment

Just be clear, a family member suffered a permanent brain injury from a minor side impact, hence the reasons im going for side airbags.

Also found one without a cracked dash lol
                      https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2007-toyota-landcruiser-prado-grande-auto-4x4/OAG-AD-17694526
                      Last edited by menace; 31-01-20, 02:23 PM.

Comment

Early-ish Audi Q7 TDI. Fairly reliable to 300k as long as have been serviced. 6spd aisin transmission rated to 1000nm (same as LandCruiser). Can do light off road, ones with air suspension can lift 2-3 inches. We get around 12ltr/100 around town mixed driving. Under 10 open road. Tows like a boss. Rated to 3.5t braked. Ours is at around 175k, no major issues, i think fatz got to over 300k in his before he started 4x4 ing it. It still lives i believe. Most parts are easily obtainable online at reasonable prices these days too.

Paid 12k for ours a year ago with 160k km on it. Still banging.

Comment

Originally posted by menace View Post
                          Just be clear, a family member suffered a permanent brain injury from a minor side impact, hence the reasons im going for side airbags.

Also found one without a cracked dash lol
                          https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2007-toyota-landcruiser-prado-grande-auto-4x4/OAG-AD-17694526
                          I read somewhere when I was looking to buy, that they changed the dash plastics around 2007 so they didn't crack anymore. Mines a 2008 and it's perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by THE CHIEF View Post
                            Early-ish Audi Q7 TDI. Fairly reliable to 300k as long as have been serviced. 6spd aisin transmission rated to 1000nm (same as LandCruiser). Can do light off road, ones with air suspension can lift 2-3 inches. We get around 12ltr/100 around town mixed driving. Under 10 open road. Tows like a boss. Rated to 3.5t braked. Ours is at around 175k, no major issues, i think fatz got to over 300k in his before he started 4x4 ing it. It still lives i believe. Most parts are easily obtainable online at reasonable prices these days too.

Paid 12k for ours a year ago with 160k km on it. Still banging.
                            has 32s on it now and goes most places

considering a home mad snorkle and winch bar to do the cape ( chance of walking home high but it’s insured)

towed its whole life

Check out my shit for sale on facebook:
                            https://www.facebook.com/pages/Junk-...25870327473735

Comment

I stand corrected, lol.

Comment

Found some mud holes yesterday and ripped some hellis

kids loved it
                                #q7lovesitClick image for larger version

Name:	AEC50672-3A87-4098-B807-5826812451B9.jpeg
Views:	135
Size:	6.88 MB
ID:	7110088
                                Check out my shit for sale on facebook:
                                https://www.facebook.com/pages/Junk-...25870327473735

Comment

Working...
                                X