Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Tourer/4x4 for under 15k? (That's Safe for Kids)

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by menace View Post
    Just be clear, a family member suffered a permanent brain injury from a minor side impact, hence the reasons im going for side airbags.

Also found one without a cracked dash lol
    https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2007-toyota-landcruiser-prado-grande-auto-4x4/OAG-AD-17694526
    Fair call.
    I climbed Mt Druitt

Comment

What about a Freelander 2?

They are a little smaller than what you were originally looking at, but scored extremely well on the crash tests, and the 2nd row has side airbags http://www.howsafeisyourcar.com.au/2...6sp-4x4-2_2DT/

It's basically a Volvo XC70 with the additional off-road capabilities from Land Rover. With decent set of tyres will handle beach work easy enough, no low range with the Terrain Reponse gizmos you wouldn't miss it. Can tow 2 tonnes.

$15k would get you a good one easily.

Only thing is they have a small fuel tank, 68L, but the 2.2 diesel is surprisingly economical so is usually not a big problem.
      Jaguar XJR, Freelander 2 HSE, Jaguar XKR, MINI Cooper S
      Originally posted by nutttr
      People must assume you are some sort of drug dealer with all these nice cars turning up to a fibro home

Comment

Interesting option, anything to look for on those?

Comment

Good service history is a start.

Early ones, say pre-2010, sometimes had rear diff issues, and issues with the Haldex coupling, which were updated to improved versions in the later models. Never happened to mine but it's worth mentioning.

You will want to have a fully-loaded model, like an HSE, more gadgets, nicer seats, etc the povo packs are really povo, and some might be missing the Terrain Response system, which you will want for off-roading.

The vinyl top of the dashboard will often split on cars that have lived outside their whole life, it's a shitty/expensive thing to fix (ask me how I know) but in the worst case just stick a dashmat over the top.

The panoramic roof can jamb up from lack of use, which strips the plastic teeth in the motor, so if you can find a fully-loaded HSE without the roof, you'll be much happier.

They go through the stock brakes pretty quick, but there aftermarket pads & rotors which wear better, &/or fit the bigger front brakes from the petrol models.

Aside from that they are pretty solid.

The usual diesel things like EGR and coked up intakes, but hey that's diesel life. EGR can be fixed with a tune (with more powerz too)
          The 2.2 is the same used in Mondeo, Galaxy, and various Citroen/Peugeot soot-chuckers. It's not the same 2.2 motor as the Ranger or Defender.

You can get lift kits for them (not that I think they need lifting) the kits are urethane spacers for the tops of the struts, 1" or 1,5" from memory, i lifted mine by fitting bigger tyres...

Jay from Perth here on PF had one for sale, not sure if it's sold in the meantime.
          Jaguar XJR, Freelander 2 HSE, Jaguar XKR, MINI Cooper S
          Originally posted by nutttr
          People must assume you are some sort of drug dealer with all these nice cars turning up to a fibro home

Comment

Really appreciate the response. Some really great info there, they seem pretty solid.

Comment

subbed. so many good options out there. I know notinh about land rovers but they do seem interesting...
              ~~ ~~
              ~ (**) ~
              ~~ /\~~
              ~ mmm...stick boobies~

Comment

Are the v8 Q7’s any good or tdi are the go? Seems like a lot of car for the money
                If in doubt, flat out!

Comment

V8tdi is a winner
                  Check out my shit for sale on facebook:
                  https://www.facebook.com/pages/Junk-...25870327473735

Comment

What is yours?
                    If in doubt, flat out!

Comment

3.0tdi

Comment

May have spoke to early

320k and starting to get a regular ( intake manifold sensor leak)

eg I have to resell the intake gasket

naturaly being lazy I’ll just selatic it and report back

Comment

mate just bought a disco 4 with 250k on the clock for 18k. seems like a mad gamble to me. disco 3's seem a lot cheaper. are they way shitter?

carsales has a 2010 freelander HSE with 96k on the clock for 15k. seems like a great deal.

~~ ~~
                          ~ (**) ~
                          ~~ /\~~
                          ~ mmm...stick boobies~

Comment

Originally posted by YBS1OW View Post
                            mate just bought a disco 4 with 250k on the clock for 18k. seems like a mad gamble to me. disco 3's seem a lot cheaper. are they way shitter?

carsales has a 2010 freelander HSE with 96k on the clock for 15k. seems like a great deal.
                            Id love a d4 or nice d3, but when they fail, they seem to fail spectacularly.
                            Tow car/camping bus: 2011 D40 Navara ST

Baby mobile: 2016 Nissan Qashqai

75 Mini Clubman club racer - DCOE powah

Comment

Working...
                            X