Canning Stock Route; who's done it?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A road trip with some element of adventure. Both of us love the idea of being totally isolated and just seeing the country. There's some desire to 4wd and that but I'm not overly keen on crazy tracks in the car I've got unless i go down the 105 series route and if I can avoid that I would like to.
    what attracted me to CSR was the length of the track and how difficult it can be, and the sheer isolation.

Originally posted by Gussy
    It's the PF way. "Put a twin turbo LS in it brah, you'll have it converted and running in 2.5 hours and make an eazy 1000rwkw, lulz" All while the same people who suggest this stuff drive around in a corolla and have a fucked VN sitting in the garage for the past 3 years as a "project car."

Comment

watch this, seems like a good trip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgp3...yK4EIXUUFg4D4h

Comment

Originally posted by Shep View Post
        All the iconic dirt roads in Australia are drivable in any stock car, the most common car type in remote Northern Territory is a 6 cyl rear wheel drive Aussie made sedan.
        those fuckers go anywhere and it’s all down to soft suspension. Put heavy duty suspension into anything and it will rattle to bits.
        I'm with this guy - I've trolled a few of the 'You need an 80's turbodiesel Landcruiser with twin tanks and $20k of accessories to drive to the Gold Coast from Brisbane' types with this picture on Facebook.

Fuck, they hate that. It's hilarious.

We crossed half the bloody country over two years on Supercats with the torsion bars on their lowest setting and no punctures. Only mechanical issues were a hole in the sump and the rear vision mirror falling off. Just pack some Selley's Knead it.

We did drown it slightly once but that was our fault.

Comment

My first trip to Darwin from Adelaide with the nopics was in an XF Falcon on gas, somewhere between Kings Canyon and the Stuart Hwy on a "short cut" we were stopped on the side of the road having a drink and bite to eat, when a well loaded up Hilux went flying past " they've got a 4WD" she says implying that we should too. My reply was that the local indigenous population use XF Falcons.

Resuming our trip it wasn't long till we came apon the aforementioned Hilux, albeit with only 3 wheels. The drivers side front hub had parted company.... suffice to say there were no more disparaging comments about the Falcon after that. It delivered us to Darwin without a single hiccup over the 3 week trip, we sold it to the wreckers for $100 and flew home!
          " Racing cars don't have doors. Toilets have doors" : Keke Rosberg

Comment

LOL long live the XF!

Not that I am at all doubting any of you guys, but every 4wd magazine and website I've been on suggests that doing CSR in anything other than a reasonably equipped 4wd with low range is suicide. The corrugated track is apparently very rough on any vehicle. I'd like to think my 03 pajero would survive but don't know how confident I should be.
            It's the PF way. "Put a twin turbo LS in it brah, you'll have it converted and running in 2.5 hours and make an eazy 1000rwkw, lulz" All while the same people who suggest this stuff drive around in a corolla and have a fucked VN sitting in the garage for the past 3 years as a "project car."

Comment

Nothing a Val or XA to XF falcon can't handle......

Just make sure you have some spare ball joints for the Falcon though.

Not trips like your planning, but in my misspent youth when I owned a variety of early model shitboxes that I paid a maximum of $300 for, I would take those things on some pretty rough tracks that they were apparently not supposed to go. Some careful driving and you could get just about anywhere.

Comment

4WD magazines and websites are for selling 4WD accessories.......

When you have faith in what you are driving you can go many places, just don't be silly about it. Softly sprung, bit of ground clearance, not weighed down.....
                " Racing cars don't have doors. Toilets have doors" : Keke Rosberg

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBoRi View Post
                  I fucking love PF for giving genuine, non ARB sponsored advice.
                  11 hot tips for crossing the Simpson Desert, number 8 will blow your mind.
                  Jaguar XJR, Freelander 2 HSE, Jaguar XKR, MINI Cooper S
                  Originally posted by nutttr
                  People must assume you are some sort of drug dealer with all these nice cars turning up to a fibro home

Comment

There's a difference between taking a bush basher that costs you 5k and you give no fucks about on the CSR, or any long distant track... and taking your dedicated tourer / daily that tours long distance that you care about on these long tracks.

It's the kind of track that no matter what you do, drive, spend - you'll be replacing a heap of shit regardless because it's going to cop a flogging on the corrugations.

Pajero will do it, just as long as you have the fuel range... The fuel drop is no longer, but there is a community with fuel and supplies that will suffice.

It's corrugated to shit, you will overheat soft suspension - you want the right stuff to support the load you are carrying. If you blow a shock, suck it up and drive without them - doesn't work for coilovers / struts but the big boy rigs will just be bouncy as without shocks - doesnt stop you from getting to the end though.

Drive smart and slowly and with the right tyre pressures. Slightly larger than stock LT ATs, non-agressive ones, will float on the sand dunes as you idle up them... no need for full throttle and rooster tails

It's 2,000kms of beating the shit out of your vehicle, imagine driving up every curb on the street at speed for a year.

I'd happily take an old bush basher up the track and then bin it... as much as I'd happily take my 80 that's built specifically from remote touring and then maintain it afterwards... and the old girl has already done the track, and had to tow a busted arse F250 up half of it as it blew the driveshaft.
                    Last edited by South; 14-01-20, 09:25 PM.

Comment

So 19s on the cayenne instead of the 22s.

If you’re looking for a more established outback/off roady tour: ithoroughly recommend the Gibb. The locals used Commodores when i last drove it.

Comment

I've driven a Prado and a Falcon RTV the whole Gibb river road from West to East. The Prado copped $5k damage when I destroyed a wheel in a rock doing about 30km/h. The ute shat it in. In fact the year after I did it, the RTV had to do the road three times in three days and not one puncture, and the horses weren't spared.

Comment

Fuel drop gone you say South?

I'm thinking maybe buying a second 4wd that's a bit rough and chucking some ok suspension at it rather than risk my daily which is clean. Landcruisers are cheap if they're petrol and old.
                          lots of ideas, thanks heaps guys.

Comment

Just don't drive like a fuckwit, or overload and you'll be fine. You're better off using a vehicle, any vehicle, that you know is super reliable and well maintained.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBoRi View Post
                              So 19s on the cayenne instead of the 22s.

If you’re looking for a more established outback/off roady tour: ithoroughly recommend the Gibb. The locals used Commodores when i last drove it.
                              +1 for Gibb River Rd. Can’t wait to do it again.

Comment

I did it in a sigma wagon.

.... because every driver experiences the destructive potential of the effortless surge of power available through the smallest of body movements.

Dr Hoon

DrNick is king!!!! No, Mark Webber is now! Long live the king!... hold on a minute mate, Ricci is in charge now

Comment

Working...
                                X