No announcement yet.

In vehicle aux battery chargers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vaguely considering a Powertech/Jaycar one, mainly because we get bulk pricing from them by default: https://www.jaycar.com.au/dual-input...eries/p/MB3940

Hard to find decent specs for most of them, except the ones that they are charging the earth for.

Got a bit of time before any decisions though, as I think this was our last camping weekend before next summer due to bubs.
    Chris
    ------
    The new nugget
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Comment

Originally posted by takai View Post
      Vaguely considering a Powertech/Jaycar one, mainly because we get bulk pricing from them by default: https://www.jaycar.com.au/dual-input...eries/p/MB3940

Hard to find decent specs for most of them, except the ones that they are charging the earth for.

Got a bit of time before any decisions though, as I think this was our last camping weekend before next summer due to bubs.
      I was considering one of these early on but someone pointed out to me to check out the operating temperature of different units and this one is only -10 to 45c and the temps in my canopy where it would be exceed that.
      Other units have a max of 75c and even 90c for reference.
      I climbed Mt Druitt

Comment

Originally posted by bigshipengine.jpg View Post

I was considering one of these early on but someone pointed out to me to check out the operating temperature of different units and this one is only -10 to 45c and the temps in my canopy where it would be exceed that.
        Ah good point, thanks for alerting me to that. Will scratch that one then.
        Chris
        ------
        The new nugget
        I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Comment

Not QUITE on topic but after going thru the Aux Battery path on the D40 I’m opting for a simple Anderson plug to charge the 220Ah batteries in the off grid caravan. Solar vs our usage they die out after about three days. V6 Petrol HiLux. We use it like a Generator. Half to One hour and back to full charges. Just a thought for the camper mob.
          [B][SIZE=20px][COLOR=#e74c3c]NOT LONG TO GO UNTIL “Not My President” Season 2 starts.
          I love that show![/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Comment

Originally posted by bigshipengine.jpg View Post

I did a bit of digging on the Powertech unit, and i found one reference on a US website which seems to the same unit or at least from the same supplier.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-02-20 at 5.34.42 pm.png
Views:	138
Size:	364.8 KB
ID:	7228845

That is listing up to 80C at a reduced rate, which seems to be the same standard as others.

From a caravan forum it seems to taper off by 80C but still runs afterwards, so has some form of temperature control.

On another website the -10 to 45C seems to refer to battery temperatures in their manual, and some US sites complaining about batteries not charging in winter.

That said, the broader temp range of say the Renology (-35C to 65C) does instil some confidence, but even then 65C isnt that high.
            Chris
            ------
            The new nugget

Comment

Ah that's interesting! Makes it seem like a good choice at the budget end then.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I climbed Mt Druitt

Comment

Don’t you want your DC to DC to be cutting out at higher temps to look after the battery?

Comment

Originally posted by Ned Loh View Post
                  Don’t you want your DC to DC to be cutting out at higher temps to look after the battery?
                  Yes, but you generally want it to be monitoring battery temp, rather than just presuming Charger temp == battery temp
                  Chris
                  ------
                  The new nugget

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Biden View Post
                    Not QUITE on topic but after going thru the Aux Battery path on the D40 I’m opting for a simple Anderson plug to charge the 220Ah batteries in the off grid caravan. Solar vs our usage they die out after about three days. V6 Petrol HiLux. We use it like a Generator. Half to One hour and back to full charges. Just a thought for the camper mob.
                    Another option (better, dare I say?) to do this as I said before if you have an aux battery in your vehicle still, just connect the aux battery in the vehicle to the solar input on your caravans DCDC charger.

Siphons the power out from your vehicle aux to your van without running your motor and you get to recharge the vehicles aux battery next time you go for a drive anyway.

Last edited by KarenHusseinXF; 22-02-21, 10:56 AM.
                    Parramatta Eels, 2009 Premiership rightful winners.

Comment

Yes, but you generally want it to be monitoring battery temp, rather than just presuming Charger temp == battery temp
                      yup, which is why you want the DC to DC charger as close to the battery it’s charging as possible

Comment

yup, which is why you want the DC to DC charger as close to the battery it’s charging as possible
                        That often makes it a pain for wiring etc. Most of the better ones have a remote temperature probe for the battery.
                        Chris
                        ------
                        The new nugget

Comment

That often makes it a pain for wiring etc. Most of the better ones have a remote temperature probe for the battery.
                          still talking about the Jaycar / Powertech? I thought that temp sensing in that was internal.

Comment

still talking about the Jaycar / Powertech? I thought that temp sensing in that was internal.
                            Nah, looking at ones like the Redarc, CTEK, and a few of the blingier ones.

Interestingly the Renology has an external temp probe too.

I think ill be looking for one with an external sensor, as I suspect I will be mounting the battery lower in the canopy than the charger for wiring and mounting reasons.
                            Last edited by takai; 22-02-21, 06:17 PM.
                            Chris
                            ------
                            The new nugget

Comment

Originally posted by KarenHusseinXF View Post

Another option (better, dare I say?) to do this as I said before if you have an aux battery in your vehicle still, just connect the aux battery in the vehicle to the solar input on your caravans DCDC charger.

Siphons the power out from your vehicle aux to your van without running your motor and you get to recharge the vehicles aux battery next time you go for a drive anyway.
                              Interesting thought.
                              My Toyota currently has no Aux Battery, and I’d prefer not to spend the $ on one...
                              I’m just looking for simplest option...the V6 is so quite in the camp it’s easy to forget it’s running. Have to set timer.
                              [B][SIZE=20px][COLOR=#e74c3c]NOT LONG TO GO UNTIL “Not My President” Season 2 starts.
                              I love that show![/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Comment

I'm looking into building some drawers and want the drawers shorter on one side so i can fit some Li battery at the back of one, will use a dc/dc redarc to charge it, from the main battery/car or solar, job done.
                                every time you try and go with unproven products you will end up paying for it, both financially and looking like a tool to your family, don't be that guy!

I'm also of the notion that if you have an accessories power network it should be separate from the main power of the car, the DC/DC charger should be the only place where they meet
                                Last edited by XFJET; 24-02-21, 11:28 AM.
                                Originally posted by BeverlyHillsCop
                                I think u should marry her... slip the ring inside your ass and next time she goes in, she'll come out with a ring on her finger...

Comment

Working...
                                X