Removing the rear seats vs dual cab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing the rear seats vs dual cab

I am fairly sure the answer will be engineering as 2 seater but I will ask anyway.

I am doing a Cape York trip in September and want to remove my rear seat to allowing my fridge,food,dry goods etc to be stored in the vehicle.

No mounting points being added or changed can either leave seat belts in or out, Have reached out to an engineer for advice =and will speak with RMS technical hotline tomorrow but anyone have any experience with this type of temporary mod in NSW ?

The problem is more likely to be if you get pulled over in Qld. There have been some pretty cunty cops up that way pinging tourists for seat removal in the past.
    Essentially, if you have to undo bolts to remove the seats it is "permanent" and requires engineering.

Comment

Yeah the driving through QLD was my concern, I will wait and see what RMS have to add

Comment

I completed a 6 month ‘round Oz trip a couple of years ago (including the Cape) in a Prado with the 2nd and 3rd row seats removed. No issues. Plenty of other travellers I ran into did the same. You’d have to be pretty unlucky to get pinged (ie fail the attitude test).

Comment

Can you just cut up some sheets of timber, cover them in black paint it cheap fabric and bolt them into the mounts... And then claim that's the seat? You can then stack everything on it, nice and flat
          Originally posted by piss98
          fuck I'd be happy to suck Bill Gates off

Comment

Have no 2nd or 3rd row seats in mine, never been a problem.

I figure this is a bit of an urban legend started by some mouth breather who failed the attitude test one day.

Comment

I know it's not Prado related, but few Supra guys had to re-register their cars as 2 seaters when removing the rear seats, though they intended on it being more permanent.
              '13 Yamaha R1 // '16 Toyota Hilux SR5 // '00 Toyota Supra RZ // '72 Ford XA Fairmont

Sell me your old videogames? Nintendo, Sega, PlayStation, some XBox...

Comment

Out of all the things to get pinged for in a 4x4, you'd have to be a proper yahoo to get pinged for this in my experience.

Parramatta Eels, 2009 Premiership rightful winners.

Comment

Pfft you'd have to seriously fail the attitude test to cop shit over that surely. Removed the back row in my landcruisers the day I got both of them, fucked if I'm coughing up to have that blue plated. No cop has ever batted an eyelid. The entire back-seat may be different but it be surprised.

Make sure you put the bolts back in unless you want stinky carpet after water crossings.
                  Originally posted by FatBoy
                  Trump v Clinton is like cheering for the clap or genital warts. Either way it's gonna be ugly....

Comment

Iirc the only time you need to be blue plated for removing seats is if there is a non-removable structure that prevents the use of the rear seats, ie rollcage, or if it changes the catergory of the vehicle, ie 4 seat passenger car to 2 seat van.
                    We used to run a heap of Toyota Echos which had been converted to vans by removing the back seat and, critically, the rear seatbelts. It's usually the seatbelts that get them interested in needing a blue plate. I used to pull the seats out of my Grand Voyager to move stuff, no issues. Even pulled the back seat out of my old 121 Metro, again no issues.
                    To get pinged for it would be extremely bad luck, more so if the cop who books you happens to be in one of the Prados with a prisoner pod in the back.

Comment

Ended up speaking with an engineer who said that yes technically you do need a certificate and change the seating capacity but he hasn't heard of anyone getting done for it.

now if it ever stops raining I will go.remove the seat and make up a flat platform.

Comment

Originally posted by J.Peterman View Post
                        Ended up speaking with an engineer who said that yes technically you do need a certificate and change the seating capacity but he hasn't heard of anyone getting done for it.

So, what I said as the first response to the initial question... LOL

Comment

Originally posted by BigJonWB View Post

So, what I said as the first response to the initial question... LOL
                          I will be sure to consult you on any other matters moving forward then.

Comment

Originally posted by J.Peterman View Post

I will be sure to consult you on any other matters moving forward then.
                            Only ones I to which I know the answer please.

Comment

Working...
                            X