Driving on all terrains in the wet...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Driving on all terrains in the wet...

So... It doesn't rain much in Sydney apparently because I've driven in the wet maybe 3 times with the Range Rover in the last 6 months...

But I got new g015's on it because the 8 year old Pirelli Scorpions were like driving on an ice rink in the wet.

This is my first 4wd and first all terrains and it seems like these don't exactly grip that well in the wet, under braking and turning at "speed", I mean keeping up with other cars, you definitely feel them sliding, the good thing is that they slide very progressive and controllably, but I don't like sliding 2.x tonnes...

Am I simply driving too fast and need to lower my expectations...or?? I've had a full alignment done, so I'm fairly confident it's not that. In the same conditions at the same speed in our mazda cx-5 I'd have no issues... So I'm thinking it's weight plus A/T's??

Doesn’t sound quite right to me. But I think “average Sydney traffic” would be like driving 11 10ths where I currently live.

Comment

Originally posted by Likes Dirt View Post
      Doesn’t sound quite right to me. But I think “average Sydney traffic” would be like driving 11 10ths where I currently live.
      Ha, we do get to 60 around my area.... And everyone speeds too, usually.

Comment

If it hasn't rained in a while it can lift all the oils and diesel slopped out of trucks with dodgy tanks, but it has already been raining a bit. I need to confirm the model but the all terrain falkens I have on my bt50 now are incredible in the wet. The "long life" maxis and coopers can be pretty shit when they age a bit.

Comment

What pressure you running? Try lowering a few kPa and try again.
          2017 Ford Ranger XLT (Jeep Wrangler recovery vehicle)
          2007 KTM 250 SX

Originally posted by Monza
          I've never considered myself the type of guy to eat arse but I am currently reviewing that policy

Comment

Good point on the oils, a fair few trucks use the road... I figured it was potentially partially oils...

I would say these don't feel outright dangerous in the wet, more "lack of confidence inspiring"...

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Rust View Post
              What pressure you running? Try lowering a few kPa and try again.
              I think they were about 40psi... I haven't checked lately, I'd assume they were at 37-38 now...

255/55/19's...
              ​​​

Comment

I found mine quote sensitive to pressure to get a decent contact patch.
                2017 Ford Ranger XLT (Jeep Wrangler recovery vehicle)
                2007 KTM 250 SX

Originally posted by Monza
                I've never considered myself the type of guy to eat arse but I am currently reviewing that policy

Comment

So... I just looked it up (it's pissing down, I'm not going outside!) And 33 front 36 rear apparently??? That might explain it. That's a significant difference.

Comment

Originally posted by nutttr View Post

255/55/19's...
                    ​​​
                    At that size I assume L322?

I am running Wrangler Duratrac in that size on mine, haven't had any issues with grip dry or wet. I am a sympathetic driver though, I don't want to destroy expensive tyres by making 2.5 tonne of luxury keep up with small cars on twisty roads.

40psi front, 38 psi rear are my go to pressures. I up the rears to 40 when towing at highway speeds.

I have found lower pressures leads to excessive shoulder wear (both on my L322 and lots of customer D3 and D4 which run the same size).

Comment

my 120 prado AT's are at 36psi and fine, if you push it at a roundabout you can make it understeer and all of the dash lights up and the stability control kicks in but generally driving normal in the wet is fine

www.holditflat.com

Comment

Yeah they are often pretty average in the wet.

Some mud terrains go a fair bit better in that regard.
                        Parramatta Eels, 2009 Premiership rightful winners.

Comment

Yeah, they suck in the wet. They are a compromise.

I have no doubt they are better than the 8yo tyres that came off it though.

Coming from a 2016 hilux with AT's to a 2020 hilux with road tyres in the last 3 months it's chalk and cheese in the wet.
                          Last edited by BHDave; 18-03-21, 07:34 AM. Reason: retard can't spell
                          meh

Comment

Originally posted by nutttr View Post
                            Good point on the oils, a fair few trucks use the road... I figured it was potentially partially oils...

I would say these don't feel outright dangerous in the wet, more "lack of confidence inspiring"...

Yeah this.

It doesn't rain in Perf for months on end, but when it does after a long dry period the asphalt oils all rise to the surface and it's on for young and old.

Playing with tire pressure I found helps and you really do notice it a lot.
                            Last edited by mizone; 18-03-21, 12:24 PM.
                            Sent from my shed, trapped under a collapsed QuickJack, via Tapatalk

Comment

how old are the tyres? have you looked at the date code on them? they could've sat on the shelf a while before you got them
                              as someone with 'new' 2 year old dunlops

Comment

Working...
                              X