No announcement yet.

Driving on all terrains in the wet...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've owned various Patrols over the years with various A/T tyres.
    I have always found them OK in the wet, except when they get old and hard.

Yes, 2.5 or 3 tonnes means less speed around corners when wet.
    Race Car: VT Commodore (Murray)
    www.vsport.com.au

Comment

i run 265/65/18 KO2 on the cayenne and today on my way to work out of a corner decided to take the PSM off and floor it ... supreme drift spec moment, tail hanging out, oppo lock, felt like Carlos Sainz in the good old rally days, next stop trying to slow down from 80 was a oh shit moment... I just put it in comfort mode and drive it like a grandma when wet.... would not trust the nopics driving this thing with allterrains in the wet

All terrains are fucking deadly in the wet ....
      Originally posted by BeverlyHillsCop
      I think u should marry her... slip the ring inside your ass and next time she goes in, she'll come out with a ring on her finger...

Comment

Originally posted by BigJonWB View Post

At that size I assume L322?

I am running Wrangler Duratrac in that size on mine, haven't had any issues with grip dry or wet. I am a sympathetic driver though, I don't want to destroy expensive tyres by making 2.5 tonne of luxury keep up with small cars on twisty roads.

40psi front, 38 psi rear are my go to pressures. I up the rears to 40 when towing at highway speeds.

I have found lower pressures leads to excessive shoulder wear (both on my L322 and lots of customer D3 and D4 which run the same size).
        Yup - L322... I usually have it fairly light... no excess luggage or kit, etc... They do say 33 front 36 rear on the plate, so i'll give that a go... I suspect wear on the outside edges of the front will be an issue, but i don't do heaps of km, so might be OK

Originally posted by KarenHusseinXF View Post
        Yeah they are often pretty average in the wet.

Some mud terrains go a fair bit better in that regard.
        Originally posted by BHDave View Post
        Yeah, they suck in the wet. They are a compromise.

I have no doubt they are better than the 8yo tyres that came off it though.

Coming from a 2016 hilux with AT's to a 2020 hilux with road tyres in the last 3 months it's chalk and cheese in the wet.
        Originally posted by mizone View Post

Playing with tire pressure I found helps and you really do notice it a lot.
        Ta - all that feels like it rings true... i'll adjust my driving to suit. I'm not usually in a hurry these days, but good to know it's not just me!

Originally posted by Stix Zadinia View Post
        how old are the tyres? have you looked at the date code on them? they could've sat on the shelf a while before you got them
        as someone with 'new' 2 year old dunlops
        Yeah - they are 2019 tyres I think on the date code.. i'll double check again but for 2 of them I was waiting for a shipment from yokohama to come into the country... so can't be that old.

The old tyres were 100x worse, so it may just be pressure related. I had 38 all round...

Comment

Originally posted by GAZ914 View Post
          I've owned various Patrols over the years with various A/T tyres.
          I have always found them OK in the wet, except when they get old and hard.

Yes, 2.5 or 3 tonnes means less speed around corners when wet.
          Ta... Probably good advise. I'm hoping now i've let them down a bit that they are "ok" in the wet... Hopefully. Before i'd say they weren't scary, but i wouldn't want to try and emergency stop...

Originally posted by XFJET View Post
          i run 265/65/18 KO2 on the cayenne and today on my way to work out of a corner decided to take the PSM off and floor it ... supreme drift spec moment, tail hanging out, oppo lock, felt like Carlos Sainz in the good old rally days, next stop trying to slow down from 80 was a oh shit moment... I just put it in comfort mode and drive it like a grandma when wet.... would not trust the nopics driving this thing with allterrains in the wet

All terrains are fucking deadly in the wet ....
          lol... i haven't tried getting the back out but i'd be surprised if it was hard to do... The tyres are really progressive, they just get skatey... and slidey, but still controllable. Which is nice - but i'd rather not be sliding in the first place. Likewise I don't think my missus would be so cautious in the wet.

Comment

Yup proper 4wd are shit to drive... they serve a purpose, but standard cars are so much better.

Although mind you mine is 20 years old with no traction control, abs or airbags..probably wouldn't let anybody else drive it in the wet.
            RIP Simon - Ghost ride that whip in the clouds forever..

Comment

Originally posted by fury View Post
              Yup proper 4wd are shit to drive... they serve a purpose, but standard cars are so much better.

Although mind you mine is 20 years old with no traction control, abs or airbags..probably wouldn't let anybody else drive it in the wet.
              It's great to drive in the dry... It has traction control, abs and airbags... Luckily . But given centre diff is a torsen so it probably won't help I assume...

Comment

The K02's are fine on my thing 99% of the time in the wet. Very occasionally you'll get a slight push of understeer on a roundabout if it's greasy.

Comment

Aside from the obvious of old tyres, they pretty much all do it, even when new. Change to a highway terrain or a cross roader style of tyre helps, more rubber in contact with the road, more deflection from the tread blocks. Gaps in AT's (and even more aggressive MT's), along with stiff tread blocks means they struggle for grip in the wet. I find, rather than brand, pressure makes a hell of a difference. Especially if you aren't carrying anything / anyone in the back. Lowering the pressures and just adapting to how you have to drive becomes pretty normal. I know the bad sections of roads on my daily commute that always cause trouble in the wet, so I really slow down for those sections. Anything with a lot of ripples/bumps and you're fucked.
                  Originally posted by Buford T. Justice
                  This happens every time one of these floozies starts poontangin' around with those show folk fags.

Comment

Cheers Madhatr, I've lowered the pressure a fair bit now and will see how it goes, it was wet yesterday when I went out, but not road-wet-with-water-on-top like the other day, so I'll need to see. Definitely seemed to hold better on wet road yesterday, but there wasn't a need for water shedding so that wasn't tested.

I'm assuming they'll be just as bad on a wet freeway? (i.e. just as slidey)

Comment

not so much a problem going straight ahead. Not unless you go to brake in a hurry anyway.
                      Originally posted by Buford T. Justice
                      This happens every time one of these floozies starts poontangin' around with those show folk fags.

Comment

Originally posted by Madhatr View Post
                        not so much a problem going straight ahead. Not unless you go to brake in a hurry anyway.
                        Cheers... That's the thing that worries me is how they'll behave on a wet freeway, curves are pretty smooth on them but when you get roads in the mountains, etc, they are twisty. Don't want to find out they behave badly at 110....

Comment

I used to have a half worn BFG KM2 Muddies on my SWB Pajero and they were diabolical in the wet.. seriously like a dog on wet lino...
                          It was almost unsafe to drive it in the wet if it wasn't in "super-select 4WD mode" With it in 4WD is was still shit, but at least it gave a little bit of warning just before it let go....

In comparison, I now have a set of Falken Wildpeak AT3W All Trrains and they are fantastic......

Comment

The G015 has been around for a few years, I've had a set on my Challenger for the last 4-5 years. I find them to be pretty decent in wet, even at 36-38psi

Comment

I've got g015s on a 200 series. I though the were pretty good. The thing weighs like 3 tonnes so Its not a race car. I just drive to the conditions . Handles better than a dual cab would in similar weather. They are shitful things for rear grip. Brother has a Navara with K02s and steep hillstarts in the wet are a joke.
                              Last edited by burn is weird; 20-03-21, 09:40 PM.

Oo___oO

Comment

Mud Terrains will fix the wet weather issues. They will also fix the annoying issue of having to speak to the nopics while driving.
                                I'm not straight outta Compton, I'm straight out the trailer.

Comment

Working...
                                X