No announcement yet.

The new Ford Ranger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I went looking the other day to understand what the go is with the Thai built trucks and drums brakes and leaf springs. I originally thought some markets needed drums to meet a certain class of commercial vehicle but perhaps not. My googling showed that Thailand offers incentives for vehicles being built with parts that include 'specialties of Thailand' of which drum brakes and leaf springs are. Can anyone confirm?

(I'm not suggesting that pickups would all convert to coils if that wasn't in place)

Comment

Originally posted by lukevl View Post
      I went looking the other day to understand what the go is with the Thai built trucks and drums brakes and leaf springs. I originally thought some markets needed drums to meet a certain class of commercial vehicle but perhaps not. My googling showed that Thailand offers incentives for vehicles being built with parts that include 'specialties of Thailand' of which drum brakes and leaf springs are. Can anyone confirm?

(I'm not suggesting that pickups would all convert to coils if that wasn't in place)
      Don't know about the disc brake thing but there is definitionally different tax structures and tariffs for vehicles with leaf springs.

Also fpr SUV's and thats why Ford Thailand built 500 short wheel base coil sprung Rangers................. because the Everest is "based" on a Ranger !!

Don't mention the adBlocker !!

Comment

Originally posted by 36 View Post

Coils on Raptor. Hard to beat leaf springs for load carrying. Raptor and Wildtrack (at least) get rear discs.
        So same as the current Raptor then ?

where are you guys reading about the specs on on the new Wildtraks and Raptors, got a link ?

Comment

Originally posted by fondles View Post

where are you guys reading about the specs on on the new Wildtraks and Raptors, got a link ?
          It was in the media release

Comment

Originally posted by fondles View Post

https://www.whichcar.com.au/news/202...AQHAFA7cnsf92I

Comment

Thanks,

I assume the wildtrak gets rear discs because V6 engine ?

Everything else is basically the same except the track and wheelbase.

Fox has yet to release their 2.0 shocks for the PX3 Ranger (Different to PX2), I believe that will be in February next year..... very very late to the current model party or does the PX3 suspension carry over to the new model ?

Comment

I haven’t seen a car yet but being Ford I’d say there is a 99% chance everything is different. Even if there wasn’t a track difference they would reengineer the suspension. Hence why the ride is best in class

Comment

Originally posted by lukevl View Post

IIRC, and this is just from memory, I remember reading at the time when the Japanese utes started being built in Thailand that there was some kind of duty or excise incentive to go with drums and leaves. With non-drum / leaf rear axled vehicles (maybe just utes) getting a penalty excise or something on export.

Comment

Originally posted by elfturbomax View Post

IIRC, and this is just from memory, I remember reading at the time when the Japanese utes started being built in Thailand that there was some kind of duty or excise incentive to go with drums and leaves. With non-drum / leaf rear axled vehicles (maybe just utes) getting a penalty excise or something on export.
                    Basically anything with coil rear is classed as a passenger vehicle and attract different excise taxes compared to a leaf sprung vehicle which is classed as commercial.

They have some weird idea out here.

My Ranger is an extra cab so is registered as a two seat vehicle, A double Cab Ranger is 4/5 seat.

Annual road tax (rego).

Extra Cab - Bt.1000 ($42.00) per year.
                    Dual Cab - Bt. 6900 ($285.00) per year.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	2022_Ford_Ranger_Wildtrak_20.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	7315168

the side step behind the back wheel is genius
                      2017 Ford Ranger XLT (Jeep Wrangler recovery vehicle)
                      2007 KTM 250 SX

Originally posted by Monza
                      I've never considered myself the type of guy to eat arse but I am currently reviewing that policy

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Rust View Post
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	2022_Ford_Ranger_Wildtrak_20.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	7315168

the side step behind the back wheel is genius
                        They are a good thing and is something done here to other pickups, common on single cab with a step fitted into the tub body in front of the wheel.

Been thinking of adding to mine as iam a short cunt and my tub body is shoulder high to me.

Comment

Placed a Pre-order today for a Wildtrak.

New company car for the engineering Manager.... and a mule for part fitment.

Comment

Oh nice one. That’s going to be epic
                            2017 Ford Ranger XLT (Jeep Wrangler recovery vehicle)
                            2007 KTM 250 SX

Originally posted by Monza
                            I've never considered myself the type of guy to eat arse but I am currently reviewing that policy

Comment

I think you'd find the leaf/drum thing is more to do with the intended market. Remember in most countries these are viewed purely as work vehicles, not family cars. Commercial uses want cheap and durable, 2 things that leaf and drum rear ends are. The Snowy 2.0 project is a perfect example, a year or so ago there were a couple of guys running Navaras and a Raptor down there, they've all gone back to Hilux or low spec Rangers. Apparently the Navaras were having issues with the rear suspension, couldn't carry a load unless you put massive springs under them, fucking bushes, bending trailing arms etc. The Raptor killed it's rear brakes and bushes as well, the site roads are mega dusty when dry and slurry when wet despite dropping thousands of tonnes of roadbase over it. Sure the leaf sprung cars have had issues, shackle bushes hate life, but the onsite workshop can change a full set of shackle bushes on a Hilux during a smoko break.

Comment

What's the pricing?
                                RIP Simon - Ghost ride that whip in the clouds forever..

Comment

Working...
                                X