Trailer Towing the Einstein way....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by leothedrummer View Post
    Was once asked the towing capacity of a Suzuki Alto. Replied that there isn't any.
    I took one of them for a test drive when they where new, about half way up a not so steep incline i suggested to the salesman that maybe he should get out or we'd never make it back to the dealership. He took it in the right spirit and we had a good laugh.

Those things are overloaded if there is anything more than just the driver in them.

Comment

As a small car guy, I think the first thing you need with a small car is a towbar, you can't fit anything in the car so you need a towbar and trailer to move just about any bulky load.

I recall stupidly deciding to use my Mini Moke to pick up a new TV once, however to fit it in the Moke I had to fold the roof down, I was fairly toasted by the sun beating down on me by the time I'd returned home with the TV, would have been infinitely smarter to have just put the 6 x 4 on the back.
      " Racing cars don't have doors. Toilets have doors" : Keke Rosberg

Comment

Same here, I have a tow bar on my Echo. It's a Toyota unit with removable tongue rated at 350kg. Not much but it still leaves 175kg load in an average box trailer which is pretty useful.

Comment

I think the first model hybrid camry was 350kg too.
          And my understanding was that it was a Toyota Australia initiative, as it was the first Toyota hybrid to feature a towbar.

Comment

Originally posted by 9triton View Post

Should have said 'the towball'
            Not far off it !!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_125058.png
Views:	761
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	7256370

Don't mention the adBlocker !!

Comment

Originally posted by aerobrick View Post
              Guy down the street has a towbar on his Mazda 121. Uses it to tow shit when the hilux is (regularly) broken. Saw it desperate for front wheel traction with a solid axle+diff resting across a box trailer. Hillbilly liiiiiife
              There's actually a really good reason to fit a towbar to a 121 bubble and Metro, it protects the boot latch incase something taps the center of the rear bumper. Only reason why my current 121 doesn't have a towbar is because I'm reluctant to spend more on a towbar than I did on the car. That and there's 3 other cars here with towbars, and one of them is a 4wd.

Comment

Originally posted by Sturmovik View Post
                I think the first model hybrid camry was 350kg too.
                And my understanding was that it was a Toyota Australia initiative, as it was the first Toyota hybrid to feature a towbar.
                i thought it was something about the cvt not having a reverse gearset, so it only uses one of the electric motors to reverse? (rumor that i heard at some point that ive been unable/unwilling to prove/disprove)
                This is a post i wrote by mistake, which is nice...

Comment

you cant spell advertisements without semen between the tits

Comment

Hired a 6m long flat trailer last night to pick up a halfpipe that was in 6 sections. Got it all nicely strapped in for the journey home. Decided two things during the drive.
                    1: my driving style isn’t suited to a 6m long trailer
                    2: need to check the weight of this thing unloaded.

drop it off at the hire place and inspect the plaque.
                    940kg. Jesus Fucken Christmas.

Attached Files
                    2017 Ford Ranger XLT (Jeep Wrangler recovery vehicle)
                    2007 KTM 250 SX

Originally posted by Monza
                    I've never considered myself the type of guy to eat arse but I am currently reviewing that policy

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Rust View Post
                      Hired a 6m long flat trailer last night to pick up a halfpipe that was in 6 sections. Got it all nicely strapped in for the journey home. Decided two things during the drive.
                      1: my driving style isn’t suited to a 6m long trailer
                      2: need to check the weight of this thing unloaded.

drop it off at the hire place and inspect the plaque.
                      940kg. Jesus Fucken Christmas.
                      Hope those sections weren't heavy, 940kg tare with a 2000kg atm is pretty woeful.
                      I've had some, interesting, experiences towing recently, mostly to and from the Mt Selwyn area. Had a load of porta loos to take down, 4 on the deck and one ended up on the hitch, not fun when a porta loo trailer weights >400kg and is haning off a 12 meter long truck. Pretty sure it spent most of the time bouncing. Had similar experiences with a couple of light towers, they weight 1000-1500kg depending on model. Still really shit to tow. Had to drag a Vacuum trailer out of the site and back to Canberra, trailer weighs 4500kg and uses a pintle hook. Was a slow trip back, partly because the trailer isn't supposed to go over 80km/h and partly because the truck wasn't really going to get to that speed with 7 tonne on the deck and another 4500+kg on the hitch. I say 4500+ because we found that it was half full of mud, despite being assured it had been emptied, Fucking hire equipment.
                      And on another note, who the fuck paints their 7x4 box trailer black and not put any lights on it? Had to do a breakdown tow which included above trailer, at night hanging off the back of another 12m long truck. I had nfi if the thing was still there until I got to the yard, I did stop and check a couple of times.

Comment

Originally posted by Tripper View Post
                        That deserves a medal, and potentially, a Darwin award if the car got rear ended

Comment

Originally posted by irsa76 View Post

And on another note, who the fuck paints their 7x4 box trailer black and not put any lights on it? Had to do a breakdown tow which included above trailer, at night hanging off the back of another 12m long truck. I had nfi if the thing was still there until I got to the yard, I did stop and check a couple of times.
                          one of the scariest moments I’ve ever had in a car was merging onto a dark freeway at 110 at night, and realising at the last millisecond that the car I was merging in tightly behind had a very long black trailer with no lights on….

Comment

I had to change lanes on the 6 lane interchange section of the freeway which is 80km/hr. Im trundling along at 70 and there’s plenty of gaps and I’m a full car length ahead of the car to my right, I chuck on my indicator for 5 seconds so they know what I’m up to, they neither slow back to let me in or change to another open lane, so I just moved over slowly which meant the trailer would have hit them.
                            All I heard was them blasting the horn whilst I gave zero fucks.

irsa76 the weight of the halfpipe is only 300kg.
                            Last edited by Greg Rust; 06-06-21, 10:13 AM.
                            2017 Ford Ranger XLT (Jeep Wrangler recovery vehicle)
                            2007 KTM 250 SX

Originally posted by Monza
                            I've never considered myself the type of guy to eat arse but I am currently reviewing that policy

Comment

Haha. Years ago I had to pick up a dining table from a friend, so the nopics states "I'll book a large enough trailer!". That weekend we go to collect it, with the Echo as usual only to discover she's booked a twin axle, braked, cage trailer - for a table that weighed maybe 30kg max. I lol'ed and decided to borrow a bigger car.

Comment

Originally posted by Tripper View Post
                                Originally posted by Mr Ree View Post
                                That deserves a medal, and potentially,
                                Damn straight, guy will win every arm wrestling contest as well. Looks like they are turning into the fired chicken place, I want to see him eat fast food with one hand and hold the fridge in the other #strongarm
                                "That which does not kill you, will make you very, very sick" - so says mizones mum

Comment

Working...
                                X