Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Banzai
    replied
    Don't forget that BMW and Mercedes have to pay for all of that sponsorship of horse racing and fashion shows from a relatively small customer base. Those marketing costs alone must add well over $10k to the cost of each car sold in Australia.

Leave a comment:

• Captiva Fan
    replied
    Originally posted by Insane22 View Post
    Have sat down with bmw and complained about australian pricing, they blame the government they said half of the rrp is taxes.
    What about the rest, then?
    USA has taxes too, if an M3 is AU$150k here and AU$59k in the USA, without "taxes" the M3 is $75k here compared to AU$59k in the USA with taxes.

Originally posted by Mr Purple View Post
    Well, that's actually exactly the pricing for the US model Elise, anyway. Which is strange, because they've swapped the steering wheel around to the wrong side for that price.
    No, they inverted the pictures they had, using MS Paint, for the US brochures.
    The yanks buying the cars haven't actually noticed yet, although warranty claims for an inability to wind-up the driver's side window are apparently rife.

Leave a comment:

• Captain_Slow
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr Purple View Post
    Well, Merc and everyone else seem to charge a shitload more for the RHD version of things.

I'm assuming this is because they can.
    Yeah - was just taking the piss before I guess they have to spread the cost of developing the RHD version across a small number of sales compared to the LHD version which explains part of it.

Other factors apart from taxes would also surely have to include our small market, and being a long way from pretty much anywhere expensive cars are made - economies of scale and all that.

Leave a comment:

• Captain_Slow
    replied
    Originally posted by rj_astra View Post
    Interesting re: cost of luxo cars...

VW (polo, golf etc) are relatively cheap here compared to the UK.
    Yep. So basically, the UK is a great place to live if you want an expensive car but bad if you want a cheap one.

What am I saying, the UK isn't a great place to live for any purpose...

Leave a comment:

• Insane22
    replied
    Redbook says $158,300 for base price prob without transfer & dealer delivery...
    http://www.redbook.com.au/new-cars/d...d=128178397ED7

Leave a comment:

• rj_astra
    replied
    so 50% isnt to far off... actually its about 35%
    $170,000 m3 = $15000 GST, so $155,000 - $57,000 = $93000 @ 33% LCT = $31,000, say 10% Duty on say $80,000? = $8000, + transfer duty @ 4% on $170,000 = $6800. so total tax = $60,800
    From BMW site:

Base price $135K (which I assume includes the GST)

LCT would be $24,424.50
    NSW Stamp Duty would be $7,270.00
    Dealer delivery a laughable $4000

Leave a comment:

• Bob Saget
    replied
    $170,000 m3 = $15000 GST, so $155,000 - $57,000 = $93000 @ 33% LCT = $31,000, say 10% Duty on say $80,000? = $8000, + transfer duty @ 4% on $170,000 = $6800. so total tax = $60,800
    Fuck when you actually spell it out like that... fucking goverments

Leave a comment:

• rj_astra
    replied
    Interesting re: cost of luxo cars...

VW (polo, golf etc) are relatively cheap here compared to the UK.

Leave a comment:

• Insane22
    replied
    Originally posted by Shonky View Post
    10% Duty
    10% GST (including on the duty)
    33% LCT above ($57k) (edit: now upped from 25 to 33%)

There must be a fair bit of BMW/Mercedes/Porsche tax involved too. RHD probably ups it a bit too compared to the US. BUT e.g. brand new UK M3 53k GBP (on the road) = 85k AUD. Someone's making some money off us. Ours may be optioned up a bit but we're talking basically half the price there.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Saget
    replied
    On the topic of over priced Merc's I saw a silver SLS pull out of the valley merc dealership on Monday, sounded horn, looked okay too.

Leave a comment:

• Mr Purple
    replied
    Well, Merc and everyone else seem to charge a shitload more for the RHD version of things.

I'm assuming this is because they can.

Leave a comment:

• Captain_Slow
    replied
    Yeah, you'd think the LHD conversion would cost more!

Leave a comment:

• Mr Purple
    replied
    Originally posted by Marco_VESS View Post
    Judging by some of the comments in this thread, I'm not so sure - how else can you conclude that a Lotus Elise without LCT would be $48k?
    Ah. Got you.

Well, that's actually exactly the pricing for the US model Elise, anyway. Which is strange, because they've swapped the steering wheel around to the wrong side for that price.

Leave a comment:

• Captain_Slow
    replied
    Judging by some of the comments in this thread, I'm not so sure - how else can you conclude that a Lotus Elise without LCT would be $48k?

Leave a comment:

• Mr Ed
    replied
    Well considering there are cars priced between $57,000 and $76,000, yes I would have thought thats obvious.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X