No announcement yet.

FT-86 to be named FR-S...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, stupidly priced over here in the uk. I remember when they first came out, they were the same price as a 2 year old M135i. No prices for guessing which way I went....think I mentioned this about 260 pages back....

I reckon I've seen about 3 per year on the roads here.
    "What in the gay caped fuck is that?" by Shonky

Comment

Yeah you'd have rocks in your head to buy one in the UK, especially when near new Elise, Exige, Caterham etc are same money or close.

Comment

Originally posted by MZ21 View Post
        How do you with very sticky tyre and high load cornering. Any oiling issues or is sump baffled?
        I've been tracking mine for 6 years, last 3 have been turbo which added a bigger sump (maybe another 1L capacity?) and haven't had an issue yet. Which by issue I mean, its still running the original motor after 50+ events and I've never monitored pressures hehe. I run 245/18 A050 mediums and am down to low 45's at Phillip Island with only 230rwkw so it seems to be working just fine. Have been properly amazed at the beating this car has taken.

Comment

Originally posted by blue_s15 View Post
          I've been tracking mine for 6 years, last 3 have been turbo which added a bigger sump (maybe another 1L capacity?) and haven't had an issue yet. Which by issue I mean, its still running the original motor after 50+ events and I've never monitored pressures hehe. I run 245/18 A050 mediums and am down to low 45's at Phillip Island with only 230rwkw so it seems to be working just fine. Have been properly amazed at the beating this car has taken.
          That is rediculous value, well done.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Comment

Fark me.... (LS3 build time lapse)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cb5z78SZoe8

Sounds epic :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFDxnd-nYrw

Comment

Wonder if we will see any RHD conversion kits. This are starting to get properly cheap now, and a conversion is very attractive.

Comment

There's a bloke called Andrew Todd running a company called AGT Engineering that specializes in Subaru CANBUS translation. His bread and butter is putting modern Subaru engines into old VWs but he's developed a CANBUS translator to suit LS engines into an 86. He got his converted 86 engineered and registered in NSW in the last week or so. The video he put up most recently is in a private Facebook group but his translator allows use of the subaru throttle pedal, all gauges function correctly, ABS/VSC/traction control all function, cruise control functions, push button start functions and the electric power steering functions which a few people have had trouble with. Wiring is simple, new AGT board replaces subaru ECU, then you take the GM wiring harness and follow his diagram to get it hooked up to a blank Subaru plug and plug the GM wiring harness where the subaru engine harness would normally plug into.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...19524&sfnsn=mo

That's an older post from about 6 months ago but shows pretty much everything functioning, and how simple the wiring job is.

Comment

Originally posted by peal View Post
                  Wonder if we will see any RHD conversion kits. This are starting to get properly cheap now, and a conversion is very attractive.
                  I hope so, an LS3 86 would be the perfect sports car I reckon... I like them, but subaru engine aids means I really don't want to buy one... I probably will at some point, but reluctantly.

1998 MX5 - Ohlins DFV coilovers, Roll bar,15 x7.5 Konig Litespeeds, Mania Intake
                  2014 Colorado LT - Oversized Whitegoods. Kid/bike/track hack/horse hauler.

Comment

Here's the thing, the subaru/toyota FA20 is actually a very good engine and can and does make good power.
                    I can assure you that you would be terrified at the cost of sticking an LS3(especially) into an 86 and the level of mods required. Just basic shit like ground clearance and HVAC is an issue with an engine swap. Noone wants to tell the real story with these swaps.
                    Doing a set of rods and pistons and studs in an FA20 plus a turbo kit will be a fraction of the cost and deliver the same performance. A stock FA20 with turbo and E85 makes 210kw atw and makes for a great daily and impressive track car and they are very reliable and repeatable, even the transmissions are quite robust.
                    David Fraser - Automotive Historian!

Originally posted by bigmuz
                    You can't polish a turd but you can put 600hp in it and laugh your fucking arse off coming past someone sideways at Powercruise.

Comment

Originally posted by JZK25 View Post
                      Here's the thing, the subaru/toyota FA20 is actually a very good engine and can and does make good power.
                      I can assure you that you would be terrified at the cost of sticking an LS3(especially) into an 86 and the level of mods required. Just basic shit like ground clearance and HVAC is an issue with an engine swap. Noone wants to tell the real story with these swaps.
                      Doing a set of rods and pistons and studs in an FA20 plus a turbo kit will be a fraction of the cost and deliver the same performance. A stock FA20 with turbo and E85 makes 210kw atw and makes for a great daily and impressive track car and they are very reliable and repeatable, even the transmissions are quite robust.
                      What's the hotness in turbo kits for these things? In terms of $$ and not exploding.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
                      Tow car/camping bus: 2011 D40 Navara ST

Baby mobile: 2016 Nissan Qashqai

75 Mini Clubman club racer - DCOE powah

Comment

Comment

I know he did, pretty sure he stopped, hence the question.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
                          Tow car/camping bus: 2011 D40 Navara ST

Baby mobile: 2016 Nissan Qashqai

75 Mini Clubman club racer - DCOE powah

Comment

Still make them. $8k plus fit and tune.
                            David Fraser - Automotive Historian!

Originally posted by bigmuz
                            You can't polish a turd but you can put 600hp in it and laugh your fucking arse off coming past someone sideways at Powercruise.

Comment

Don't get me wrong, mine has been boosted on stock engine with an SME kit and GT2860RS for about 3 years at 205rwkw on 7psi, and more recently upped to ~230 at 10psi. It's a farken blast but taking the engine from my SSV and sticking it in a ~1200kg chassis that handles? I want!

But as David said, the cost of parts let alone labour is insanely high. It's a cool idea I guess and props to the kents doing it.

Comment

FT-86 to be named FR-S...

Double
                                "Beware the lollipop of mediocrity: lick it once and you'll suck forever" Brian Wilson

Comment

Working...
                                X