FT-86 to be named FR-S...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=JZK25;843117857]
    "Beware the lollipop of mediocrity: lick it once and you'll suck forever" Brian Wilson

Comment

3" exhaust is a good idea over 200rwkw, std setup connects to any 2.5" overpipe though. Some form of fuel surge protection and some 1000cc port injectors aren't a bad idea but you can get up there on std stuff. Tuned by someone who isn't a retard is paramount. A basic HD clutch like a Mantic is usually required too.
      David Fraser - Automotive Historian!

Originally posted by bigmuz
      You can't polish a turd but you can put 600hp in it and laugh your fucking arse off coming past someone sideways at Powercruise.

Comment

"Beware the lollipop of mediocrity: lick it once and you'll suck forever" Brian Wilson

Comment

Didn't bother upgrading my full 2.5" system from NA, seems fine. ID850s still have headroom and I'm still running OEM pump with the versus flap in the bucket to solve starvation below 1/4 tank at PI (was fucked at even over 3/4 before with boost/E85/semis).

Clutch I have some OEM Impreza thing (can't recall specifics) but it's been in since turbo 3 years ago. Only destroyed the throwout bearing last year, but known shitness apparently.

Oil cooler and radiator recommended if tracking.

Comment

Originally posted by JZK25 View Post
            3" exhaust is a good idea over 200rwkw, std setup connects to any 2.5" overpipe though. Some form of fuel surge protection and some 1000cc port injectors aren't a bad idea but you can get up there on std stuff. Tuned by someone who isn't a retard is paramount. A basic HD clutch like a Mantic is usually required too.
            Any idea on the typical power capabilities of the stock clutch?

I drove a few turbo ones, and a supercharged one as I wanted a pre-boosted car - ended up buying the supercharged one (sprintex screw type) only because it was the most sorted car for what I wanted (brakes/suspension etc. all done properly for track). The reality is, I found the turbo cars were better everywhere - more power, more tuning options, easier to upgrade, way less fucking-around with pulleys, and less maintenance - if I was spending $8k+ to boost mine I wouldn't go a supercharger.
            Obligatory skid pic

Comment

It's now looking like the next one, due around mid next year, isn't going to get a turbo after all:
              https://www.caradvice.com.au/845146/...ru-brz-engine/

That article is suggesting we'll see a 2.4 litre NA FA24 engine, with 162kW and 240Nm. That might usefully be a bit more torque than the current model lower down, but it's only a 10% increase in outputs roughly.

Despite earlier talk of moving to a new platform, the article is talking about it having almost exactly the same dimensions - so this really seems to be a re-skin and an engine update.

Maybe it's a bit too early to be disappointed but...I'd been thinking that if there was a turbo version coming, I might update mine in a couple of years. If it's basically the same car again, it's hard to see why I would.

(Edit: my rough maths were off - compared to mine it's a 17% increase in torque and a 10% increase in power. That sounds like it might mean a fatter low down torque curve but less top end?)
              Last edited by Captain_Slow; 01-05-20, 11:56 AM.

Comment

Makes economical sense to update the engine and body/interior if the chassis is still relevant.

Comment

It makes sense for the new model to be just be evolution rather than revolution that a much bigger power turbo model would be.

I wonder if, with GR models becoming more prominent at Toyota since the original 86 introduction, it might open the door for a GR model with a turbo, and let Subaru also do a corresponding STI hero model too? If the motor is going to be the new STI Rex motor then a detuned ~225kW version for an 86/BRZ model would not seem that hard and would surely gain customers if price reasonable (like around $60K).

Comment

Yeah. I think it makes sense for there to be a relatively cheap NA model (ie that $32-45k range that the current car sits in), and do a turbo model at a higher price point. There's a lot of space price and performance wise between the 86 and the Supra, so not much chance of stealing your own sales.

Comment

I read that story a couple of days ago and have to say my reaction was 'they're putting a truck engine in it', kind of like the KA24 in the american S chassis. Hopefully there's some headroom that can be taken advantage of with minimal breathing mods but increasing capacity by 20% and increasing power by less than 10% kinda screams 'not a sports car engine'. My concern is that this indicates that this is part of trying to make it more of an all rounder rather than a genuine sports/driving car and they'll end up with a celica.

Comment

Originally posted by IMOA View Post
                        I read that story a couple of days ago and have to say my reaction was 'they're putting a truck engine in it', kind of like the KA24 in the american S chassis. Hopefully there's some headroom that can be taken advantage of with minimal breathing mods but increasing capacity by 20% and increasing power by less than 10% kinda screams 'not a sports car engine'. My concern is that this indicates that this is part of trying to make it more of an all rounder rather than a genuine sports/driving car and they'll end up with a celica.
                        yup is clearly a US market driven thing, so they feel better with an auto .

Capt Slow- just give yours to Coyote tuning in QLD and get it turboed or the harrop supercharger kit

1998 MX5 - Ohlins DFV coilovers, Roll bar,15 x7.5 Konig Litespeeds, Mania Intake
                        2014 Colorado LT - Oversized Whitegoods. Kid/bike/track hack/horse hauler.

Comment

The current car has a 7400rpm redline so I'm sort of assuming the FA24 will be lower - given its greater capacity and what looks like a torque bias.

Comment

Originally posted by rowdytoot View Post
                            yup is clearly a US market driven thing, so they feel better with an auto
                            The article does say the automatic will be more of a focus this time around. I think the 86 is one of the few cars these days where the manual still makes up a decent proportion of sales - the MX-5 is the other one AFAIK. Porsche yesterday announced no manual 911 Carrera for us anymore, so that's another manual car gone...

Comment

Originally posted by IMOA View Post
                              Yes.. doesn't seem like much of a huge improvement.. Nothing concrete, but would expect a 2.4L to be closer to 180kw/250nm, however maybe that is the idea - give it room for tuning and/or a future update. If anything, just makes the original 2L more of a classic.

Guessing that extra torque might make it a bit of a different driving experience/feel a lot more powerful
                              Last edited by fury; 01-05-20, 06:52 PM.
                              RIP Simon - Ghost ride that whip in the clouds forever..

Comment

I think the so called classic 2L will leave current owners butt hurt, 2.4 over 2.0L is a no brainer. Ive had stock K20, K24 and built k20/24 in the same chassis and the bigger 2.4 L has so much more drive out of the corners.

The 86 is screaming for this motor, hopefully there is still another easy 15-20 kw's thru tuning and bolt ons
                                Last edited by Stevil; 02-05-20, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X