• Time
  • Show
Clear All

dumb fuck idea alert
    i've done some google fu and it looks like the ez36 bolts into one of these
    i.e. bolts up to stock gearbox, albeit starter on incorrect side
    engine mounts almost identical
    so physically it doesn't look too hard
    i assume the electronics side of things has been solved given the number of swaps around.
    aircon.. idk if there is some ecu fuckery there as well
    the idea of a pocket GT3 sounding thing for not a great deal of money sounds appealing.
    see here at 18min mark for inspiration - in a gc8 but sounds great
    https://youtu.be/5IXlKyrXrTs?t=1055
    Originally posted by Walt Kowalski
    Memes are only detectable by NSA.

Comment

not a dumb idea at all, though you will get more bang for buck with a turbo kit on the stock engine. I did a bit of research into the 36 fitment when i had mine
      Originally posted by Jim
      I feel that rules are important as without rules there is no cheating and cheating is a vital part of drag racing.

Originally posted by elfturbomax
      What has happened to PF? It seems to be diesel love now days. Maybe the name should be changed to Particulate Forums.

Comment

Originally posted by perthdrivers.txt View Post
        not a dumb idea at all, though you will get more bang for buck with a turbo kit on the stock engine.
        i expect basically every workshop will say the same but i kind of like the mechanical simplicity of n/a - less piping etc
        also not chasing big power for this kind of thing either so standardish ez36 should be just fine, will be enough to stay in front of P platers but not enough to get in much trouble, and sounding good (i've not heard a truly good sounding 86 yet- some are ok)

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	DB01E8F4-94A4-4753-8483-F72741F0DB77.jpeg
Views:	335
Size:	154.1 KB
ID:	7172639
          Originally posted by Jim
          I feel that rules are important as without rules there is no cheating and cheating is a vital part of drag racing.

Originally posted by elfturbomax
          What has happened to PF? It seems to be diesel love now days. Maybe the name should be changed to Particulate Forums.

Comment

An EZ30/36 doesn't really sound like a porsche and honestly a turbo FA20 would anihilate one in every department and cost less.
            The engine doesn't bolt up to the FA20 gearbox, only a couple of bolts and the dowels do.
            David Fraser - Automotive Historian!

Originally posted by bigmuz
            You can't polish a turd but you can put 600hp in it and laugh your fucking arse off coming past someone sideways at Powercruise.

Comment

Could throw money at it and make noises?

Skip to 18:50
              Last edited by nopistons; 31-08-20, 07:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JZK25 View Post
                The engine doesn't bolt up to the FA20 gearbox, only a couple of bolts and the dowels do.
                ah bugger that is good to know. the one above sounds pretty nice though.
                power doesn't bother me at all as long as it is more than stock, i know a turbo would be a thousand times more cost effective. was more about making it a bit more special to drive/sound.
                i've got the 32 GTR for more fasts if i need it.
                as below, was thinking about doing a Gc8 originally but thought it would be fun in a rwd chassis.
                Last edited by clutch-monkey; 31-08-20, 07:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nopistons View Post

Could throw money at it and make noises?

Skip to 18:50
                  yup thats the vid that got me thinking.
                  actually have a Gc8 which was the first car we were thinking of doing it to, but thought the brz could be a cool rwd newer chassis to have it in.
                  if the gc8 is far easier to swap we might stick to that.

Comment

GC8 is pretty tight fit too but I squeezed one in with a GT4094. BRZ would be more roomy.

EZ36 with would probs be a better bet as the extra cubes does help when NA. I would do it for you if you are that keen. You can run it on a Haltech E 2500 and it will have all the CAN comms to the car.
                    I did a Forester with NA EZ36 and they got 200kw atw out of it on E85 wringing it's neck.

You can't polish a turd but you can put 600hp in it and laugh your fucking arse off coming past someone sideways at Powercruise.

Comment

K24A with a spinny boi? Apparently it can _just_ clear the bonnet if you clear a rib out.
                      "And I know that arseholes grow on trees but I'm here to trim the leaves" Peeping Tom, Mike Patton

Comment

Or just add a spinny boi to the FA20 and not spend 30k.

Comment

Originally posted by JZK25 View Post
                          GC8 is pretty tight fit too but I squeezed one in with a GT4094. BRZ would be more roomy.

EZ36 with would probs be a better bet as the extra cubes does help when NA. I would do it for you if you are that keen. You can run it on a Haltech E 2500 and it will have all the CAN comms to the car.
                          I did a Forester with NA EZ36 and they got 200kw atw out of it on E85 wringing it's neck.
                          can see why turbo's are the popular route.. even the harrop supercharger kit is 10k to buy.

Comment

FA loves it if you're happy to run e85. I probably wouldn't bother on petrol.

Comment

Yes, they waken right up even with a canned tune on e85
                              "Beware the lollipop of mediocrity: lick it once and you'll suck forever" Brian Wilson

Comment

is there any canberra people getting e85 easily? i havent looked for a while but it doesnt seem as accessible as all the other states.

Comment

Working...
                                X