No announcement yet.

FT-86 to be named FR-S...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I belive the strategic plan is to leave it with 147kW and 5Nm of torque, never update it beyond minor cosmetic changes and then dump it in circa 2030 because 'no-one buys coupes anyway'.

It's the Toyota/Subaru way.

Comment

They'll do exactly what porsche did with the boxster/cayman/911. Slowly add power without ruining the basic recipe. If it ain't broke don't fix it.
      Evo VIII MR

Comment

The 86 has been around for what, 7 years now? The engine should have been worked on long before now
        Originally posted by Jim
        I feel that rules are important as without rules there is no cheating and cheating is a vital part of drag racing.

Originally posted by elfturbomax
        What has happened to PF? It seems to be diesel love now days. Maybe the name should be changed to Particulate Forums.

Comment

Nine years, with only the mildest of updates.

Comment

released in 2012, small bump in power and facelift in 2017, Another facelift and maybe an increase in displacement in 2021/2. So every 5 years it'll get a slight refresh and a small bump in power similar to what porsche do. If they dont ruin the recipe and keep it affordable, they will continue to sell. I'm just glad that they exist and have flooded the 2nd hand market with cheap, compotent track toys.
            Evo VIII MR

Comment

Absolutely agree, they are a good thing overall and a fantastic track car base, just really need an engine with a bit more punch
              Originally posted by Jim
              I feel that rules are important as without rules there is no cheating and cheating is a vital part of drag racing.

What has happened to PF? It seems to be diesel love now days. Maybe the name should be changed to Particulate Forums.

Comment

~150kW from 2 litres is pretty good already. Unless they are willing to throw a turbo on it there isn't much more to be done.

Comment

I'd like to see a high revving 2.4 In the next model followed by a flat 6 in the last one after that. As long as they can keep the weight and price down I reckon they'd both be a hit.
                  Evo VIII MR

Comment

Originally posted by DaveBxGT View Post
                    ~150kW from 2 litres is pretty good already. Unless they are willing to throw a turbo on it there isn't much more to be done.
                    Bear in mind Toyota's own 2ZZ was making that almost 20 years ago (albeit with a bit less peak torque) and though no doubt considerably more expensive, the Honda F20C

The problem is emissions/economy standards now are making high hp/L n/a engines compromised, hence the widespread move to small capacity forced induction.
                    Last edited by perthdrivers.txt; 08-10-20, 05:02 PM.
                    Originally posted by Jim

Comment

You summed it up exactly, the days of high HP NA are over due to emissions. Everyone is going turbo.

Comment

And turbo is awesome.. something like a 1.8L turbo would be good in this thing..keeping it emissions friendly yet allowing people to tune it and fuck emissions.

Unfortunately Subaru does not have much in it's stable to allow this..

Although this model I thought they were doing away with the Subaru partnership... I guess usual Internet b.s.
                        RIP Simon - Ghost ride that whip in the clouds forever..

Comment

I think it has been said before, if they turbo it or even used a detuned WRX engine, Subaru will lose customers that would have normally purchased WRX. Even worse , they will share those customers with Toyota.
                          "It takes beer to make thirst worth while."

Comment

Originally posted by fury View Post
                            And turbo is awesome.. something like a 1.8L turbo would be good in this thing..keeping it emissions friendly yet allowing people to tune it and fuck emissions.

Unfortunately Subaru does not have much in it's stable to allow this..

Although this model I thought they were doing away with the Subaru partnership... I guess usual Internet b.s.
                            not gonna lie, the 1.6 turbo in my Pug is damn impressive in power delivery and simultaneously fuel economy... i’m now not at all surprised this is the way things are going.
                            Originally posted by Jim

Comment

Anyone managed to get a H6 3.0 engine into an 86?

Comment

Originally posted by perthdrivers.txt View Post

Bear in mind Toyota's own 2ZZ was making that almost 20 years ago (albeit with a bit less peak torque) and though no doubt considerably more expensive, the Honda F20C

The problem is emissions/economy standards now are making high hp/L n/a engines compromised, hence the widespread move to small capacity forced induction.
                                Problem with 2ZZ and the like is you get not benefit out of the sky high power when driving 'normally' on the road. I've owned a B16A civic daily, own a 2ZZ and test driven a 2ZZ in various corollas/celicas. Up until the high lift cams kick in, you may as well be driving the grandma spec donk. So life begins at 6000 rpm. Which is fantastic on track, but useless on the road.

Turbo direct injected 4cyl have no soul and are appliances, but they work far better in a daily.

Comment

Working...
                                X