• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clutch-monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by 35R View Post
    It's pretty simple.

As a road car the R35 is very sedate, and relatively boring; you just can't use what the car has to offer, and what it's all about.
    +1
    i only drove one on the street, and it just wasn't possible to open it up at all, or even touch on it's abilities.
    had much more fun driving an original mini around at 110% on a really tight mountain road.
    but imo the same criticism can be directed at any supercar (or even high end sportscar).

in the end i'm much happier with my choice of car, just because i CAN get more out of it more frequently, and it is much more raw. but that's simply a personal choice.

Leave a comment:

• 35R
    replied
    Originally posted by 333pg333 View Post
    I'd be betting that the reason that there are many crashed ones are that:

1)You hear/read/see them more due to their notoriety.
    2)There are a lot more rich guys out there than good drivers.
    3)They are easier to drive fast but when you go faster you have less time to react and therefore have bigger accidents.

Can't see why people are getting their panties in a bunch over this. 10 pages in must mean something. They're an astounding car whether you like them or not. I'd love a go and salute them for building such a car. Given a choice I'd take the new GT3 4.0 though.

> You hear/read/see them more due to their notoriety.

That's all it is IMO. There is no evidence whatsoever people crash these more than any other car. Just a bunch of hyped up peeps posting essentially the same pics all over the interweb of the same small number of banged up dattos.

Leave a comment:

• 35R
    replied
    Originally posted by AJC13B View Post
    I don't remember saying that it wasn't an engaging drive because it was quiet. I dont recall giving a reason for my opinion that it was un-engaging actually!

Would an exhaust fix it? No.

In my opinion, the R35 is the Lara Bingle of the car world. You'd thrash the crap out of it, and your mates would want a drive too, but would you take it home to keep? Probably not. Id put the Veyron in the same category. Essentially, they have technology muscle (Figuratively speaking); point and shoot quick, damn quick!

Now something like the Zonda, Mac F1, Fez F40, Caterham R500, Ariel Atom, 599 GTB, Porsche GT2/GT3. Hell even my old RX7 + others cars I have driven. Cars with character, cars you need to wrestle a little bit. Cars that engage all your senses.

Now that I think about it....Whats the difference between the R35 and cars that were engaging for me? The engaging cars I knew I was going fast in them.

Is the (rumoured?) higher crash rates of R35 because they are a hard car to drive, or because people are overestimating their ability in a car thats 'easy to drive'? I would wager its the later more than the former.

You agree with people who (have driven one) say thats its a boring daily, yet shit can them if they havent driven one on a track to compare, and then say you wouldnt buy one if you are only after a flash road car?? Mood swings much! I tend to agree though. If I wanted a car to go damn fast around a track in, an R35 would be at the top of the list.
    It's pretty simple.

As a road car the R35 is very sedate, and relatively boring; you just can't use what the car has to offer, and what it's all about.

All i am saying is that people who write off the car on the basis of farting around on the street make me laugh. It's like having Lara Bingle as a GF and you dump her because she doesn't do the dishes just right.

Leave a comment:

• 333pg333
    replied
    I'd be betting that the reason that there are many crashed ones are that:

1)You hear/read/see them more due to their notoriety.
    2)There are a lot more rich guys out there than good drivers.
    3)They are easier to drive fast but when you go faster you have less time to react and therefore have bigger accidents.

Can't see why people are getting their panties in a bunch over this. 10 pages in must mean something. They're an astounding car whether you like them or not. I'd love a go and salute them for building such a car. Given a choice I'd take the new GT3 4.0 though.

Leave a comment:

• AJC13B
    replied
    Originally posted by vet 180 View Post
    Once again another person that says its not engaging to drive, but the reasoning is because its too quiet

I wonder if a simple exhaust could disban the rumors.....

Also the amount of crashed r35's lead me to believe they don't drive themselves as much as people say...
    I don't remember saying that it wasn't an engaging drive because it was quiet. I dont recall giving a reason for my opinion that it was un-engaging actually!

Would an exhaust fix it? No.

In my opinion, the R35 is the Lara Bingle of the car world. You'd thrash the crap out of it, and your mates would want a drive too, but would you take it home to keep? Probably not. Id put the Veyron in the same category. Essentially, they have technology muscle (Figuratively speaking); point and shoot quick, damn quick!

Now something like the Zonda, Mac F1, Fez F40, Caterham R500, Ariel Atom, 599 GTB, Porsche GT2/GT3. Hell even my old RX7 + others cars I have driven. Cars with character, cars you need to wrestle a little bit. Cars that engage all your senses.

Now that I think about it....Whats the difference between the R35 and cars that were engaging for me? The engaging cars I knew I was going fast in them.

Is the (rumoured?) higher crash rates of R35 because they are a hard car to drive, or because people are overestimating their ability in a car thats 'easy to drive'? I would wager its the later more than the former.

Originally posted by 35R View Post
    I would agree the R35 is realtively 'boring' on the street. Totally agree. The fact is a $40k manual V8 commodore is a more entertaining drive for everyday duties... the sounds, the box, you can use more of what the car/engine has to offer... (not to mention practicalities of a sedan). God knows i've had a lot of v8's, my family car is a VE (V8) right now. I Love them.

However, if you judge the R35 by simply driving on the street, that's almost laughable. All i can say is you haven't begun to understand what this car is about. Whack on a set of decent track tyres, and throw yourself into T1 at EC or the kink at WP going as fast as your bum tells you is possible, that just might give you an idea. It's a road going track car. A car that can keep pace with RACE GT3 times (have you actually seen what these porsche race cars look like... they are full on race cars) then remind yourselve these are 1700kg luxury road cars.

The R35 are simply amazing things for the money. But, if i wanted a flash car for mostly road duties, i wouldn't buy one.
    You agree with people who (have driven one) say thats its a boring daily, yet shit can them if they havent driven one on a track to compare, and then say you wouldnt buy one if you are only after a flash road car?? Mood swings much! I tend to agree though. If I wanted a car to go damn fast around a track in, an R35 would be at the top of the list.

Leave a comment:

• vet 180
    replied
    Originally posted by bv View Post
    dont be a fuckwit. The man is relaying his personal experience - just because it's different from yours doesn't make it any less valid. edit: even less so seeing as later on you say you've never been in one????

You trying to dismiss it out of hand because it doesn't fit your little world view is just ignorant, but please use all the confirmation bias and/or ad hominem attacks you can to continue the discussion.
    I am not being a fukwit, the amount of people that have said to me they are boring because the are too quiet is stupidly high

i repeat his words It was effortlessly fast no doubt, but did it all so quietly

I am not disagreeing with his personal experience, nor did I say its different from my own. Tbh it would most likely be the same. I think good on him for being honest about it.

I am just wanting to know the reason behind some comments. That is not ignorance. Also I said from the word go I have not driven one and therefore have no opinion or bias. Its not like I am saying the quiet gtr is the better alternative. If fact I said the opposite which is that a nice sounding car is more engaging to drive.

Leave a comment:

• Billzilla
    replied
    Originally posted by TJ View Post
    I am not entirely sure people want a car that is an absolute pig to drive for 98% of the time on the street?

You will never reach the limits of any supercar on a normal road situation.
    I'm pretty sure that's why engineers all over the world work hard to make cars better - so they are easier to drive rather than harder.
    Looks like they've done a good job with the GTR then.

Leave a comment:

• Babalouie
    replied
    I got both a Skyline and a 911 in the garage, and it's probably the Datto that is faster overall. The Porka does have that certain something, though.

Leave a comment:

• Nafe
    replied
    Depends on how drunk you are...

Leave a comment:

• TJ
    replied
    How many people daily their superkart on the street?

Leave a comment:

• Nafe
    replied
    Superkart at EC = low 1:28 > R35, Porka GT3Cup etc etc
    Fasts ftw

Leave a comment:

• CussCuss
    replied
    the magic 2% is retarded, is code for 'i like the badge more than the fasts'. Same as when they talk about alfa's 'soul'.

Fasts ftw.

Leave a comment:

• TonyJZX
    replied
    people are willing to spend lots of money on absolute pigs of cars... why are AC Cobras and GT40s so popular?

however on a day like in sydney where its 11c and pouring down and the road is like ice theres no equal to the R35

the R35 is a 98% car too... it just doesnt have that intangible 2%

good 98% of the time, bad 2%

ACs and GT40s are bad 98% but magic that 2%

Leave a comment:

• TJ
    replied
    I am not entirely sure people want a car that is an absolute pig to drive for 98% of the time on the street?

You will never reach the limits of any supercar on a normal road situation.

Leave a comment:

• TonyJZX
    replied
    they seem to be always at wakefield, overtaking people like as if they're nothing

whats that about uleh

Leave a comment:

Working...
X