Ez30 vs ej25 stock reliability?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ez30 vs ej25 stock reliability?

So my poor old mums car is totally shagged. Us kids are all going to chip in and buy her a later model car. Narrowed it down to an 08 era outback. Now, there are fuckloads is six cylinders for sale, not as many fours, and the sixes seem to be a tad cheaper. I have never worked on a six, heaps of fours though. I have it in the back of my head that the sixes were trouble, but can't remember what. It will be used for lots of highway work.

Anyone in the know on these things? Should i stay away?

Will she fill it with 98? if not, dont buy.
    Originally posted by Bosshoggett
    If your planing to drive this on the road and enjoy it, id suggest a second opinion, someone with a history in Australian Rally or Fink River . If your just playing dyno comps. Then ok

Comment

Yep, she will fill it with whatever I tell her to. What's the drama with them?

Comment

No dramas with them at all. You get the odd chain problem after 150k but that's usually linked to bad service history.

As Cracka said, you must use 98 octane or broken ringlands can occur.

Better engine, much better auto, larger brakes, overall a lot smoother car to drive than the 4 cyl.

I think the reason there is so many 6 cylinders for sale is they sold so many of them. Gen 3 Outback were mostly 4 cylinder but by the time Gen 4 came out people realised the 6 was a good thing so they sold in greater numbers.
        David Fraser - Automotive Historian!

Originally posted by bigmuz
        You can't polish a turd but you can put 600hp in it and laugh your fucking arse off coming past someone sideways at Powercruise.

Comment

Gen4 is a much better car though as well. All of the good things gen3 brought which was a 10 year step ahead of the impreza, with 5 years of refinement.
          If your planing to drive this on the road and enjoy it, id suggest a second opinion, someone with a history in Australian Rally or Fink River . If your just playing dyno comps. Then ok

Comment

EZ30 in Gen 3 vs EJ25 in Gen 3 is a considerable difference in refinement. It's a much smoother and quieter engine, that's what they built it for.

You can't polish a turd but you can put 600hp in it and laugh your fucking arse off coming past someone sideways at Powercruise.

Comment

We use to see a few chain problems, a shit load of leaking timing cover sandwitch plates and a hand full of coolant/oil weeping from head gaskets like the ej25's. I would still own one, great cars to drive.
              97 Express van 4G63 compound Turbo Tdo5/HX40 @ 34.7234psi.

Gone--
              93 GSR 1.8L 406whp 11.6@126mph

Comment

Sweet, will get a six then. Find a low k one, check for leaks and it should be good.

Comment

The oil leaking from rear timing plate is really only the Gen 3 engine. Basically a factory fit on them, Gen 4 is not known to leak. A bit of weep stain from the headgaskets is nothing to worry about.

Comment

Buy my liberty for her. Hth

Comment

Gen 4 is BP/ BL right Al? Your right about not being as common but I've still done a hand full of front cover reseals and a couple of tribecca's too. Its possibly got something to do with the colder climates too as we had a lot of problems Aus never got.
                      97 Express van 4G63 compound Turbo Tdo5/HX40 @ 34.7234psi.

Gone--
                      93 GSR 1.8L 406whp 11.6@126mph

Comment

Thread dredge.

I've got to get a daily. I really liked our gen 4 ez30 outback but as we have a foz now, it's time to get my liberty wagon on.

So, despite these things being stupid money like everything else worth a damn, I'm looking at the 3.0 or some gt models with one having an ej255 swapped in.

As it's going to be kept mostly stock, thoughts? I like the smoothness of the 6 but the EJ does seem to have more punch around town. Would likely be Auto too (though may go manual for the right one).

Comment

I'd go the 6 cyl still. Nicer to drive, they both need 98 anyways, EJ has timing belt instead of a chain, crappy compression, and can have head gasket issues. If you ever need to tow anything the EZ shits on the EJ from a great height too. Can get 6 speed manual 6 cylinders too instead of the 5 speed
                          Originally posted by ahabthearab
                          If you're in Amsterdam why the fuck are you even conscious and not in a drug fueled haze bent over with some crackhore hooker jamming a giant black didldo up your arse?

Comment

I had the 6cyl in a 2006 Liberty H6 spec B wagon. Had it retuned which transformed the car, eliminated the flat spot, picked up a fair bit of 0-100 etc. Fuel economy improved also.
                            Spun a big end bearing around 50-100,000km later, as they love to do.
                            Suspect there was an oiling issue, or I just used shit Nulon oil that one time.
                            While it was running it was a great car.

Comment

Brother had EZ30 07 Liberty, blew head gasket at 200k kms, which pretty much made it an economical write off. Based on my limited research the 6 has the same faulty graphite head gaskets and easy bake cylinder heads as the 4, just with 2 cylinders tacked on.

Comment

Working...
                              X