Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bpm
    replied
    Steel gaskets on the gen4 3.0 as far as I know. Since I started this thread I bought ol mum one, she did 180km in it with nothing but a set of plugs and oil changes. I bought one for myself soon after and have thrashed it every day with minimal maintenance and itโ€™s still going strong, can get 2 stripped LSs in the boot too ๐Ÿ‘

Leave a comment:

• SRV
    replied
    Brother had EZ30 07 Liberty, blew head gasket at 200k kms, which pretty much made it an economical write off. Based on my limited research the 6 has the same faulty graphite head gaskets and easy bake cylinder heads as the 4, just with 2 cylinders tacked on.

Leave a comment:

• Ribfeast
    replied
    I had the 6cyl in a 2006 Liberty H6 spec B wagon. Had it retuned which transformed the car, eliminated the flat spot, picked up a fair bit of 0-100 etc. Fuel economy improved also.
    Spun a big end bearing around 50-100,000km later, as they love to do.
    Suspect there was an oiling issue, or I just used shit Nulon oil that one time.
    While it was running it was a great car.

Leave a comment:

• Sathanas
    replied
    I'd go the 6 cyl still. Nicer to drive, they both need 98 anyways, EJ has timing belt instead of a chain, crappy compression, and can have head gasket issues. If you ever need to tow anything the EZ shits on the EJ from a great height too. Can get 6 speed manual 6 cylinders too instead of the 5 speed

Leave a comment:

• darwinschops
    replied
    Thread dredge.

I've got to get a daily. I really liked our gen 4 ez30 outback but as we have a foz now, it's time to get my liberty wagon on.

So, despite these things being stupid money like everything else worth a damn, I'm looking at the 3.0 or some gt models with one having an ej255 swapped in.

As it's going to be kept mostly stock, thoughts? I like the smoothness of the 6 but the EJ does seem to have more punch around town. Would likely be Auto too (though may go manual for the right one).

Leave a comment:

• caged
    replied
    Gen 4 is BP/ BL right Al? Your right about not being as common but I've still done a hand full of front cover reseals and a couple of tribecca's too. Its possibly got something to do with the colder climates too as we had a lot of problems Aus never got.

Leave a comment:

• cracka
    replied
    Buy my liberty for her. Hth

Leave a comment:

• JZK25
    replied
    The oil leaking from rear timing plate is really only the Gen 3 engine. Basically a factory fit on them, Gen 4 is not known to leak. A bit of weep stain from the headgaskets is nothing to worry about.

Leave a comment:

• bpm
    replied
    Sweet, will get a six then. Find a low k one, check for leaks and it should be good.

Leave a comment:

• caged
    replied
    We use to see a few chain problems, a shit load of leaking timing cover sandwitch plates and a hand full of coolant/oil weeping from head gaskets like the ej25's. I would still own one, great cars to drive.

Leave a comment:

• JZK25
    replied
    EZ30 in Gen 3 vs EJ25 in Gen 3 is a considerable difference in refinement. It's a much smoother and quieter engine, that's what they built it for.

Leave a comment:

• cracka
    replied
    Gen4 is a much better car though as well. All of the good things gen3 brought which was a 10 year step ahead of the impreza, with 5 years of refinement.

Leave a comment:

• JZK25
    replied
    No dramas with them at all. You get the odd chain problem after 150k but that's usually linked to bad service history.

As Cracka said, you must use 98 octane or broken ringlands can occur.

Better engine, much better auto, larger brakes, overall a lot smoother car to drive than the 4 cyl.

I think the reason there is so many 6 cylinders for sale is they sold so many of them. Gen 3 Outback were mostly 4 cylinder but by the time Gen 4 came out people realised the 6 was a good thing so they sold in greater numbers.

Leave a comment:

• bpm
    replied
    Yep, she will fill it with whatever I tell her to. What's the drama with them?

Leave a comment:

• cracka
    replied
    Will she fill it with 98? if not, dont buy.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X