Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dash Cam Recommendations?

So after enough close calls with many SS driving bogans and awesome Asian drivers I feel it's time to get a good dash cam to record their retarded behaviour. Nothing overly flashy, but something with a time / date and possibly GPS would be good.

What's the goodness?

Cheers

Comes down to how much you want to spend as much as anything else... tons on ebay from $30 to several hundred

do you want a single cam or front & rear facing? HD/non-HD? etc, etc

Originally posted by Jim
    I feel that rules are important as without rules there is no cheating and cheating is a vital part of drag racing.
    Originally posted by elfturbomax
    What has happened to PF? It seems to be diesel love now days. Maybe the name should be changed to Particulate Forums.
    1UZ+1NZ...

Comment

something like this?
      http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...0GH-000G-00001
      Originally posted by Walt Kowalski
      Memes are only detectable by NSA.

Comment

Originally posted by clutch-monkey View Post
        I have one like that coming off eBay, <$10 worth.

It has an inbuilt battery too, so im going to experiment with it for a helmet cam on the bike too.
        Chris
        ------
        The new nugget
        I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Comment

Front / rear would be good. I give no fark for HD. As long as I can make out the plate of Missus Chong smacking into the side of me, I'll be happy with that camera.

Comment

if you want to be able to reliably read plates you are going to need HD (im factoring in the negative effect of cheap China-spec lenses and less than perfect conditions such as glare and angle here - we got a $30 Ebay one in at work to test, even though it worked fine and was "HD", you wouldve been very lucky to be able to read someone's plate from it)

the ones i was looking at were basically little black boxes that mount under teh dash/seat and have inputs for a couple of cameras that can be stuck anywhere on teh car and typically use removable SD cards - i'll see if i have the link

Originally posted by Jim
            I feel that rules are important as without rules there is no cheating and cheating is a vital part of drag racing.
            Originally posted by elfturbomax
            What has happened to PF? It seems to be diesel love now days. Maybe the name should be changed to Particulate Forums.
            1UZ+1NZ...

Comment

Most "HD" are just BS. I've yet to see a proper HD that outperforms a cheap point and shoot camera like my Canon IXUS75 (5+ y.o camera). Unfortunately no one has created a hack to the firmware to allow it to cycle record and auto power up with the charger on those things or else I would have used them ages ago.

Comment

interested also, $100-200 range is fine. Probably only need front facing as couldnt be arsed setting it up properly.
                this signature intentionally left blank

Comment

Thoughts on this - http://dx.com/p/5-0mp-cmos-wide-angl...tft-lcd-118263 - http://dashcamtalk.com/gs1000/
                  this signature intentionally left blank

Comment

Get a 2nd hand series 1 gopro?

I dont know about the older ones but on my gopro3 you can set it to loop record (whole mem card or just 5mins-10mins-1hr-etc)

Comment

BlackVue - I've just used one for a week and it's excellent.
                      PF is going to do a review on them soon and hopefully have an awesome deal for you blokes.

Comment

I have an itb100-hd it's the shit

Video quality is very good

Comment

Originally posted by Billzilla View Post
                          BlackVue - I've just used one for a week and it's excellent.
                          This. I have one and the picture quality is outstanding.

Comment

Very interested in how the Blackvue goes long term, i read a lot of bad reports about them overheating & failing, which put me off buying one. Maybe it's been resolved in the new ones?

EDIT

Here is one of the reviews that talks a lot about the Blackvue overheating problems
                            http://dashcamtalk.com/blackvue-dr400g-hd-ii/
                            Jaguar XJR, Freelander 2 HSE, Jaguar XKR, MINI Cooper S
                            Originally posted by nutttr
                            People must assume you are some sort of drug dealer with all these nice cars turning up to a fibro home

Comment

Bill - how close are you on the blackvue deal. Am about to stump the dollars for one this week.
                              Motorsport is a disease, where poverty is the only cure
                              The ego writes cheques that skill can't cash - DJ

Comment

Working...
                              X