Car Detailing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gents,

Have two freshly painted cars to do [well, one isnt painted yet but will be shortly and will need doing because im bound to get shit in the paint]. One is solid, the other is clear over base. I have fuck all in terms of equiptment and even less money to waste on that at the moment, so buying a DA or forced whatever is out of the question at the moment. What i DO have is a speed-adjustable Rotary and a bunch of new "wool" [really fine wool] pads. Was planning on using this and hopefully just topping it with a wax:

https://www.carcareproducts.com.au/f...400-250ml.html

Thoughts? To harsh? Too little margin for error for a nugget like me? Or should i go something softer/safer? Can i use the wool pads or should i get a foam waffle one?
    1978 Gemini Sedan - Powered by i change my mind every week
    1980 Gemini Sedan
    1992 Land Rover Discovery 200TDI

Comment

I have bought an old hilux (2006 model) in the basic white colour - what is the deal with this paint? I heard it is single stage but have no idea what that means?

Am I able to give it a heavy cut with a DA (clay first obviously) ?

Comment

Streak free glass. How does it work?
        So I'm not a complete moron. And I have tried everything I can think of, but I can't get what I consider to be clean glass.
        Always some form of streaking once I see it in the sun.
        I've tried.....
        Water Only
        demineralised water Only
        Isopropyl and water mix (varying percentages)
        Method and water mix (varying percentages)
        Windex
        3 different Windex like auto glass cleaner stuff

Tried all of the above with
        Waffle weave cloth
        Micro fibre cloth
        Paper towel
        News paper

Tried cleaning I'm sun, shade, cold, warm....

While it's clean, it's always got some form of streak mark that I can see in places depending on sun shine angle.

The marks are only on the outside of the glass.

Help me jebus.

Comment

50:50 distilled water / vinegar.

Glass cleaning cloth.

Comment

Clean glass first with magic eraser and water. Then stoners glass cleaner with a clean glass cleaning cloth in the shade on a cool windscreen. Always use a clean towel.
            CAD Automotive Paint Correction, like us on the faceballs. Discounts on all detailing and ceramic coatings for PF members

Comment

Originally posted by F3ARED View Post
              Gents,

Have two freshly painted cars to do [well, one isnt painted yet but will be shortly and will need doing because im bound to get shit in the paint]. One is solid, the other is clear over base. I have fuck all in terms of equiptment and even less money to waste on that at the moment, so buying a DA or forced whatever is out of the question at the moment. What i DO have is a speed-adjustable Rotary and a bunch of new "wool" [really fine wool] pads. Was planning on using this and hopefully just topping it with a wax:

https://www.carcareproducts.com.au/f...400-250ml.html

Thoughts? To harsh? Too little margin for error for a nugget like me? Or should i go something softer/safer? Can i use the wool pads or should i get a foam waffle one?
              Dont listen to people rotaries are a danger. Just have it on a slow speed and still will do a better job than a DA. DA's are slow and their cutting ability suck for paint levelling.

But you will run into holograms if ya dont know what ya doing. So this is where a DA will be useful.

So I start on the rotary, go to forced rotation during the polishing/finishing. I never use just orbit, I have better things to do than wait!

Comment

Any tips for bird poo etched into black paint?
                "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

"In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
                (TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
                Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02

Comment

Originally posted by itsnotagsr View Post
                  Any tips for bird poo etched into black paint?
                  Depends how bad it is. Can be sanded out if it isn't too bad.
                  CAD Automotive Paint Correction, like us on the faceballs. Discounts on all detailing and ceramic coatings for PF members

Comment

Originally posted by snavy View Post
                    Dont listen to people rotaries are a danger. Just have it on a slow speed and still will do a better job than a DA. DA's are slow and their cutting ability suck for paint levelling.

But you will run into holograms if ya dont know what ya doing. So this is where a DA will be useful.

So I start on the rotary, go to forced rotation during the polishing/finishing. I never use just orbit, I have better things to do than wait!
                    Are they meant to be so unbalanced and uncontrollable, or is this a sign of a shit cheap backing plate? Gave it a run with a wool pad because i have a few of them and fucking hell, the wobble was intense. Im talking proper jarring my wrists/elbows stuff
                    1980 Gemini Sedan

Comment

There's a reason good detailers very rarely use a rotary anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by FLI355 View Post
                        There's a reason good detailers very rarely use a rotary anymore.
                        Ive got no doubt you are right and it is way safer and better for 90% of what id be doing - i just happen to have the rotary and pads for $0, and a few shitboxes to experiment on without any concerns and or repocusions of if swirls or burn throughs. Id like to use what i have for the moment before i spend up on a DA, thats all. If it at least allows me to get an understanding of what to and not to do, then so be it

Its got a cheap backing pad on it at the moment and im wondering if thats not causing the wobbles at high speed. Does it with the machine spinning in free air and only gets worse when its on the panel
                        1980 Gemini Sedan

Comment

Morning all,

Bit of a noob when it comes to machine polishing, so hoping to get some advice. Car is a black R32 GTR, with loads of light wash swirls (don't think it's ever been detailed) and 2 water stains. Wanting to have a crack at getting rid of them. Luckily, mate has a basher I can have a practice on first.

What machine/pads/compounds would be good for someone starting out? Got bonus being paid in a few weeks, and would like to get something that'll still be good as (if) I get better at it. Any pointers?

Comment

Originally posted by Modified View Post
                            Morning all,

Bit of a noob when it comes to machine polishing, so hoping to get some advice. Car is a black R32 GTR, with loads of light wash swirls (don't think it's ever been detailed) and 2 water stains. Wanting to have a crack at getting rid of them. Luckily, mate has a basher I can have a practice on first.

What machine/pads/compounds would be good for someone starting out? Got bonus being paid in a few weeks, and would like to get something that'll still be good as (if) I get better at it. Any pointers?
                            I'd start with reading this thread, probably already has all the answers if you bothered to read it.

Comment

Originally posted by Modified View Post
                              Morning all,

I went with the starter kit from CarCareProducts (.com.au) here: https://www.carcareproducts.com.au/r...ools-pads.html

Decent gear and a shitload of compound, given how little you actually need to apply to the pad.

Watch a bunch of Youtube videos and have a crack (and go see them in their showroom if it's convenient), it's pretty straightforward. Swirls and minor scratches should come out easily with the 400. Water stains/bird shit etching might be more tricky.

Comment

---
                                Shed Project: 1994 Laser Lynx with BP-T

Comment

Working...
                                X