No announcement yet.

Car Detailing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A mate of mine used to be the "head chemist" at a low to mid level automotive cleaning product company. The company he worked for started diluting products once they got to a certain level of consumer uptake.

Comment

Originally posted by willsy01 View Post

I've only seen it at Car Care Products.....
      Also ppcco but yes unless you live near a Car Care Products outlet it is online only in Aus.

Comment

I use Bilt Hamber auto foam, shampoo, their APC / degreaser (Surfex HD) and their clay bar. Fantastic products.

Comment

Originally posted by Gussy View Post
          I personally use Gyeon Tire which I find great.

https://gyeonquartz.com.au/product/tire/
          have you tried the heat gun option in the instructions? got a few months out of it last time I used it

Comment

Originally posted by andy_wk View Post

Buy something else, it's one of Bowdens poorest performing products, along with their 'new' formula wheel cleaner. If you were local I'd drop off the remaining 2/3 full large bottle I'm unlikely to ever use.
            I'd love to know the official reason behind the 'new formula'
            I know the internet rumour (and have seen it in person once)

Comment

Originally posted by Stix Zadinia View Post

have you tried the heat gun option in the instructions? got a few months out of it last time I used it
              Not yet, been meaning to get the old hair dryer out to give that a go!

Comment

Originally posted by Stix Zadinia View Post

I'd love to know the official reason behind the 'new formula'
                I know the internet rumour (and have seen it in person once)
                Was that discolouring / fading painted calipers? (The story I heard was HSV brakes or something).

Comment

Originally posted by Gussy View Post

Was that discolouring / fading painted calipers? (The story I heard was HSV brakes or something).
                  Definitely heard of Snow foams causing issues on single stage paints and powder coats. Also curling of rubbers and a etching/bleaching of plastics and rubbers in some cases.

Not just Bowdens, but across the board Snow Foam is a product that by nature is reasonably harsh, then you have to trust the user to apply it correctly under the right circumstances (usually cold/cool car including brakes etc) and then not to let it dry on the car, and then to completely flush it off and out of nooks and crannies. Would be hard to completely “pin it on” the Snowfoam but I’ve seen “safe” chemicals do all manner of bad things.

I think Bowdens “new” formula is more about trying to maintain the hype in the fan base, plus probably adjust their chemistry for any number of reasons (cost and availability of inputs, risk of damage done to some surfaces etc).

Ceramic Detailing sprays can be pretty potent if left in a pool/droplet on painted finishes, and that’s been an issue for many years, it’s user error, but no one likes user errors that have “repaint” consequences
                  ---
                  Shed Project: 1994 Laser Lynx with BP-T

Comment

So wheel cleaner....I just used Meguiars Factory Equipped Wheel & Tyre Cleaner and found it pretty average. Used a full 709ml spray bottle for 1 wash of 4 wheels (Focus honeycomb wheels) and had to wipe the wheels over afterwards to remove the residual brake dust and grime thst didn't come off, At $27.99 a bottle I think that is expensive, especially for a product that doesn't work properly.

Click image for larger version

Name:	SCA_2669_hi-res.jpg?sw=1000&sh=1000&sm=fit.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	7239112

Comment

That’s wheel cleaners in the retail space, “prosumer” or commercial stuff is cheaper per volume and more potent. However for a good finish you’ll be doing some form of agitation if they’re bad.

I use Autosmart Red7, it’s a good alrounder without being too harsh. Also use it in a blend with basic detergent for paint decontamination.
                      ---

Comment

I just use what left in the bucket after washing the car (mguirs soft wash).

It may be that they are new, and I am cleaning them weekly, but it comes right off.

Anyone have any experience with the do it your self ceramic coating kits? Any tips for new players? Cheers.
                        .... because every driver experiences the destructive potential of the effortless surge of power available through the smallest of body movements.

Dr Hoon

DrNick is king!!!! No, Mark Webber is now! Long live the king!... hold on a minute mate, Ricci is in charge now

Comment

Yeah I just use the normal wash and its fine. Using costco microfibre towels and maguires gold in a foam lance.
                          this signature intentionally left blank

Comment

Others with more skin in the game will disagree because it can be a bit of a holy war but any of the basic coatings will work well. Your prep and maintenance will be the factor in longevity.

I did the XR4 back in October with CQuartz UK Edition, the factory paint is single stage (no clear) and I machines it, but didn’t correct it. So basically is not going to last as well nor look as awesome as it could.

Click image for larger version

Name:	5F082E67-89A8-459D-9D2B-6FD51263F338.jpeg
Views:	143
Size:	2.43 MB
ID:	7239139

Thats the roof after some rain. Hadn’t been washed in a few weeks, and lives outside all the time. Gets the “Reload” occasionally.

Under better install conditions they claim up to 3 years life. I’m expecting 12-18 months. For $80/kit I’m happy. And it’s very forgiving to work with. There’s a similar Gyeon and other brand kits in the same price ranges and they all review well. I use the CQuartz on everything (trim/lights/body/wheels) rather than have the multiple versions. There’s some benefit with having the specific products for each substrate, but from a DIY perspective you’re better off having one product everywhere and minimal product wastage (may need two 30ml bottles to do a GRY all over, two coat, with wheels).

Looking into https://atriprocoating.com/ stuff as some early reviews look promising.

I find the cars I’ve done that get left under trees and never washed still have the paint go to shit, but it does take longer...
                            ---

Comment

So do you put it on the glass/rubber/plastics etc?
                              .... because every driver experiences the destructive potential of the effortless surge of power available through the smallest of body movements.

Dr Hoon

DrNick is king!!!! No, Mark Webber is now! Long live the king!... hold on a minute mate, Ricci is in charge now

Comment

My car has scratches and chips all over but it comes up nice (for a week hah) after some ceramic spray stuff. I forget which one this is right now but that's after 2 coats 24h apart.
                                I pretty much get it on everything external. Not sure if that's correct but seems to work for me
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X