No announcement yet.

Car Detailing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The door jambs tell me it's been on a few dirt roads. Or it's a yaris and been on 1.
    .... because every driver experiences the destructive potential of the effortless surge of power available through the smallest of body movements.

Dr Hoon

DrNick is king!!!! No, Mark Webber is now! Long live the king!... hold on a minute mate, Ricci is in charge now

Comment

Also, what do you charge for fixing a shit show like that?
      .... because every driver experiences the destructive potential of the effortless surge of power available through the smallest of body movements.

Dr Hoon

DrNick is king!!!! No, Mark Webber is now! Long live the king!... hold on a minute mate, Ricci is in charge now

Comment

Fucking Horse People! With my encounters you would easily be mistaken for thinking they carry the horse/hay/equipment/feed in the actual ute and not the tray or trailer. And when you open the door you have to move the local Ag-N-Vet out of the way to find the so called passenger seat.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by nastysven View Post
          Also, what do you charge for fixing a shit show like that?
          Somehow this job was charged at $150, which ultimately is a “loss” given the knock in effect of squeezing it into a fully booked day, and the impact it has on the bay cleanup (yes it was also caked in mud as it does live up a dirt road). Also burns through cloths and chemicals at an alarming rate, that in itself is a pain when operating on your customers site (we do the fleet cars, and then staff personal cars for this client on their premises).

If I was to do it under my own shingle (I sub my labour out to my mates business on days like today) you’d be looking closer to the $500 level and that’d still have short comings. Ultimately it comes down to where you stop actually thinking of it in terms of fiscal return and doing something that “makes a difference” for the customer.

As a comparison we can exceed $400/hour on other on-site fleet work so realistically these sort of high-effort low return jobs are just part of keeping the business grounded because being picky about your customer base really can bite you in the arse when the economy falters, or even follows regular cycles, so we take a crack at anything, and as such it’s paid off.

To give an idea of the variance of work we cover, new vehicle launches (aka clean between drive loops, start of day, end of day etc, we do this for light trucks and cars), Government House vehicles, Police vehicles, garbage trucks, various state gov fleets, commercial fleets, new trucks (pre sale), industrial machines, Show prep for Summernats and other shows etc etc just did a bunch of ANCAP test wrecks.
          ---
          Shed Project: 1994 Laser Lynx with BP-T

Comment

I always wondered if people who have filthy cars like that realise that the job is underquoted, don't want to do any cleaning themselves and take advantage, or if they are just totally oblivious to the state of it and wouldn't know where to start. If that were my car I'd at least get a hose, a vacuum cleaner and a brush and try to get the car to a 'normal' level of filth before handing it over for a 'standard' detail job.

Comment

Every “I don’t eat in my car” has Maccas fries under seat. Our cars are some of our most personal space, and can give a real insight to the customer and all their little habits. Sneaky smokers, forbidden fries, or even carpark coitus the cars give the game away.
              ---

Comment

I would have just handed the customer a can of petrol and match and said "do you want to do the honours".
                "It takes beer to make thirst worth while."

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron View Post
                  carpark coitus
                  Thanks, that’s the next album name sorted.

Comment

there's other businesses that can clean spew and wash cars/clean up fucked interiors

Comment

Originally posted by TT View Post
                      What is the current hotness for leather conditioners?
                      I've just run out of Zymol and have used duragloss 222 in the past
                      I've just moved to Durogloss, after trying Bowdens & Zymol. I think it's the best all rounder... Leather feels softer with this product.
                      https://www.carcareproducts.com.au/d...ather-kit.html

Comment

Got a new car arriving on Wednesday which has painted calipers - is there anything worth using on the calipers to protect them? Or just clean them with the usual wheel cleaner I use (bowden’s)

Comment

Originally posted by TT View Post
                          What is the current hotness for leather conditioners?
                          I've just run out of Zymol and have used duragloss 222 in the past
                          I've seen a few detailers recommend just regular common Oakwood leather care stuff you can find anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke352 View Post

I've seen a few detailers recommend just regular common Oakwood leather care stuff you can find anywhere.
                            Have used, and yep does what it says on the tin. Keep in mind that leather and automotive pleathers are two very different things.

half the time your regular vinyl/plastic product is the correct product for things like the backs and sides of seats, and the “leather” faces of the seats or steering wheel get the leather treatment.
                            ---

Comment

can someone recommend a good shammy/chamois?

my old man had a original Plas Chamois and i used it as a kid in the 80's all the way up to the 2000's and it still worked really well

i buy one from supershit thinking they are all the same and nup

there are Plas Chamois on ebay but are they the same? or is there better way to dry the car now?
                              www.holditflat.com

Comment

Nobody should be using chamois these days, You're assuming after the wash that no dirt exists on the paint surface but if you use a chamois you're going to drag any dirt / dust / grit left on the paint and cause scratching. A good drying towel is much better, after going through a whole lot of towels over the years I personally use a Korean Microfibre Dual Twisted Pile Drying Towel. There are lots of different brands on the market but I find them great.

Comment

Working...
                                X