Car Detailing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shonky View Post
    The Youtubers I see that push DIY ceramic coatings like AvalonKing reckon it's the business for faded black plastics.

Yeah or nah?
    Nah.

In can/will darken faded trim for a while, and different ceramics and plastic react differently together, but it’s not a sure thing. In a similar vein while most ceramics can be used on all surfaces the durability varies.

I think a lot of people who claim otherwise also wash and treat their plastics so frequently that they never actually test long term durability of the products they talk about.
    ---
    Shed Project: 1994 Laser Lynx with BP-T

Comment

Ok, i guess this is detailing related. I am going to need to remove all the flaking clear coat and scuff the paint on the Hilux before i raptor coat it. Was planning on just using my orbital polisher with 6" hook pad with green Scotchbrite. But it seems that 6" Green Scotchbrite pads with hook backing are a rareity these days. Plenty of places happy to sell me 5" ones, but no 6" ones.

Is there something I am missing here, or should i just go with 120grit?
      Chris
      ------
      The MX5 Noujet (its up market) | The Hilux Complete Nugget
      I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Comment

Originally posted by Shonky View Post
        The Youtubers I see that push DIY ceramic coatings like AvalonKing reckon it's the business for faded black plastics.

Yeah or nah?
        I bought a bottle of Avalon king just to protect the unpainted plastics. I just use the turtle wax's spray wax to protect the car every 2-3 months and be done with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Gussy View Post
          Nobody should be using chamois these days, You're assuming after the wash that no dirt exists on the paint surface but if you use a chamois you're going to drag any dirt / dust / grit left on the paint and cause scratching. A good drying towel is much better, after going through a whole lot of towels over the years I personally use a Korean Microfibre Dual Twisted Pile Drying Towel. There are lots of different brands on the market but I find them great.
          When you say chamois, do you mean the old leather kind?

Almost all "chamois'" these days are microfibre.

Comment

Drying towels make traditional chamois' look like a relic from the past...

The big fluffy yellow Meguiar's drying towel has been a god send for me....I only use chamois for drying areas that will likely have light dirt on them, like door jambs, and wheel faces etc...

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Ree View Post

The big fluffy yellow Meguiar's drying towel has been a god send for me....I only use chamois for drying areas that will likely have light dirt on them, like door jambs, and wheel faces etc...
              I use two big green suckers (Bowdens)... chamois use... door jams, wheels, exhaust. For wheels I should have purchased a Bowdens little chubby years ago and saved my knuckles.
              "It takes beer to make thirst worth while."

Comment

Originally posted by Reax View Post

I use two big green suckers (Bowdens)... chamois use... door jams, wheels, exhaust. For wheels I should have purchased a Bowdens little chubby years ago and saved my knuckles.
                We dont have Bowdens over this side of the ditch, but I keep reading about them on PF. Are they simply a detailing product supplier?

P.S whats a little chubby? Sounds like I need one...(thats what she said)

Comment

They are a safe bet and relatively well priced because one of the big 3 (supercheap, repco or autobarn) always has their stuff on sale. You would never pay RRP for it.

Green sucker has been great, although I think I need 2 for the wrx, just that bit too big of a car for one.

Comment

We dont have Bowdens over this side of the ditch, but I keep reading about them on PF. Are they simply a detailing product supplier?

Bowden family have a well known collection of classic cars. They started developing car cleaning products in the late 90s and turned it into a business.

Most/all of the products have names that are a bit of a play on words, hence "Big Green Sucker" is a drying towel, "Little Chubby" is a small brush

Comment

That's the exact one that turned me off drying towels!

Left a shitload of yellow lint all over the car, sucked at absorbing water once it was even slightly wet, and gave the car this weird static charge that made dust stick to it like a magnet.

Comment

Originally posted by BLO 767 View Post

That's the exact one that turned me off drying towels!

Left a shitload of yellow lint all over the car, sucked at absorbing water once it was even slightly wet, and gave the car this weird static charge that made dust stick to it like a magnet.
                        Im not sure about you chaps over there, but Meguiars seems to have a couple of different lines of product here in NZ, where it looks the same at a quick glance, but on closer inspection, you notice differences in things like colour or liquid, and its sudsing ability etc. I think that some of it is meant for other markets but somehow makes its way here.

I wonder if their cloths and towels are the same? As I have never noticed the lint or static issues with mine that you have experienced.

Comment

When you say chamois, do you mean the old leather kind?

Almost all "chamois'" these days are microfibre.
                          I don't know of any drying towels these days that are referred to chamois if they are microfibre? They probably shouldn't be using the term chamois due to the negative reputation that they have in the detailing community. If they're microfibre drying towels why not call them microbfibre drying towels instead of using old, out dated terminology / technology?

Comment

Originally posted by Gussy View Post

I don't know of any drying towels these days that are referred to chamois if they are microfibre? They probably shouldn't be using the term chamois due to the negative reputation that they have in the detailing community. If they're microfibre drying towels why not call them microbfibre drying towels instead of using old, out dated terminology / technology?
                            Literally all of them IME. It's hard to find an *actual* leather or similar chamois that isn't micro. Hence my questions and clarifications re: "don't use a chamois, use a microfibre towel."

I can imagine a thicker loopier towel is going to lift dirt up off the surface better than a low pile like this. But no issues in my usage.

This is what I use - the Bowdens purely for its size - (but Megs added also for reference re nomenclature).

Click image for larger version  Name:	BOSSC.jpg?20200930141034.jpg Views:	3 Size:	158.9 KB ID:	7265536

Click image for larger version  Name:	AG6000_Super-Glide-Chamois-Medium_2018_1024x1024.png?v=1616546739.png Views:	3 Size:	408.3 KB ID:	7265538

The other style I've used is this kind of micro chamois: I can't remember the brand, Autoglym or Mothers, but I've not seen one for a while and mine is pretty beat so it's relegated to wheels only.

The usual stockists have a glass cloth similar with that waffley pattern currently, but as mentioned, haven't seen one sold as a micro chamois in this style for yonks.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_0888.jpg Views:	3 Size:	54.6 KB ID:	7265537

Im not sure about you chaps over there, but Meguiars seems to have a couple of different lines of product here in NZ, where it looks the same at a quick glance, but on closer inspection, you notice differences in things like colour or liquid, and its sudsing ability etc. I think that some of it is meant for other markets but somehow makes its way here.

I wonder if their cloths and towels are the same? As I have never noticed the lint or static issues with mine that you have experienced.

I've got to add, it wasn't recently. Maybe 2 years ago.
                            Was tempted to try the Big Green Sucker - the towels do seem all the rage at usual stockists, a myriad of offerings, but I've not dared to go back after the Megs experience. It could well be they changed the construction or design a little bit. It was a shame because I barely used it and was expensive for one cloth. I didn't even relegate it to a polishing cloth or similar because it just kept linting like crazy.
                            Last edited by BLO 767; 27-06-21, 08:30 PM.

Comment

https://www.bowdensown.com.au/the-little-chubby
                              "It takes beer to make thirst worth while."

Comment

Literally all of them IME. It's hard to find an *actual* leather or similar chamois that isn't micro. Hence my questions and clarifications re: "don't use a chamois, use a microfibre towel."

I can imagine a thicker loopier towel is going to lift dirt up off the surface better than a low pile like this. But no issues in my usage.

This is what I use - the Bowdens purely for its size - (but Megs added also for reference re nomenclature).

The other style I've used is this kind of micro chamois: I can't remember the brand, Autoglym or Mothers, but I've not seen one for a while and mine is pretty beat so it's relegated to wheels only.

The usual stockists have a glass cloth similar with that waffley pattern currently, but as mentioned, haven't seen one sold as a micro chamois in this style for yonks.

Yea, fair enough on the naming convention. There's not a chance that I use any of those that you linked though due to the length / depth of the fibres but each to their own.

Comment

Working...
                                X