No announcement yet.

Car Detailing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any tips on how to detail the engine bay? Doesn't have to be show car quality, just want to remove the film of fine dust on everything.

Comment

SO I have some rims to tidy up.

Autosol was suggested. Can you use it with an electric polisher?

Click image for larger version

Name:	219087429_530373294866874_9222809379711508511_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=ae9488&_nc_ohc=Yi5jCN23Gb0AX-w5CmC&_nc_ht=scontent-syd2-1.xx&oh=dfb25075eb030f8eae98233a00f382d0&oe=6122A51C.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	7274422
      .... because every driver experiences the destructive potential of the effortless surge of power available through the smallest of body movements.

Dr Hoon

DrNick is king!!!! No, Mark Webber is now! Long live the king!... hold on a minute mate, Ricci is in charge now

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	221354848_519875305944968_6767345018071719753_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=ae9488&_nc_ohc=kAVAD3j1NnMAX9QLZLf&_nc_oc=AQnC5Dfv_6hl_Sp4ZwJAbhVUWYZNJ6jVOuXJ90sAtbbSl2rM0--fkw-e0Z5_tnyIrlY&_nc_ht=scontent-syd2-1.xx&oh=cbdaea22b792
Views:	96
Size:	217.5 KB
ID:	7274425
        .... because every driver experiences the destructive potential of the effortless surge of power available through the smallest of body movements.

Dr Hoon

DrNick is king!!!! No, Mark Webber is now! Long live the king!... hold on a minute mate, Ricci is in charge now

Comment

Originally posted by Spammy View Post
          Any tips on how to detail the engine bay? Doesn't have to be show car quality, just want to remove the film of fine dust on everything.
          I did the engine bay of a friends (nopics) Mazda Demio this afternoon.

It was like yours...completely covered in a fine dust, so rather than involve excessive amounts of water by using a pressure washer. I just got a nice soft clean 1" wide paint brush, and gave everything a brush off, and to loosen anything stubborn from in the crevasses and corners etc.

Then I used an old rag to wipe down anything with an oily residue first, before using clean cloths and spray detailer and giving everything a good once over.

Depends how fussy you want to get, but I spent about an hour on it and it looks like new now

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Ree View Post

I did the engine bay of a friends (nopics) Mazda Demio this afternoon.

It was like yours...completely covered in a fine dust, so rather than involve excessive amounts of water by using a pressure washer. I just got a nice soft clean 1" wide paint brush, and gave everything a brush off, and to loosen anything stubborn from in the crevasses and corners etc.

Then I used an old rag to wipe down anything with an oily residue first, before using clean cloths and spray detailer and giving everything a good once over.

Depends how fussy you want to get, but I spent about an hour on it and it looks like new now
            So other than the spray detailer, clean brush and rags, NO product as such?
            Jim.

VS ute appreciation society

(you know it makes sense..)

Comment

Originally posted by kgc10-R View Post

So other than the spray detailer, clean brush and rags, NO product as such?
              Its a case by case basis really

If its an old oily car from decades ago, then you will surely need some degreaser and a bit of elbow grease, but for newer cars, they typically just get dusty, so arent too tough to bring back to new.

I have a dash and trim restorer that i use for for any under bonnet plastics, airbox, hoses, weatherstrips, and the windscreen wiper cowl etc, just to give it that factory fresh appearance

Comment

Mr Sven. That’s the clear coat on those wheels over the machines finish failing. They are - for the purposes of a detailing discussion - done

If you start using either acid, non-acid, caustic, jizz or spit on them it will work into those little wormy areas and start making them worse, if it’s real bad they’ll corrode the alloy rather than just discolouring it.

Last edited by Aaron; 24-07-21, 09:56 PM.
                ---
                Shed Project: 1994 Laser Lynx with BP-T

Comment

Originally posted by Spammy View Post
                  If you snow-foam you can do it with a drier mix (thicker foam) and just hose off without being a dumb idiot when it comes to putting water pressure into electrical connectors. Also stick some rags in the valley above the coils (assuming two cam) before you start as you don’t want water in the plug wells.

Aggitate with a softish brush if you’re inclined.

Then cloths and plastic/vinyl/rubber spray to do the hoses and plastics. One thing I used to do was wet soak everything in the vinyl spray. Leave it for a few hours. Then go back and mist and wipe up excess and even out coverage.

You’ll also find that some tyre shines/cleaners that contain cleaning agents rather than just silicone, will work great on hoses and stuff. A squirt and brushing/rubbing like you do on the tyres.

Once you’re at a clean point use a spray sealant on all the painted surfaces and it’ll stay cleaner longer.

The moment you’re done fire it up and get it warm for a bit. You can always touch up the products, but it’s best to get moisture evaporating out of the harnesses and nooks and crannies sooner rather than later.
                  ---

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron View Post
                    Mr Sven. That’s the clear coat on those wheels over the machines finish failing. They are - for the purposes of a detailing discussion - done

If you start using either acid, non-acid, caustic, jizz or spit on them it will work into those little wormy areas and start making them worse, if it’s real bad they’ll corrode the alloy rather than just discolouring it.
                    Cheers.

So full resto, or I've done my dosh?

Dr Hoon

Comment

Originally posted by nastysven View Post

Cheers.

So full resto, or I've done my dosh?
                      Resto. Depending on the finish you want it’s just a strip, a quick machine or polish of the spokes, and the repainting.

Functionally they’re fine now, but it’s like anything, once there’s a path under the paint/clear that genie is not going back into the bottle.

if you get an agent under the clear that eats aluminium then it’s going to party down hard!
                      ---

Comment

cheers man. I'll live with the 'far from good, but good from afar' untill next year when i do the interior re trim. (year to year budget on the re-furb). i'I cant spend my holidays on travel, so I'll spend it on this shit heap.

Dr Hoon

Comment

Working...
                        X