Holden Gone by 2017 - Is the Australian Media Killing our Car Industry

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shame no one has ever done a Cimarron front end conversation on a Camira.

Comment

https://www.caradvice.com.au/763318/...sales-figures/

14 months of declining sales, not just holden though.
      "It takes beer to make thirst worth while."

Comment

yeah, thats cos of this thing called a recession.
        Originally posted by Marv
        Only be concerned if that Dunning-Kruger Motorsports bloke is there and goes all Captain Damphands McGigglefingers on you after a couple of lemon squashes....

I'M NOT A HOOKER BUT 20 BUCKS IS 20 BUCKS...

robslothyoung - follow me on insta.

Comment

Originally posted by Reax View Post
          https://www.caradvice.com.au/763318/...sales-figures/

14 months of dealing sales, not just holden though.
          I'd love to see the numbers on the Holden Commodore - what they used to sell (in volume/value). I dare say due to the fact they had a huge backlog of stock to work through this was as a result of sales not hitting their expected forecast. With this in mind I wonder if they would've shut the doors on production in the first place?

The problem when we start bringing the word "recession" into the picture is that shutting down things like local car production is a contributing factor. This particular example goes further than this. I don't know the finer details, but the ownership structure of Ford & Holden with their parent US companies was not going to work long term. You've got a wedge where the parent companies want to try and milk markets for profitability, and are constantly looking to reduce complexity. Holden & Ford were at odds to these objectives and as a result we end up where we are, but it is a situation where as inefficient as the local industry was from a production perspective it was more important to our economy than these parent US companies. And we'd just started making really good cars. Shame.

Fast forward in 20 years time and I suppose it would've been inevitable. Even more so we wouldn't have been able to compete on the global scale in the electric era.
          Find your Freedom
          Home Loans | Car Loans | Investment Portfolios | Property Management
          www.FreedomFunding.com.au
          www.ProgressiveProperty.com.au

Click for PF Loans
          If you're thinking of buying, or that you may be paying too much on your home loan PM me for a no obligation chat!

Comment

Well if wikipedia is correct (2010 - 2018)

2010 45,956
            2011 40,617
            2012 30,532
            2013 27,766
            2014 30,203
            2015 27,770
            2016 25,860
            2017 23,676
            2018 9,040
            2019 1368 (Until March)
            "It takes beer to make thirst worth while."

Comment

Originally posted by Morgs View Post
              Even more so we wouldn't have been able to compete on the global scale in the electric era.
              Except if Tesla can exist, there's no reason (apart from no company manufacturing being local) we couldn't have competed.
              Although whether Tesla can continue as a car company once manufacturers who can screw 'em together properly start selling competitors for 2/3 the price, I dunno.

On the volume of Commodes sold, some of that 2018 figure of 9040 would have been discounted VF2's, they said they'd made enough stock to keep selling at the same rate for quite a few months (and once the car was "the old one" sales would have started to trail off).
              But on the other hand, Holden were saying publically that they only expected to sell 5% as many ZB's as VF's, due to the car being much more niche targeted in the market as it stood in 2018.
              Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Comment

Originally posted by jaikai View Post
                My vague memories recall the JB being nothing but a slug. Solid as a rock but a 1.8ltr slug. JC was no better, JE got the (no less wheezy) 2.0ltr?
                JB. 1.6
                JD 1.6 and the 1.8l multiport injected ( from slug to slingshot)
                JD ULP...1.8 throttle body injected. Slug again.
                JE 2l mpfi...slingshot again

I had a N13 pulsar q with the ulp 1.8l mpfi engine. It was a fast car in 1988. Would redline in 5th gear

Comment

JE Camira = Mini_VL

Comment

^ Well, given that Camira was what the Euros call a "D Segment" car, and the current Commodore is what the Euros call a "D Segment" car yep, same-same.
                    Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Comment

JD slug to slingshot...wow, I'm not the only one who remembers the Wheels story headline from 85! A white JD it was too. I've still got the magazine, along with all the others, dammit!

Ah the all white out specials of the 80's, good times. Looking at you Turbo Laser! Oh, an my parents had a Charade Bianco stickered special too from about 91, with, wait for it, white hubcaps! Wowee. White out specials, generally accompanied by fluro leotards, big hair and white Reeboks in the adverts if my memory serves me at all.

Comment

Dont forget the pulsar reebok 😂
                        Originally posted by Rdyno
                        70ynu has to be the most retarded cunt here. "Help me please" me "you need to remove your head" him "fuck off cunt I'm to lazy fuck off out of my thread you told me to do something I don't want to do so you're a cunt fuck off can some one please tell me an easier way???"
                        Originally posted by Tripper
                        Its a tight battle between you and rogercordia for the most retarded member on here, thou i think you have it by 5 window licks

Comment

Or the Carla Zampatti Laser..

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
                          I climbed Mt Druitt

Comment

Sportsgirl Barina!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PKNhqdAs5-U

Comment

Does the fact that they were actually a good car preclude me from saying White Lightning in this context?

A mate was looking to buy one (we'd been somewhat blown away by the just-released SR20DE N14 & he was considering used alternatives with similar performance but more depreciation), the dealer insisted the wheels were white because they were "rally wheels".

That'll be why 200MPH's olds' Charade Bianco had white hubcaps, they were rally hubcaps.

Comment

Two years down the road and Holden isn't even in the Top 10 for sales anymore. Just 2863 Holdens sold last month, down 38.4% on a year ago and its worst month since 1948. The overall market was down 6.9% over last year so that's only part of the explanation.

I predicted it would be grim, but I didn't think it would be this grim.

With hindsight, I wonder how things would have gone if one of the locals had started making dual cab utes here? To be fair they weren't the massive sellers they now are when these sorts of decisions were being made at the start of the decade, but I wonder if there'd have been a business case that stacked up around 3000 utes and 2000 mid-size SUVs per month? Still only 60k cars a year though so probably not.

Comment

Working...
                                X