Holden Gone by 2017 - Is the Australian Media Killing our Car Industry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Forg View Post
    The problem may be that there isn't one.
    I think you may be on the right path there.

So much choice today. So many options.

I'm looking online at cars that i may change to next year. All very nice cars yet i am finding fault with all of them. Perhaps the saturation of offerings and design have made us to picky? Our first world problems perhaps coming back to bite us in that our expectations are now on planet Mars?

Comment

how long until toyota ups and runs?

cant wait until this place is like New Zealand
      Originally posted by boxxx

Deutsche Bahn Rail: Trains are a great way to get lots of people concentrated into a small area, like a camp.
      ACA/TT: Where's the line between a car enthusiast and hoon? There is none

Comment

does this mean we'll be allowed to import cars finally?
        I am a retarded 747 captain who now sells waterslides in Perth.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyJZX View Post
          how long until toyota ups and runs?

cant wait until this place is like New Zealand
          About the same time Holden shuts shop. Suppliers for both Holden and Toyota are somewhat closer than they are to Ford. So if Holden is gone, the suppliers will be way under capacity and will either jack up prices for their parts to pay for their fixed costs or shut shop thereby leaving Toyota with no option than to import the part or themselves shutting shop.

And yes, then there will be a case of more grey imports but I don't know how much it will improve given the scare tactics of some saying that Japanese sold cars are more dangerous than the ones sold in Australia which we all know is just bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Gahan View Post
            does this mean we'll be allowed to import cars finally?
            :rotflol:

Comment

Originally posted by RTFM View Post
              The market is changing, when a couple of people in a shed can concept, design and build a 'better' car than a major manufacturer.
              Do tell?

Originally posted by Dave Gahan View Post
              the company needs to stand on its own two feet, cant just plow money into it forever
              Every other manufacturer has money thrown at them ... why not Holden & Toyota in Oz?
              If all other manufacturers are able to make cheaper product due to being govrrnment funded, why shouldn't ours get government funding too?

Plough, BTW.
              Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Comment

he doesnt mean Tesla does he?
                Originally posted by boxxx

Deutsche Bahn Rail: Trains are a great way to get lots of people concentrated into a small area, like a camp.
                ACA/TT: Where's the line between a car enthusiast and hoon? There is none

Comment

I do wonder that maybe it would be better to let the industry collapse instead of artificially supporting it so that sustainable business models can be developed from the ashes.
                  Turns out, far too much has been written about great men and not nearly enough about morons

Originally posted by seedyrom
                  my neighbours called the cops...... not because of the sound of me working in the garage was too loud, but because i taped a cardboard box to my back, covered my self in vaseline and pretended i was a snail on their lawn

Comment

Originally posted by TonyJZX View Post
                    he doesnt mean Tesla does he?
                    Maybe ... Tesla's an interesting example in being able to make personal profit out overpriced product plugging a short-lived niche in the market ... the other stuff that guy's talking about is pretty whacky though (maglevs in vacuum tubes? Really?) & it will be interesting to see how long they last.

Originally posted by Jim View Post
                    I do wonder that maybe it would be better to let the industry collapse instead of artificially supporting it so that sustainable business models can be developed from the ashes.
                    I can't see that working, the infrastructure's just too big to put in-place from a blank slate. Once it's gawn, it's gawn, uness/until our standard/cost of living drops back to 3rd-world standards.
                    Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Comment

I'd love to get an electric motorcycle company off the ground here in Aus. The problem is, everything costs too much, and it's too far gone to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim View Post
                        Its a really complicated question. There is the literal cost, a huge amount is going to go back in via taxes and then you have to weigh up that figure vs what it would cost to have them and all the supporting manufacturers out of work (welfare etc) and theres the social cost of having a decent chunk of workers unemployed, and associated indutry shut down. When it is this established its kinda hard to figure it out.

The problem is that Holden will play games with it and act in bad faith, threaten to shut down etc to make sure they get the $ where its probably possible they could float on their own but would rather get cash from the government.

As a very loose way of negotiating to keep things viable, they could possibly put coniditions on it, or make it based on certain amounts of profit, e.g. you put this much money into our economy and we will give you a discount somewhere, but obviously enough to make it worth it for them and hopefully in a way that encourages them to stay.
                        this signature intentionally left blank

Comment

Originally posted by gat5rodeo View Post
                          I'd love to get an electric motorcycle company off the ground here in Aus. The problem is, everything costs too much, and it's too far gone to fix it.
                          Tesla did it ... all their employees can't be off-book Mexicans.

Comment

Originally posted by CussCuss View Post
                            The problem is that Holden will play games with it and act in bad faith, threaten to shut down etc to make sure they get the $ where its probably possible they could float on their own but would rather get cash from the government.
                            There's also the fact of them being fully-owned by an overseas company which has no particular interest in Holden's standalone profitability, only the overall group.

Comment

Originally posted by Forg View Post
                              Tesla did it ... all their employees can't be off-book Mexicans.
                              yeah with the backing of a guy worth a billion bucks, and he had to throw in so much cash he almost went broke
                              I am a retarded 747 captain who now sells waterslides in Perth.

Comment

The problem is GM not Holden. Which arsehole in GM thought bringing Opel into Oz was a good idea? Holden is suppose to represent all GM products for oz. Holdens line up is weak, AMG seems to have a bigger model line up at the moment than Holden.

They should just start introducing all the different GM products to oz as holdens that doesn't conflict with the Commodore market. Who wouldn't want to see a Holden Corvette or Camaro. They could even charge $1000 extra for Chev badge option. :w:
                                :worship: RIP Sir Jack Brabham AO, OBE (1926-2014) 3 World Titles, Legend.

Comment

Working...
                                X