Holden Gone by 2017 - Is the Australian Media Killing our Car Industry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jim View Post
    I do wonder that maybe it would be better to let the industry collapse instead of artificially supporting it so that sustainable business models can be developed from the ashes.
    This would have to be a world first as every other country making cars on a large scale is some what funded by their government, currently Australia is the lowest funded.
    If it is true that for every dollar that the government puts in they get back $6 (or what ever it is) then there would have to be a huge flow on effect if it goes.

I am so over the whole Holden build the wrong cars, the Commodore although no longer at the top is in the top5 not bad considering there are over 300different cars available to buy. The truth is one car that could be made to take majority share like back in the day.
    B&N Performance Engineering - 4Bangers & Mash Racing
    1978 LB Lancer IPRA Car - In the making LB Lancer 4G63 IPRA Build - Now up and driving

Comment

Exports being killed has been the biggest impact to Holden. The product being offered is better than ever, the AUD sell price hasnt changed, but the strength of the dollar (and some dodgy "free trade" deals) has killed it.

No one complains when the government build subs/ships/tanks, buy aircraft etc that we don't really need, but try and build cars on a level playing field compared to the rest of the world and people lose their shit.

Comment

Originally posted by RESON8 View Post

I am so over the whole Holden build the wrong cars, the Commodore .
        But it is the wrong car and only where it is because of history, patriotism, a very heavily backed dealer resource and reasonably attractive for a car of it's size - they are on a thin edge and one bad step would see them. Falcon was the same but had an even larger car image and the AU was their bad step that they never recovered from.

While I give Holden management credit for keeping a "wrong car" at the sales performance levels they do, I think they are/have painted themselves right royally into a corner.

I don't understand why Holden would announce a pullout with Ford actually doing it, Shirley some of the sales will immediately fall into Holden's hands so I'm calling bullshit - at least for the short term.

Comment

There is minus prestige in owning a Ford or a Holden, a significant factor in this country.
          Richard's DatsunZ lappin LakesidZ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47OSh...&feature=g-upl

Comment

Originally posted by cheapracer View Post
            I don't understand why Holden would announce a pullout with Ford actually doing it, Shirley some of the sales will immediately fall into Holden's hands so I'm calling bullshit - at least for the short term.
            I'm with you. The volumes to support the totals of Falcons + Commodores, except that nmber rolling down the one production-line, should be high enough to make it worthwhile building something that size here. But only from a Holden POV, GM thinks they can sell a Malibu (which should be $18k if you compare it to a Cruze on the basis of anything other than size) for the same $40k as a Commodore SS and pocket waay more profit than from selling an SS.
            Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Comment

Originally posted by cheapracer View Post
              But it is the wrong car and only where it is because of history, patriotism, a very heavily backed dealer resource and reasonably attractive for a car of it's size - they are on a thin edge and one bad step would see them. Falcon was the same but had an even larger car image and the AU was their bad step that they never recovered from. While I give Holden management credit for keeping a "wrong car" at the sales performance levels they do, I think they are/have painted themselves right royally into a corner. I don't understand why Holden would announce a pullout with Ford actually doing it, Shirley some of the sales will immediately fall into Holden's hands so I'm calling bullshit - at least for the short term.
              Then what is the right car?

Comment

Originally posted by Forg View Post

Plough, BTW.

Comment

Originally posted by Marco_VESS View Post
                  Then what is the right car?
                  Probably a gerlytruk, but one which uses shitloads of componentry with a Commode.
                  Like how all Subarus are the same.
                  Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Comment

Originally posted by Forg View Post
                    Probably a gerlytruk, but one which uses shitloads of componentry with a Commode.
                    Yep, it's called 'Territory".
                    Richard's DatsunZ lappin LakesidZ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47OSh...&feature=g-upl

Comment

I dont get it , sales production seems to be climbing ?

1978 Commodore VB Total built: 95,906
                      1980 Commodore VC Total built: 121,807
                      1981 Commodore VH Total built: 141,018
                      1984 Commodore VK Total built: 135,705
                      1986 Commodore VL Total built: 151,801
                      1988 Commodore VN Total built: 215,180
                      1991 Commodore VP Total built: 111,770
                      1993 Commodore VR Total built: 165,262
                      1995 Commodore VS Total built: 277,774
                      1997 Commodore VT Total built: 303,895
                      2000 Commodore VX Total built: 207,339
                      2002 Commodore VY Total built: 241,909
                      2004 Commodore VZ Total built: 228,788
                      2006 Commodore VE Total built: 520,000
                      Total 2.92 million
                      I wanna do 8s bruv! Without no stinkin' POWERCHIP

Id rather have a rock in my shoe when hikin' than have a POWERCHIP in my car when racin'

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Gahan View Post
                        the company needs to stand on its own two feet, cant just plow money into it forever
                        Pretty much, if you know there is no future, profit or point in being here pull the pin and stop pissing your money away.
                        If they announced it for 2016 that gives the employees 2 years to get their shit together.

Comment

they built a lot of VEs because it went from 2006 to 2013? thats a long stretch
                          Originally posted by boxxx

Deutsche Bahn Rail: Trains are a great way to get lots of people concentrated into a small area, like a camp.
                          ACA/TT: Where's the line between a car enthusiast and hoon? There is none

Comment

Holden did say the VE platform would be used for 10 years. So exiting in 2017 seems to be about right as they won't invest another billion dollars in a replacement rwd platform.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Gahan View Post
                              the company needs to stand on its own two feet, cant just plow money into it forever
                              Every other country does, is Australia a special case where we shouldn't? OK if Australia does not want a car industry and it seems that this is the case then fair enough and the car companies have had years of advance notice that they are not wanted. The government most probably want them to go ASAP in their first term as they most probably have enough majority to get back in. Sure as hell if GM close up shop then they won't win any seats in SA and not many in VIC either. If GM don't shut up shop until after the next elections then the Libs will be toast and they would know that and nothing motivates a polly more than losing his seat.

Comment

the UK and Germany give heaps of money to their car companies but then they are export oriented and they pay real dividends

its too late for Holden and Ford and you can blame the parent for stifling any hope of expanding out of Australia
                                Originally posted by boxxx

Deutsche Bahn Rail: Trains are a great way to get lots of people concentrated into a small area, like a camp.
                                ACA/TT: Where's the line between a car enthusiast and hoon? There is none

Comment

Working...
                                X