No announcement yet.

Holden Gone by 2017 - Is the Australian Media Killing our Car Industry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alot of talk about pay here, anyone know what the breakdown of production costs are in aus?, what % of it is labor etc? I would like to know as I think the problem would more come down to the product and not the pay of the employees.

Comment

Originally posted by rbman View Post
      Alot of talk about pay here, anyone know what the breakdown of production costs are in aus?, what % of it is labor etc? I would like to know as I think the problem would more come down to the product and not the pay of the employees.
      I heard on the ABC the difference between our wages and a cheap manufacturing country like Thailand added 3% to the cost of the car.

A lot of people in this thread are looking at it from the Govco point of view, i.e. give them a bit more money so they will stay here. If Govco is propping them up they can't really make a profit can they? I don't know of many private enterprises that aim to merely break even.

This book is a good read:

One of the main ideas in the book is when industries evolve and transform, companies have to re-invent themselves to survive and flourish. Unfortunately Holden can't really re-invent themselves because they are just a small part of General Motors.

Comment

http://www.news.com.au/national/the-...-1226783057648

4cyl ,FWD, and keeping the nameplate. This will end well.

Comment

looks like what i'd imaging a big kia or hyundai to be like.

Comment

Will be interesting to see how they go selling the same old shit that everyone else is selling.
            as short as possible

Comment

like others have said once we lose this capability its unlikely to be back in our lifetime. Yeh ok its potentially un-viable in the next 5 - 10yrs but who knows what will happen with personal vehicle technology in the next 20years.

I dont know the answer and despite me not being a union fan I doubt they are the main issue here. Rightly or wrongly peoples taste in cars have changed and Holden/ford in Australia have not kept up.
              Originally posted by gerry;n7288577
              having done my fair share of snorting white powder, made by a bikie in a garage, off a dirty cistern in a night club, means I find the argument about not knowing whats in the vaccine slightly perplexing.

Comment

Originally posted by Potsy View Post

I wouldn't buy one. The whole appeal of the Commodore for me was V8 and RWD. Looking more and more like the next car will be a fucken Camry. How depressing.
                No. Driving an esky along the footpath will be the end humanity. This must be stopped.
                "Lol!! The son of satan will rideth thine esky, wearing nought but the beater of wives and the double secured half sandle, and he will wave his hands in great mirth ushering in the end of all mankind"

Comment

Originally posted by fly510 View Post
                  Rightly or wrongly peoples taste in cars have changed and Holden/ford in Australia have not kept up.
                  Again, the problem is that Folden in Australia couldn't keep up; Australian car-buying 'taste' didn't head in one direction which they failed to follow, it diversified, so the only way Folden could 'keep up' is to export. Between intra-company politics & the cost of manufacture limiting what could sensibly be made here; they just couldn't.
                  Don't think it's fair to say the Australian operations didn't try, though, it felt like Ford Oz would've loved to have tried markets all over the world (in around '98 I visited the Ford museum on a Great Ocean Road trip, and there were videos of testing & pre-prod stuff of the then-new AU which were clearly LHD).
                  Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Comment

But unlikely to be anywhere near as good at being a Camry as an actual Camry.

Comment

They must have picked up some marketing guys from Ford.

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Black View Post
                        But unlikely to be anywhere near as good at being a Camry as an actual Camry.
                        No, but it's going to rock at being a Chevrolet Malibu with a different badge on the back ...
                        Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Comment

Originally posted by komori440 View Post
                          Pointing the finger of blame is pretty irrelevant now unfortunately

Sadly enough manufacturing as an industry is dying the death of a thousand cuts, and whilst (my opinion) unions have helped this process with their petty penny pinching, I believe it's more of the attitude endemic of unions that has hastened it the most: that of "entightlment".

Cunts think they're entitled to a squillion bucks an hour for doing a job that realistically any cunt can do. Why? Because that Irish union cunt TOLD ME. Not cos I've fucken EARNED IT. Ffs our fourth year apprentice comes out of his time next week and expects to go straight on to senior machinist rates. I pulled him up on this yesterday (mentally he's spending the roughly $500/wk extra already!) and told him that when you CONSISTENTLY put out the amount of work and begin to minimize your fuck ups, you creep up. But not next Monday: you'll go to the base rate of roughly $18-20/hr. He argued that he's as good as anyo: "stop. Right. There. You've been running the same job on the same press as me this last few days and I've TRIPLED your output without trying hard*, you've gotta fucken earn it yet son"

Kids coming through these days simply feel entitled to be on the big $$ as soon as they get their ticket: never mind he'll never ever know as much about the printing process or have the same trouble shooting/problem solving skills I've earnt over the last 20 years... And from what I've seen he's not on his Pat Malone: 99% of kids think they're better/faster/stronger yada yada than experienced hands. And simply put... They're not.

*today's KOMORI humblerag statement bought to you by Toohey's New :D
                          Sounds familiar. We gave an 18 year old a one week trial as an apprentice mechanic a couple months ago and on his SECOND DAY of his trial he hit us up for a payrise. He couldnt get his head around the fact that he didnt actually have the job yet and he was throwing figures around of what a qualified mechanic gets and trying to justify himself with "my mate gets that much and my other mate makes more, you have to pay me the same or more to keep me" . He was asked to leave at the end of the week, then demanded that he was payed weekly until he found another job.

What is wrong with kids?

Comment

Originally posted by Terribleone View Post

What is wrong with kids?
                            too much time on internet forums ...

Comment

Originally posted by 9triton View Post
                              too much time on internet forums reading about keyboard hero's clearing mid six figure salary's for 2hrs work per day. …
                              Fixed.

Comment

LOL @ "General Motors did a top-secret deal with Holden". Ummm Holden is just a GM department. Internal company dealings re design and production allocation is hardly top secret deals.

Whatever badge, it won't sell. If Commodore, bogans will hate it because it isn't a real Commodore and non-bogans won't want the bogan badge. If not Commodore, good luck introducing yet another model into the crowded Camry/Maxima/Aurion/Genesis/etc market.

I thought GM would use this opportunity to wind up the Holden badge and get us onto global branding. Separate brands for each geography is crackpipe these days.

Comment

Working...
                                X