Holden Gone by 2017 - Is the Australian Media Killing our Car Industry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mr Evo 7 View Post
    The concept of offering incentives to buy Australian, has always fallen on the deaf ears of those who could implement such schemes.

There are quite a few policies and schemes the Government could introduce to support it, but for whatever reason, they haven't.

I'd be banging on the Holden dealer's door tomorrow, if they dropped the price of the Cruze down a tad, and added a driver's footrst.
    Id say its more about not upsetting the countries that buy dirt or grain or some other exported product. I notice a new FTA agreement has been signed that makes australian farmers happy, havent heard who gets fucked by that deal yet but someone always does.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Evo 7 View Post
      The concept of offering incentives to buy Australian, has always fallen on the deaf ears of those who could implement such schemes.

There are quite a few policies and schemes the Government could introduce to support it, but for whatever reason, they haven't.

I'd be banging on the Holden dealer's door tomorrow, if they dropped the price of the Cruze down a tad, and added a driver's footrst.
      I think if the pathetic Government who runs this country introduced a policy stating all government cars must be Australian made, it would single handedly make Ford and Holden profitable.

We have a dickhead polly over here called Troy Buswell, he's decided to import 50 (soon to be 100) white English taxi's from China and will subsidise any taxi driver who uses it to the tune of $13,000. So we have our own car industry and this dick goes and 100 new car sales off them instantly, then uses tax payers money to get the smelly Indian cunts to use them
      Originally posted by Mr Purple
      Wow. This guy was laughed off boost cruising and he shows up here, It's like getting beaten up by a two year old and then taking on an 800 pound gorilla.

Comment

Government departments used to be full of falcadores but in the name of cost cutting and downsizing its whatever is cheapest after 3 years (so purchase, running costs, resale)
        I remember the local council carpark would have 40 VT's in it of a weekday lol

Comment

footrest is apparently a ncap issue

lots of cars dont have them now
          Originally posted by boxxx

Deutsche Bahn Rail: Trains are a great way to get lots of people concentrated into a small area, like a camp.
          ACA/TT: Where's the line between a car enthusiast and hoon? There is none

Comment

Originally posted by Forg View Post
            The live rear axle Mustang handles like a bucket of shit.
            No they don't and if you stuck 99.9% of anyone in the Mustang and didn't mention it was a live rear axle they would come back raving about it. It all about perceptions.

A car has IRS so "must ride and handle well" and a car has a live rear axle "must ride and handle like shit" are lines that belong to Internet Warrors and can easily be refuted in the real world. Shame is the Internet Warrior's win out and often cost car manufacturers heavily.

And as for the question of ride, I ride often in the back of Benzs and was knocking around recently in a BMW 740 and the rear IRS shimmy is bloody awful, 2 luxury cars that could easily be improved with a better straight line tracking live axle or at least a DeDion. Imagine Benz or BMW announcing they would use a live rear axle though, car forums would implode and baby seals would die.

Comment

Originally posted by Buck Nasty View Post

We have a dickhead polly over here called Troy Buswell, he's decided to import 50 (soon to be 100) white English taxi's from China and will subsidise any taxi driver who uses it to the tune of $13,000. So we have our own car industry and this dick goes and 100 new car sales off them instantly, then uses tax payers money to get the smelly Indian cunts to use them
              http://www.themotorreport.com.au/573...tralian-cities

Possibly part of a deal made when Geely bought Driveline and saved a few jobs?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drivetr..._International

Comment

i think they need to move back to pushrods and live axles

and carbies too
                Originally posted by boxxx

Deutsche Bahn Rail: Trains are a great way to get lots of people concentrated into a small area, like a camp.
                ACA/TT: Where's the line between a car enthusiast and hoon? There is none

Comment

Originally posted by cheapracer View Post
                  No they don't and if you stuck 99.9% of anyone in the Mustang and didn't mention it was a live rear axle they would come back raving about it. It all about perceptions.

A car has IRS so "must ride and handle well" and a car has a live rear axle "must ride and handle like shit" are lines that belong to Internet Warrors and can easily be refuted in the real world. Shame is the Internet Warrior's win out and often cost car manufacturers heavily.

And as for the question of ride, I ride often in the back of Benzs and was knocking around recently in a BMW 740 and the rear IRS shimmy is bloody awful, 2 luxury cars that could easily be improved with a better straight line tracking live axle or at least a DeDion. Imagine Benz or BMW announcing they would use a live rear axle though, car forums would implode and baby seals would die.
                  totally agree, easy to fuck up IRS if you don't know what you are doing, and plenty of people who don't know what they are doing have fucked up IRSs.

Comment

http://www.themotorreport.com.au/573...tralian-cities

Possibly part of a deal made when Geely bought Driveline and saved a few jobs?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drivetr..._International
                    Yeh because the 400 that saved is worth more that the 10's of thousands in the Australian car industry

Pieces of shit don't even meet our safety standards that every other car has too :knock:
                    Originally posted by Mr Purple
                    Wow. This guy was laughed off boost cruising and he shows up here, It's like getting beaten up by a two year old and then taking on an 800 pound gorilla.

Comment

Originally posted by dnegative View Post
                      Government departments used to be full of falcadores but in the name of cost cutting and downsizing its whatever is cheapest after 3 years (so purchase, running costs, resale)
                      I remember the local council carpark would have 40 VT's in it of a weekday lol
                      I've noticed alot, most, cars on Commonwealth plates here in Canberra are locally made. I do know that the AFP has to buy locally produced vehicles where available that meet their performance requirements for the stipulated duty, AFP seriously looked into going to Volvo over Ford and Holden as the Volvo police package was considered a better all round vehicle.
                      The buy local policy also extends to ComCar, hence the Prime Minister has a bodgy 10 year old Caprice rather then a proper factory built Mercedes or BMW.

Comment

Could you imagine the uproar the opposition and Australian made loyalist would be if the PM went around in armoured MB/BMW.

Comment

Originally posted by greenhj View Post
                          real world is easier, only a small percentage of drivers can go anywhere near the limits of most vehicles handling, the rest are just idiots who blame the car when their ambition exceeds their ability.
                          Disagree. Ractracks don't have bumps, so solid-rear cars don't get punted offline like they do on the road.
                          It takes a much more talented driver to keep correcting for a randomly-bouncing rear-end, than if the car tracks true 'round the corner.

The average driver would be much more fazed by the behaviour of a solid-rear car, if they ever try driving the car around corners, as compared to someone with a lot of skill & experience.
                          However you're right from a showroom & buyer-test-drive POV; the downsides of the solid rear wouldn't be noticed during most people's test-drive.
                          Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Comment

Comment

Geez my solid rear end truck based SUV doesn't bounce around uncontrollably, in fact I never notice it enough to think 'wish I had IRS'. And that's on some rough roads, solid backs are way better than they used to be.
                              Richard's DatsunZ lappin LakesidZ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47OSh...&feature=g-upl

Comment

Originally posted by Buck Nasty View Post
                                I think if the pathetic Government who runs this country introduced a policy stating all government cars must be Australian made, it would single handedly make Ford and Holden profitable.
                                They announced that in August.
                                http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-08-0...sidies/4864400

I guess that has made Ford and Holden profitable by now?

Comment

Working...
                                X