New engine number

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New engine number

So the xw was registered many years ago with a 351 Clevo, some time later I split a bore and built a new motor around a virgin bore Clevo block that some bloke had stashed in his shed for many years.

This means that my registration engine number is different to my current engine number, do I need to inform the department of road transport?

What happens if that engine number was registered to a car that was stolen in 1976, stripped and I ended up with the block?
    2017 Ford Ranger XLT (Jeep Wrangler recovery vehicle)
    2007 KTM 250 SX

Originally posted by Monza
    I've never considered myself the type of guy to eat arse but I am currently reviewing that policy

they can impound the car as they suspect its been involved with a crime, have heard stories (maybe from here, or antilag cant recall)

That said, probably worth an anonymous call to the DPI - probably just get away with an engine number change form like any swap

Comment

No such dramas.

Go to Department of transport and tell them your old motor broke and the new engine number. They don't care so long as its a legit block, is the same age or newer and the same capacity.

It's a common thing. Also make sure you tell the insurance company. Mate got shafted because he forgot to tell them and had a major prang. Engine numbers didn't match so they reneg'd his claim.
      Sent from my shed, trapped under a collapsed QuickJack, via Tapatalk

Comment

You also need to take it into your local friendly authorized workshop to have the number verified.
        Lots of minis & mokes including a G13b powered Sports Sedan, a couple of Swift Gtis, a Goggomobil, Porsche 928S, Polo Gti, BMW 540i, a WRX and a few others.

Comment

Ok cheers guys, renewal notice came the other day so will prompt me to do this.
          2007 KTM 250 SX

I've never considered myself the type of guy to eat arse but I am currently reviewing that policy

Comment

Restamp old number on new engine, problem solved.

Comment

Which state are you in?

In Qld you don't need any workshop involvement.
              Just drive it to the Dept of Trans and tell them what you want to do.
              They will give you the appropriate form, and an overweight woman will put on a hi-vis vest, grab a torch and waddle on out to the carpark to verify the number.
              You could write a number on masking tape stuck to the air cleaner and tell them that's the engine number.. They rarely know what they are looking at and will rely on you to show them the number...

Comment

Originally posted by uuheels View Post
                Which state are you in?

In Qld you don't need any workshop involvement.
                Just drive it to the Dept of Trans and tell them what you want to do.
                They will give you the appropriate form, and an overweight woman will put on a hi-vis vest, grab a torch and waddle on out to the carpark to verify the number.
                You could write a number on masking tape stuck to the air cleaner and tell them that's the engine number.. They rarely know what they are looking at and will rely on you to show them the number...
                When I went in to update my engine number the stupid bitch wrote down the gearbox number instead. I corrected her and she argues that she's right. I told her all swift engine numbers start with g13b....not m..... She ended up writing down both numbers and once inside found out the the g13b as I told her was the right one.... Fucking retread. /csh

Comment

Originally posted by uuheels View Post
                  and an overweight woman will put on a hi-vis vest
                  Oh yeah and this pmsl.

Comment

Originally posted by mizone
                    Make sure you tell the insurance company. Mate got shafted because he forgot to tell them and had a major prang. Engine numbers didn't match so they reneg'd his claim.
                    Bullshit.
                    Originally posted by 350stato
                    100% agree with Shifty

Comment

I'm in the Perf, so no annual vehicle inspections, heck I've been driving around with a cage and harness for two years with no dramas.

Would just like to tie off this loose end.
                      2007 KTM 250 SX

Comment

Originally posted by Shifty View Post
                        Bullshit.
                        Ummm no bullshit. He had to declare bankruptcy.
                        Sent from my shed, trapped under a collapsed QuickJack, via Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by mizone View Post
                          Ummm no bullshit. He had to declare bankruptcy.
                          And you think this is over an engine number?

do you sell pitbull puppies, have shopping trolleys in your back yard, and don't do overtime as you get taxed more than you earn and it isn't worth it?
                          Originally posted by Bosshoggett
                          If your planing to drive this on the road and enjoy it, id suggest a second opinion, someone with a history in Australian Rally or Fink River . If your just playing dyno comps. Then ok

Comment

Thats a load of bullshit. I guarantee there is more to the story.

Comment

Your mate is full of shit and/or you are gullible.

An insurance company cannot deny a claim over a non-material fact such as an engine or rego number, provided that what it represents is correct (eg. wrong rego number OK if still registered, wrong engine number OK if its still the same type of engine).

If it was illegally modified to a different engine, and that contributed to the claim, then yeah sure. But engine number wrong? No dice brah.
                              Originally posted by 350stato
                              100% agree with Shifty

Comment

Working...
                              X