Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nurburgring track days - advice needed

Hi, I will be able to do the nurburgring in late July, early august. Just need tips on the best packages, and how to guide. Do they run open track days often? Any links or advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    NA8B 89KW- P.I. 1:50.1, WNTN1:38.0, SDWN 1:27.6, WKFLD 1:10.4
    NB8B 181KW- P.I 1:43.8, WNTN 1:32.9, SDWN 1:22.0, BDFD 1:05.3
    VP 293KW- P.I 1:43.8 WNTN 1:33.5

This thread Nurburgring... Sports car hire?.. Anyone done it?

The open days "Touristenfahrten" are listed on their website http://www.nuerburgring.de/

Best to go mid-week if you can, weekends are over-crowded and less fun IMHO
    Jaguar XJR, Freelander 2 HSE, Jaguar XKR, MINI Cooper S
    Originally posted by nutttr
    People must assume you are some sort of drug dealer with all these nice cars turning up to a fibro home

Comment

I used these guys, rented a 'stage 2' swift, and to be honest... that was plenty for me to have fun without any hairy moments (although it was raining, so that kept things slow enough to begin with)

http://www.rent4ring.de/en/

Good mob, had right hand drive cars too.
      Obligatory skid pic

Comment

theres different ways to get onto the ring

one is the so called "touristenfahrten" - tourist drives
        this is what 95% of people do

that runs generally from 4 or 5pm till 7pm weekdays. during the day theres usually some factory testing going on, or manufactuerer drive days etc. number of people who then drive the touristenfahrten in the evenings are then pretty small, and you get a quiet track.

on weekends, unless theres an event on, the touristenfahrten is open from 9 till 4 or so. this is when the epic numbers turn up, you get all the cool cars, and rich russions etc

http://www.nuerburgring.de/en/drives...dschleife.html

cost was (dunno what it is under new ownership) about EUR20-25 per lap

actual track days are few and far between. youll need to google whicg clubs are running what when. usually a couple of hundred EUR for a day, and includes use of the GP circuit

regarding cars, shop around. it depends what you want to drive. everyone has an opinion as to which car is best for first timers. i reckon any of the NA rwd beamers are a good bet. otehrs say the fwd swifts etc are just as fun and quick. *shrugs* horses for courses.

for a semi decent car, including insurance and fuel and lap ticket, count on EUR100 per lap

the drive is a complete sensory overload. dont expect to do lap after lap non stop. in an afternoon session of 2-3 hours, be happy with 4-6 laps max.
        Mit freundlichen Gre

Originally posted by Keith Duckworth
        "I think that in a racing engine, the closer it is to disintegrating, in general the better its performance will be "

Comment

Nurburgring track days - advice needed

I also went with Rent4Ring (BRZ). A+

Dale offered me a track day package, as below:
          "Open pit lane, unlimited lapping for 519 per entry sticker. We could do you a basic rental of the BRZ for 649, or a Swift for 399. It's a lot more money, but it's a lot more time on track too. Just a thought!" So that's entry sticker + car cost = about 1k

First time I went a few years back was with RSR - they were great and Ron is a legend. Smashing beers with him afterwards getting a first hand account of what the Ferrari FXX is like around the Ring while a Zonda R sets a lap record 150m behind you is kinda memorable.

Touristenfahrten is the obvious answer, but I would recommend the track day with some instruction. You'll get much more out of it - a weekday TF is incredible but it's all over too quickly. Email dale from rent4ring and ask him dates.

Comment

Originally posted by break View Post
            I used these guys, rented a 'stage 2' swift, and to be honest... that was plenty for me to have fun without any hairy moments (although it was raining, so that kept things slow enough to begin with)

http://www.rent4ring.de/en/

Good mob, had right hand drive cars too.
            Did exactly this, excellent half day, track was wet on ne half.
            Watch Eis Corners, you will come into that way to quick first time.

For somewhere very nce to stay, shoot down to Cochem, on the Moselle.
            if you get this far after reading the above, good on you!
            If i make spelling mistakes, syntax errors, or just mss letters in words, it is because i am lw vision/vision impaired.
            Dont drive or race no more. Bit of a cunt of a thing.
            I cant see what keys my fingers hit when i type.
            Its called Cone and Rod Dystrophy, un fixable, i get worse, its a hereditary cunt f a thing.

Comment

Originally posted by tremolo View Post
              So that's entry sticker + car cost = about €1k.
              easy to blow 1k on touristenfahrten laps - car dependant youre looking at 100 per lap, so 10 laps. 10 laps you can do over 2 afternoon sessions, so a track day is a pretty good financial option. problem is, theres not heaps on offer - ring around/search the web for clubs, see what might be planned during your time window.

even if there was a track day, id probably still recommend doing an afternoon session the day before (in whatever car) - knock over a few orientation laps. your head will be full afterwards, and a break before starting the track day will allow you to process the track in your head a bit, and youll get more out of the track day.
              Mit freundlichen Gre

"I think that in a racing engine, the closer it is to disintegrating, in general the better its performance will be "

Comment

Thanks for that, will look into it.
                I found this site http://www.nuerburgring.de/en/events...nts-dates.html

They have a driver training day for €995 on the 27th, and there is an old timer race on the 6th I think that looks like it would be worth watching.
                Would prefer a RWD car if I can afford it. Handy to know that the track is open most afternoons. Might stay there a few days, send nopics off for girly stuff. Just cut laps till I run out of money. Not like I go very often...

Comment

not a lot of girly stuff to do - its really the middle of nowhere

a few cute towns and old castles in the neighbouring regions, but theyre worth seeing yourself too
                  Mit freundlichen Gre

Comment

She can stay in another country even. I am sure she won't be missed while I am there.

Comment

Do the track day as Trem and others have said. Ring / email the car hire joints, they will tell you when track days are on. I'd start with a scirroco, they are a good jigger for learning the track if you are half handy and will be going quick enough everywhere to keep you interested. (Except maybe the climb to the karrousel)
                      Originally posted by thebluerx7
                      The fact they want to ban cash makes me want to go out and use it full time again now .

Comment

my wife was happy to dag about on the days we did it.

I used www.retracecar.de.

I highly recomend them, and the sighting lap you get with the company owner is possibly the fastest lap you'll do. (as well as being invaluable in terms of advise on lines etc)
                        .... because every driver experiences the destructive potential of the effortless surge of power available through the smallest of body movements.

Dr Hoon

DrNick is king!!!! No, Mark Webber is now! Long live the king!... hold on a minute mate, Ricci is in charge now

Comment

Things to do near Nurburgring

http://burg-eltz.de/en.html
                          Cochem
                          Trier

The road from Nurburgring to Cochem via Landkern is awesome
                          Attached Files

Comment

is the track closed in the winter months? im going to germany over christmas this year
                            1988 AW11 9A-GTE - project #1 | 1984 MA61 1JZ-GTE - project #2

Originally posted by Walt Kowalski talking like a crazed hobo
                            The major arrests will start from 1st January 2019.

Comment

nope, but if its icy theyll shut it without notice. long way to go to to get there on the day(s) only to find they close it 2hrs before its due to open
                              Mit freundlichen Gre

Comment

Working...
                              X