Doing some stupid shit to an old datsun head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yup, E85, datsport intake & 45mm TB's.

It seemed to me that the head bolt holes would be better off about 2mm further away from the manifold face, so that the head sits off to the side about 2mm & get the intakes valves closer to centred in the chamber at full lift.
    You'll notice I welded up some of the water jacket holes on one side, that's to allow the head to move over on the block a bit.

I started offsetting the head bolts holes in the mill with a core drill, but it wasn't going to work - too much flex in the drill, so I ended up just doing it by hand with my grinder, not the prettiest job, but hey, it'll work:

Next up I gotta finish stripping down the short motor (needs a freshen anyway) so I can sit the head on & mark out the bore onto the head.

Comment

Got the short pulled down & the head dummied on the block, you can see how much I've moved the head over:

Head face scribed with bore locations, you can see the offset in the welds:

Comment

You fucking what?

Click image for larger version

Name:	one.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	6594017

Name:	two.jpg
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	6594019

Name:	three.JPG
Size:	13.9 KB
ID:	6594018

Your raw talent astounds me mate, top work!
        Originally posted by Bosshoggett
        If your planing to drive this on the road and enjoy it, id suggest a second opinion, someone with a history in Australian Rally or Fink River . If your just playing dyno comps. Then ok

Comment

Sub-fucking-scribed.

Comment

Subscribed x11tybillion, my L18 is green with envy.

Comment

has the owner talked to you about offset crank grind destroking the other motor a little TK?
              E36 M3 12.92 @ 108.64mph, N/A 3.0L

Comment

U at work tomorrow? I'll get the closed deck 25 dropped off.
                3D scanning
                3D modelling
                Structural certification
                3 and 5 axis milling

Comment

Allan - yep, but if I can crank this L up hard enough the other donk may get sidelined for a bit.

Alex - cheers, haven't had the chance to grab it yet, the hurry on it backed off a little but gotta look at it soon

Comment

VQ35 Parts are here from Jim Wolf, ITBs are with Customs so you should see them all next week Tony.
                    GURU ENGINEERING PTY LTD

Comment

Subscription.
                      Originally posted by lickmyleftone
                      I'd do things to her that Tripper hasn't seen.
                      As seen on Tinder : "If a Vegan does Crossfit, which one do they mention to you first?"

Comment

Fucking Awesome!
                        Originally posted by S
                        I just want to apologise for some of my shit talking back around page 5.

Comment

Amazing that such a thing is done, and who thinks up doing this kind of work on a head. I thought a cnc routed head was cool, but this is better.
                          Look forward to seeing the big torque figures. Do you have power figures for a similar combo motor build with more conventional head? So you can compare to this head.
                          NA8B 89KW- P.I. 1:50.1, WNTN1:38.0, SDWN 1:27.6, WKFLD 1:10.4
                          NB8B 181KW- P.I 1:43.8, WNTN 1:32.9, SDWN 1:22.0, BDFD 1:05.3
                          VP 293KW- P.I 1:43.8 WNTN 1:33.5

Comment

with the head bolt holes what about using offset hollow dowel/bush type things (thinking like a camber adjustment bush thing) or wont matter enough to go to that length?
                            the amount of information you give away on here astounds me, I guess people would need to put talent together with information to be competitive with you however it is still unusual to see this level of openness

Comment

Looks like a TK vs Munyard challenge. Looking forward to seeing the results.
                              Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Comment

TK, when you were welding the head, what sort of amps were you using?

I daresay most 200a welders wouldn't be up to the job without lots of preheat and a watercooled torch?

Comment

Working...
                                X