Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rdyno
    replied
    So if I ported constantly for 3 years at work I would be pretty good......

Leave a comment:

• I'm DJ!
    replied
    Sensational, dare I ask for vids?

Leave a comment:

• Gassed250
    replied
    that's one stout little L

Leave a comment:

• sssgtr
    replied
    Must sound absolutely tits. /hat tip

Leave a comment:

• TK
    replied
    Ok, got some audible valve float at just under 8000rpm, so we're at 237hp @ 7250rpm for now.

Motor is off the dyno - gotta make it to a race meet this weekend, so time is up!

Down the track we'll shim the valve springs some more & do before & after runs on a chassis dyno to verify results, from there we can tweak the intake runner length to suit the engine a little better - I was expecting peak closer to 8000, so the trumpets are a bit short for the motor as it sits, can't be sure until valve springs are sorted tho.

I reckon she's got 250hp in her, will just take a little tweaking & coaxing.

I'll put up more numbers tomorrow, gotta bolt now.

Leave a comment:

• MRMOPARMAN
    replied
    My favorite TK thread is still the isuzu bellet head 'reco', however this one comes close.

Cant wait to see what mini head is capable of when I eventually feed tony some money, and grab a number and wait in line

Leave a comment:

• fnlow
    replied
    Love your work TK.

Someone told me once it takes 10,000 hours of doing/ practice to become an expert at something.... sounds like you are well ahead of time!

Leave a comment:

• Supercrown
    replied
    Originally posted by 9triton View Post

increasing volumentric efficency also lowers advance requirements
    Cool. Figured the denser charge would have to increase burn speed.

Hey tony, if you gave this more cam could you get it to power out to 8.5krpm +, or would it be into the diminishing returns zone? (I guess as this is a roundy roundy engine it needs a solid under curve area though)

Leave a comment:

• morerevsm3
    replied
    makes my guess of 178kw pretty close

Leave a comment:

• Gammaboy
    replied
    ~240hp from 2 litres is pretty solid, and not exactly screaming it either!

Leave a comment:

• 9triton
    replied
    Originally posted by Supercrown View Post
    Just curious about the reduction in ignition advance requirement.

Is all of it attributable to the chamber shape, or can a compression increase be responsible for some of the reduction?

increasing volumentric efficency also lowers advance requirements

Leave a comment:

• uuheels
    replied
    Wow, excellent work.

Leave a comment:

• TK
    replied
    Still waiting on more numbers, but 237hp @ 7250 = 116% VE, getn er done!

Leave a comment:

• TK
    replied
    LOL, cheers man, see you Saturday!

PS - figuring from # of port jobs done & average hours per job I figure I've spent about 8000 hrs on the grinder......

Leave a comment:

• Supercrown
    replied
    Hey tony, has the compression gone up from what it was previously?

It's 14:1 now - before was?

Just curious about the reduction in ignition advance requirement.

Is all of it attributable to the chamber shape, or can a compression increase be responsible for some of the reduction?

The head for this motor looked fantastic in person. The pictures really don't do it justice.

One of the most impressive of Tks skills is his fine motor control and repeatability when doing the grinder work on ports and chambers.

Anyone can learn to set up a mill, tip grind a valve, cut seats, put stuff in a lathe, use a torque wench etc etc. The difference with the hand working he does is that it has literally taken hundreds or maybe thousands of hours to have developed the fine motor control to where it is now.

Where i have noticed it most is not so much his ability to make a single port or chamber nice, but the ability to do one to the shape dictated by the flowbench and then proceed to copy that across the remaining 3, 5, 7 cylinders. He does this without anything more than a set of simple point feelers to spot check port width here and there and a junk pushrod to check that a wall is flat - (Which it usually is to within less than a mm already).

The big cathedral ports on the ls heads are where his ability to get them totally flat is crazy. I use his grinder and his cutters, but anytime i try to get something flat it ends up looking like the surface of the moon. Plus he's usually come over for a look and laugh at me as i feather the throttle like a 7yo on a trailbike.

In addition he'll also do stuff that nobody else will. Case in point was a split bore in a 2004 or so m3 block.

Whilst i was there last year incomptently using his machines to make some crown parts, i watched him patch the big vertical crack with 'stitching plugs' (which i'd never even heard of before), then order the sleeve.

As the sleeves themselves apparently vary in diameter he couldn't set the boring machine up to get the 2thou clearance until he'd measured it. Once the sleeve rocked up he measured it and from there he bored it out, and then jammed the sleeve in.

That was all good, but it was then evident that the adjacent bore was also cracked, so the process was repeated again. I was able to assist with some hammer blows as that's all he would let me do lol.

Of course 10+ stiching plugs in two adjacent bores and two sleeves belted in meant that the okay bores adjacent are now out of round as well, so all 6 bores were then given a final 0.5 mm overbore.

Finally, to combat future cracking the block was then given a partial grout fill.

From memory this took a day and a bit, but no longer than that. I did help, but my half a dozen hammer blows and dodgey plastic funnel for getting the grout in was the grand extent of it.

I've been fucking around with cars since i was 15 - which is 25 years now, but i regularly see Tk doing stuff that I've either never seen in person or never even heard of before. Whilst there are blokes on here that have seen it or done it, they are very few in number and generally in their 40s at minimum. Sadly as well there are virtually no young people learning this stuff.

END WALL OF TEXT

Cliffs
    SUPERCROWN 4 TK 4 EVA

Leave a comment:

Working...
X