Doing some stupid shit to an old datsun head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awesome stuff.

Has anyone else ever offset the head on one of these TK, or is it all new territory? Have you done it to any other engines in the past?

Comment

Originally posted by Supashake View Post
      VQ35 Parts are here from Jim Wolf, ITBs are with Customs so you should see them all next week Tony.
      What are you up to now, please explain.
      Richard's DatsunZ lappin LakesidZ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47OSh...&feature=g-upl

Comment

Looks like a TK vs Munyard challenge. Looking forward to seeing the results.
        Not at all, I was talking to Mark yesterday about cam lobe centres etc.
        2 different types of beast, Marks engines are rally - they need a stronger TQ curve coming in earlier, circuit stuff can use more rpm & be peakier.

TK, when you were welding the head, what sort of amps were you using?

I daresay most 200a welders wouldn't be up to the job without lots of preheat and a watercooled torch?
        I have an accutig 300 - 300A capable & 100% duty cycle with water cooled torch etc.
        Depending on the area I was using between 130 - 220A, it could be done with a 200A machine, but only just.

Comment

Great to see that there is no secret squirrel bullshit with you TK, outstanding.
          Richard's DatsunZ lappin LakesidZ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47OSh...&feature=g-upl

Comment

In. Fucking amazing tk.
            Originally posted by thebluerx7
            The fact they want to ban cash makes me want to go out and use it full time again now .

Comment

Great to see that there is no secret squirrel bullshit with you TK, outstanding.
              The chamber design will be the secret squirrel stuff, but I'll post it up anyway, along with an explanation of how/why it works.
              I've drawn from the knowledge of others on many occasions, you can't learn all this stuff on your own, there is far more than a lifetimes knowledge to obtain - may as well pass on what I can.

Comment

Brilliant. Subscribed.
                Originally posted by Dimi
                80mm of penetration isn't bad, i wish i had that much.
                Originally posted by schnitzelburger
                My entire working career pretty much consists of suckin dick and takin names.

Sometimes im too busy to take names.

Comment

Originally posted by TK View Post
                  The chamber design will be the secret squirrel stuff, but I'll post it up anyway, along with an explanation of how/why it works.
                  I've drawn from the knowledge of others on many occasions, you can't learn all this stuff on your own, there is far more than a lifetimes knowledge to obtain - may as well pass on what I can.
                  That's a fucking great attitude!

A good friend of mine once said, "Once you're dead, everything you ever learned is lost, so you may as well try and teach someone rather than hoard it all"

Thanks for sharing.

Ever fucked around with spark plug location?

Comment

I wouldn't be where I am without the help of guys like Peter Schaeffer, Peter Michaels, Bill Hanson, Bob Sherry etc.
                    Nor would I be here without the information posted online by yanks like Darin Morgan, Chad Spiers etc.

I'm just passing it forward, just like they did, it's only fair.

Comment

Could you explain in simple terms re the head offset and the reasoning behind it?

Comment

This forum needs a big fuck off like button, for threads like this and the attitude. Love the work TK, will be watching with interest.

Comment

Originally posted by TK View Post
                          I imagine it's going to be similar to the good Chevy chambers but with a different valve angle?
                          How far out of alignment is the cam pulley going to be?

Looks interesting.

Comment

Just got valve guides & seat inserts, I'll dig up some dummy valves to use for seat cutting etc until the good ones arrive.

Spent the morning cleaning up all the bits of the rest of the motor, honing bores, organising bits etc, so that'll be all ready to go when the head is done.

Bill - cam pulley is no problem, you can move the chain guides around a bit in these things & it's only a 2mm shift, so no problem there.

Comment

Subscribed (obviously)
                              Japanese Nostalgic Car - Dedicated to classic japanese cars

Comment

I have very little idea of what is going on here, but I'll say that I wish I had a poofteenth of the amount of talent in my whole body that you have stored just in your little toe. FMD, I think Tim Allen's classic line of "So I rewired it!" applies to you mate!

| 1963 RK43 Toyota Lite-Stout (Stanley) | 2002 EC5W Mitsubishi Legnum VR-4 Type-S (Larry) |

Comment

Working...
                                X