Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TK
    replied
    Currently at 237hp @ 7250rpm, still tuning.

Leave a comment:

• Lurch
    replied
    Lots of MGB owners are using them too - becoming very popular.
    I might look at one for the Bugeye...

Originally posted by Gammaboy View Post
    There's a few guys using them over on the Alfa forums - they love them, and I'm > < this far off pulling the trigger on one.
    Spendy? compared to a flogged out stocker that needs rebuilding and can only be curved to what the bobweights and springs can let you do? sure.
    Compared to other fully programmable options?

Leave a comment:

• Gammaboy
    replied
    There's a few guys using them over on the Alfa forums - they love them, and I'm > < this far off pulling the trigger on one.
    Spendy? compared to a flogged out stocker that needs rebuilding and can only be curved to what the bobweights and springs can let you do? sure.
    Compared to other fully programmable options?

Leave a comment:

• Xnke
    replied
    At 650$ US, the 123 dizzy is spendy. I can't find a single person using it on the Datsun, though the US distributor seemed keen to try selling them on Hybridz.

Leave a comment:

• Gammaboy
    replied
    Originally posted by Babalouie View Post
    Current setup is Hall effect electronic dizzy, recurved by Stewart Wilkins (14deg mech advance all in by 2700)...the locked-timing one is a nice Kameari Engine Works one that is optical tho
    These guys do a USB programmable unit (it's all inside the dizzy) - by playing some tricks with the ignition timing around idle you can stabilise the idle during warmup.
    http://www.123ignition.nl/products.php

They don't list nissan/datsun, but an email is free - modifying one of the other 6cyl units might get you there.

Leave a comment:

• Babalouie
    replied
    Doing some stupid shit to an old datsun head

Originally posted by Billzilla View Post
    Put something like a proper optical ignition kit into it. Full mechanical advance and maybe vacuum as well. It'll look exactly the same from outside and work a hell of a lot better.
    Current setup is Hall effect electronic dizzy, recurved by Stewart Wilkins (14deg mech advance all in by 2700)...the locked-timing one is a nice Kameari Engine Works one that is optical tho

Leave a comment:

• Billzilla
    replied
    Good point...MSD do make a box that 'tards the ignition 10deg during cranking tho
    Put something like a proper optical ignition kit into it. Full mechanical advance and maybe vacuum as well. It'll look exactly the same from outside and work a hell of a lot better.

Leave a comment:

• Babalouie
    replied
    Good point...MSD do make a box that 'tards the ignition 10deg during cranking tho

Leave a comment:

• MRMOPARMAN
    replied
    Hmm...if I hear some ping at 28, I'm now thinking maybe I dial it back a little further, from 26 to say 25 or 24.

That would probably to too little advance at the bottom end, but I do have a locked-timing distributor I could use. Then it'd be 24BTDC all day.
    She would struggle to turn over with 24btdc when trying to start I reckon.

Leave a comment:

• Babalouie
    replied
    Originally posted by TK View Post
    Yup, if you're gonna get ping you'll get it 1st around peak torque, be carefull, if you can hear it it's more than a little ping!
    Hmm...if I hear some ping at 28, I'm now thinking maybe I dial it back a little further, from 26 to say 25 or 24.

That would probably to too little advance at the bottom end, but I do have a locked-timing distributor I could use. Then it'd be 24BTDC all day.

Leave a comment:

• hoffman900
    replied
    Tony,

I've seen similar modifications go from 36* of ignition advance to 27-28* (same size bore and fuel type).

The nice part about this stuff, is that if you are so inclined, you don't have to rev the engine higher to make a ton more power. Mods like this improve the efficiency of both the ports and the combustion process. It's a win-win all around.

Leave a comment:

• dat2kman
    replied
    What brand oil pump was it that exerted pressure on the drive spindle that then rooted the crank drive gear?

Leave a comment:

• 260BC
    replied
    Thanks all who contributed for the interesting discussion on ignition advance and timing and the relevant theory. Learnt something.

Leave a comment:

• TK
    replied
    Yup, if you're gonna get ping you'll get it 1st around peak torque, be carefull, if you can hear it it's more than a little ping!

Front cover sourced, cleaned up, milled to height & painted, all the other little bits came out of a spare engine (that had a dead front cover, doh), so everything is ready to go back together in the morning.

I can't get down there tho, got a very large pile of work that needs to be done yesterday, so I'll just have to keep in touch by phone.

Leave a comment:

• Babalouie
    replied
    Originally posted by TK View Post
    Yup, stock head needed 36 deg on avgas with 12:1 comp, this looks like it's going to end up at around 26 deg at 13.5:1 with a slower burning fuel.
    So likely around 10 deg less ignition timing required with a slower burning fuel - that's a very good thing.
    That's interesting, I'm running 26 on your motor in the Hako too. Any more and I hear a wee bit of ping in the mid range.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X