Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm DJ!
    replied
    Power is impressive, bad luck on the pump, good that nothing serious is broken!

Leave a comment:

• Captiva Fan
    replied
    "Old Datsun head" = 260GLE?

Leave a comment:

• sssgtr
    replied
    One word = Winning!

Looking forward to seeing what i'll do once the oil pump is sorted.

Leave a comment:

• TK
    replied
    PS - 184hp @ 6000rpm = 113% VE & we ain't even in to the intake runner tuned length zone yet..........

Leave a comment:

• sssgtr
    replied
    Damn, that's shitty luck.

Leave a comment:

• TK
    replied
    Well, clean bill of health on the motor - other than the fucking oil pump.

Got the head gasket about 1, headed to Bills & screwed the head back on, got it fired up about 3, got part way though some mapping etc when smoke started coming out the breathers.
    WTF's were said, pulled it back to idle & fucking bang - the oil/fuel vapour in the sump ignited with an almightly bang.

We thought it'd hurt something - plugs out, comp test - all good, 195-200psi on all 4, plugs looked good, cranked it to fire it again & no fire, traced it to having no pulse for #1.
    The dissy is just used to tell the ecu when she's on #1, so we pulled the blanking cap off - dissy no spin. Pull the dissy out - shaft no spin. Oil pump off - drive gear has lost most of it's teeth.

Best we can figure the centre shaft in the new oil pump is too long, it's been pushing the shaft up hard into the bottom of the lug where the shaft runs in the front cover, the heat from that has burned the oil off the gear & the gear has overheated & come apart.
    The explosion was the heat from the gear (it had gone past blue to silver hot) igniting crankcase gasses - happened coming back to idle as windage etc was keeping the flames under control (that was the smoke from the breathers), as it came back to idle the windage dropped & fucking wham.

It took out the front cover, oil pump drive shaft, pump drive gear on the crank & put metal all through the front cover.

On the bright side the motor itself is fine.

Owner is chasing up another front cover, drive gear & drive shaft right now, I've got the sump etc off for a clean.
    I'll have to mill the new front cover to the same height as the now munted one, it'll go back together in the morning & we'll use the old, slightly beat up oil pump coz we know the fucking shaft in that one is not too fucking long.

During mapping we did see 184hp @ 6000rpm on 24 deg timing tho - so looking good once it's back together (again).

Leave a comment:

• sssgtr
    replied

Leave a comment:

• TK
    replied
    Slower burning fuels do need more advance, hence it's impressive that we're back at 30 deg & it's into det - shows how much faster this chamber is burning compared to a stock one.

Tune for the timing the motor wants, more/less is not necessarily better, just find the sweet spot.

Leave a comment:

• Nad015
    replied
    I thought a slower burning fuel would want more advance, to spark it earlier because of the slow burn??
    My l20b on e85 I have the timing set at 36 deg total and it's not pinging but I only have 11.2-1 comp(pings badly with 98+octane booster) I couldn't even run any advance at idle 0 deg.

Would I be better running less advance with the e85?? Sorry if thats to off topic

Leave a comment:

• TK
    replied
    Yup, stock head needed 36 deg on avgas with 12:1 comp, this looks like it's going to end up at around 26 deg at 13.5:1 with a slower burning fuel.
    So likely around 10 deg less ignition timing required with a slower burning fuel - that's a very good thing.

Leave a comment:

• BigMuz
    replied
    Timing is an indication of how slow and poor the burn is.

Leave a comment:

• GSRman
    replied
    pinging on E85? really?

Leave a comment:

• awdmoke
    replied
    Originally posted by Lurch View Post
    All that work & no ARP head studs?!
    love the left field thinking as well as the art shown in the porting.
    hoping for nice numbers from this.

Leave a comment:

• TK
    replied
    PS - won't be rwhp, it's on Billy Hansons engine dyno, no guesswork.

Leave a comment:

• fly510
    replied
    Originally posted by Supashake View Post
    I think 185rwhp and much stronger mid range than an SR20DE.
    I agree on both accounts. I reckon 190rwhp at best.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X