No announcement yet.

Doing some stupid shit to an old datsun head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, done 1 whole cylinder, took a little while to nut out the shapes I wanted, expecially on the exhaust side.
    The exhausts on these things are the real problem, abrupt short turn & not much you can do. So rather than try to perform a miracle I instead concentrated on unloading the turn as much as possible - I threw away all the existing info & port designs & started from scratch with the focus being on getting the correct cross sections in the correct areas, getting the port to taper out as required & unloading the turn.
    Intake is also a little different to what I've done in the past, the new chamber shape allows for a more aggressive short turn, which in turn allows for more flare after the miminum cross section just before the guide.
    I've gone for a 40mm port at the min cross section, the port tapers down to 40mm (or 1.9^") from around 42mm at the head face, then flares back out.

Comment

amazing work!

Originally posted by TK View Post
      With a 4 valve pentroof head swirl is almost non-existant, if you can promote a little swirl it's a good thing.
      getting a bit off topic but quick question: have you had much luck fitting one oversized inlet valve per cylinder to a 4 valve head to do this?

Comment

I still find it hard to believe that you do all of this work by hand TK. Its beautiful craftsmanship combined with science

Comment

Never tried it!

Just CC'd the chamber - 39cc, won't be accurate coz I'm just using the dummy valves, but will be close.
          That'd give 11.5:1 comp as it sits, going to have to mill it down a bit - which is a pity, I'd like to keep the valves as deep in the chamber as possible, but it is what it is.
          As it sits the highest part of the intake seat is about 5mm below the surface of the head, I reckon I'll need to take about 2mm off the head, so I'll still have a minimum depth of 3mm - which is ok.

Comment

Originally posted by Rdyno
            70ynu has to be the most retarded cunt here. "Help me please" me "you need to remove your head" him "fuck off cunt I'm to lazy fuck off out of my thread you told me to do something I don't want to do so you're a cunt fuck off can some one please tell me an easier way???"
            Originally posted by Tripper
            Its a tight battle between you and rogercordia for the most retarded member on here, thou i think you have it by 5 window licks

Comment

37cc chambers, in background 53cc chambers. Both heads at stock height.
              Can take up to 4mm off but not using stock timing chain guides or tensioner.
              Attached Files
              if you get this far after reading the above, good on you!
              If i make spelling mistakes, syntax errors, or just mss letters in words, it is because i am lw vision/vision impaired.
              Dont drive or race no more. Bit of a cunt of a thing.
              I cant see what keys my fingers hit when i type.
              Its called Cone and Rod Dystrophy, un fixable, i get worse, its a hereditary cunt f a thing.

Comment

With a 4 valve pentroof head swirl is almost non-existant, if you can promote a little swirl it's a good thing.
                But we're talking inline 2V heads here, due to the intake valve sitting against the side of the bore there is always plenty of swirl, more than you want.
                Better that energy is used to keep the charge following the piston down the bore, rather than swirling around at the top of the bore & impeding incoming charge.
                That makes perfect sense, diverting energy away from getting air into the chamber makes no sense, love it.
                Richard's DatsunZ lappin LakesidZ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47OSh...&feature=g-upl

Comment

That's awesome but you made the first one too good and now you can't cut any corners :D

Also holy fuck your photography has come a long way!

Comment

Man those ports are opened up a metric fuckload. Was going to ask about the deep chamber and comp but you answered.

Fairly thick castings
                    Originally posted by 50RTD
                    Dave, have you uploaded the data from the carby?

Comment

Originally posted by Roadsailing View Post
                      getting a bit off topic but quick question: have you had much luck fitting one oversized inlet valve per cylinder to a 4 valve head to do this?
                      Never tried it!
                      FWIW Repco-Brabham tried all that in the late 60's. They found that the same size valves opening at the same time and rate worked best. Things may be a bit different now but I suspect not.
                      The David Vizard Polyquad is worth having a bit of a look at as well. http://www.motortecmagazine.net/article.asp?AID=1&AP=1

The pressure recovery thing is why other reason why I like the 7AFE heads over the 4AGE heads, as the chamber shape lets you do a bit of that and still keep reasonable squish areas.

BTW, TK, I did work out how to make lots of swirl in a 4V head, but it probably wouldn't work.
                      http://performanceforums.com/forums/...-it-won-t-work

Comment

Originally posted by Billzilla View Post
                        FWIW Repco-Brabham tried all that in the late 60's. They found that the same size valves opening at the same time and rate worked best. Things may be a bit different now but I suspect not.
                        I was having a poke around a mate's B16 Civic motor and it looks like they stagger the inlet valves at low revs, then join them all together as the revs come up.
                        Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Comment

Amazing! When doing it all by hand, how to go about making each of the chambers/ports the same?

Comment

Originally posted by Benonymous View Post
                            WAA??? Swirl is bad??

So Suzuki twin swirl was all bullshit? Dissapoint....
                            hmm probably marketing hype misnomer- what that pic shows is 'tumble'- which 4 v lend themselves to .

Comment

Happy to admit I have no fucking idea what any of you guys are in about but that looks amazing TK
                              Shame such a beautiful piece of craftsmanship and science gets hidden and never seen.

Comment

Jesus that looks better than a right fit tinder chick asking for a right banging

Actually maybe not but fuck it goes close

Comment

Working...
                                X