Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just rolled in to the shop...

Every time I see something unusual at work I think about starting a thread and never do, usually cause I forget to take a picture. Not just cars coming in with a blown diff or tyres with the belts coming out; stuff you don't see every day. There's enough guys on here in the industry, so post up something I haven't seen!

I'll kick it off with one that came in today:

Customer came in with an S15 blowing tonnes of smoke, says he just changed the turbo. Knowing the guy I assumed he bought a stuffed turbo off gumtree and got hustled, but he assures me it came off his friends car and was fine.
    Had a look under the car and saw the drain pipe CAKED in silastic. Easy; hole's blocked. Took the drain off and turns out old mate had a go at making his own gasket:

Comment

Fail!

Comment

:rotflol:

The best ones are engine/gearbox "conversions" by "workshops" usually sporting multiple points on contact on/off throttle in the engine way with high idle/no closed loop and smokey microtech tune.

Or guys with skyline/180/300zx who "backed into a curb parking" with completely fucked rear wheel/subframe/control arms.

Comment

Mates farm ute was running like shit and blowing black smoke. Found a rat had made a nest in the air box using the filter paper and fark nows what else. Few of the baby where still alive but farking awfull mess to fix.

CSH
          Mmmmmmmmm beer.

Originally posted by ALLMTR
          You had one fucking job, Imran. One. Now look, there's Flibberty Gibbets all up in here, seeing straight through your ruse. One. Fucking. Job!

Comment

I got some pearlers because I used to do insurance work.

Excel towed in because it wouldnt start. I had done a timing belt on it a week prior. At the same time its getting unloaded I get a call from the father of the young girl who owns it hurling some pretty serious abuse and making some decent threats. Stick my head in window and the thing is still in drive (even after towie loaded it up). For some reason the father is difficult to get a hold of after that. Fuckwit.

Had a middle eastern type guy come in with a late 90's Audi A4 asking for a wheel alignment because it doesnt feel right. He has been to the other 2 local shops that do alignments and they have sent him away and is unsure why. Sure thing mate, Ill get it done. Im on the drivers side of the car taking his details and thought Id have a quick peek at the LH tyres to see how they are wearing. The fucking car has been T boned at 10000km/h and the LH rear wheel has been pushed hard under the car, literally sitting on a 45 degree angle. Handbrake cable and brake flex line ripped clean out, claims he had no idea what happened. Lol.

Two gay dudes bring in a Freelander (thats a given, yeah?) thats smoking quite bad. They put about 15L of coolant into the crankcase. Good lol that one.

Had a broken down VS Senator in the driveway for a couple days. Checked it out and fuel pump is dead, customer is in no hurry. Couple days after I checked it out I turn up to work nice and early and the VS is down the end of the street in the loading zone. I didnt think much of it, we park cars there every day, I assumed my uncle or one of my cousins got in early and did the pump already. Later that day my uncle asks where the Senator is, after a bit of confusion we realise none of us moved it there. Quick scan of CCTV finds a couple boongs got in it, tried clutch starting it down the steep driveway, went and got a new battery and jumper leads and still couldnt get it going and left the new battery and leads inside the car. Thanks cunts, needed a new set.

I could go all day.

Comment

Originally posted by Terribleone View Post
              Had a broken down VS Senator in the driveway for a couple days. Checked it out and fuel pump is dead, customer is in no hurry. Couple days after I checked it out I turn up to work nice and early and the VS is down the end of the street in the loading zone. I didnt think much of it, we park cars there every day, I assumed my uncle or one of my cousins got in early and did the pump already. Later that day my uncle asks where the Senator is, after a bit of confusion we realise none of us moved it there. Quick scan of CCTV finds a couple boongs got in it, tried clutch starting it down the steep driveway, went and got a new battery and jumper leads and still couldnt get it going and left the new battery and leads inside the car. Thanks cunts, needed a new set.
              Gold.

Great stories keep them coming.

Comment

Originally posted by Terribleone View Post

I could go all day.
                Please do.

Comment

Yeah man! Very entertaining let's hear more
                  “Buy the ticket, take the ride.’”
                  ― Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Whats wrong with fucked diff's?

Was running sweet as a nut, noise was considered normal

Found the nut sitting in the intake to the turbo, genuinely surprised, not that it blew up, BW turbos are fucking rubbish

Comment

Classic at my old tyre shop I was at,

They fit a set of new tyres to newish commo, owners of shop checks wheel nuts , pressure set etc and car is picked up.

Phone call two hours later and a very unhappy owner saying son was driving the car and the drivers side front wheel fell off and the car smashed into gutter and park fence. Police involved and car is inspected, they agree the wheel is not attached to the car anymore but the most of the hub is missing from the impact and wheel can't be found.

My boss is 100% he tightened the wheel and being an old bugger won't let this go, after work he goes to the scene of the accident looking for the missing wheel, spent 3 hours looking and is about to try again the next day when he heads to the creek ( 100m ) away and wades through knee deep water and spots the wheel with the wheel nuts still attached to the studs...........
                      Sandown 1.23.31
                      Calder 1.05.76
                      Phillip Island 1.47.95
                      Winton 1.33.30
                      H/Hills hill climb 1.03.3(FG XR6T)
                      Bathurst 2.47.49

Comment

Originally posted by dnegative View Post
                        Found the nut sitting in the intake to the turbo, genuinely surprised, not that it blew up, BW turbos are fucking rubbish
                        I've got two identical Garretts sitting on my bench right now with the impeller messed up due to the nut coming off. Long fucking story, apparently oil supply issue .

Comment

This one had about 8L in the intercooler and its the probably the 10th I've done.

Comment

I'm not going to post any pics because it will id the car & workshop(s) involved.

Customer gets me to go into his shop today to see if I can find where the fuel smell in the boot is coming from, in a merc circuit car that the end user has spent over $300k on & been to about 4 different shops.

Car has had the fire bomb system wood screwed into the floor
                            Couldnt be bothered ordering correct length springs for the coil overs, lets just get some 3 inch tall springs and throw them on top of the current springs.
                            Cage tubing is welded, but the floor plates are merely sikaflexed/drip checked into the floor.
                            One tyre has managed to rub the powder coating off the spring & the annodising off the spring adjuster, 2 tyre blowouts on turn 1 at EC & the last shop couldnt figure out why!
                            Instead of fitting one proper oil cooler, lets just add 2 small ones in series & with no ducting or any protection between the tyre & oil coolers.
                            When making changes, instead of making new AN lines, just use female - female adaptors everywhere & extend them.
                            Monster wing attached to boot that has all of 1 inch of weld on each arm
                            FIA cert fuel cell in the boot, but who needs gaskets or even a proper vent outside the car

Comment

Fuckin hell!

Comment

Working...
                              X