Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just rolled in to the shop...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by BigJonWB View Post

    You sure it is the same thing? Subaru O2 sensors are really expensive for genuine. Also really expensive for NTK. A $50 one is likely to be a piece of shit.
    To be honest, no. Whilst somewhat knowledgeable about cars FIL is by no means an expert (or close too). But $500 for an O2 sensor is insane. I’ll take my risks with an eBay one as the car is only worth $5k. The only issue it causes is the cruise control won’t work because of it (according to the dealer).

    Comment


      $50 O2 sensor off eBay, better off with the broken one lol It will be a guaranteed fake.

      Comment


        Originally posted by dnegative View Post
        $50 O2 sensor off eBay, better off with the broken one lol It will be a guaranteed fake.
        Thanks. Will look into it more.

        On the same subject has anyone heard of ‘fake’ oxygen sensors that are some sort of platinum insert which can fool the system?

        Comment


          Originally posted by mizone View Post

          Seriously fuck off.

          I would get my old Liberty GT parts out of a dealer in the US (cos my Japanese is non existant) and it would be hundreds of dollars cheaper after being air freighted to Perth.

          Local Subaru dealers would tell me a stupid price then comment "..and it's a six week wait"

          Now lets look at a Commodore water pump from Supercheap. Eight week wait for a Gates one at almost $400. Six day wait and under $200 to my door from Rockauto.

          Sump plug for a 4L60E is $10 delivered from a bunch of OS online sources and $46, yes $46 bucks from Supercheap. And I'm only using them as an example, it's rife from all resellers.

          Someone is taking the piss because I honestly don't think Supercheap or any other store is making those margins.

          /end rant
          He's not wrong, cost price on actual decent quality O2 sensors does vary, but even trade prices would be 250-350 for some Subarus. I can probably supply 'aftermarket' quality ones for <100 and I guarantee there'll be a complaint about fuel economy after that, or a warranty return.

          howeverrrrr

          Supercheap is not cheap.

          Looking at their Tridon fan speed resistors, they list them for 2.5x cost price. And judging from complaints, they don't special order anything for anyone, everything comes with next stock order, as a bizarre company policy.

          Filters are another insane thing. They will sell oil below cost price to get people in the door, then put 10x markup on filters. I had a customer come in asking for 4 x filters for his whatevervan, told him $80 all up and he deadpan said "are you serious" and I thought he was going to punch on... turned out he was just at supercheap, the same set of filters were $150 but they didn't have something he needed. As for the $400 waterpump, we keep better quality GMB on the shelf and sell for around 220. They cost the same as the gates pumps btw.

          Everyone knows Repco is a ripoff and Supercheap has a good name. Most people don't know smaller/independent parts shops exist, so its a great scam for them. Even Bursons is overlooked by non-trade, normal retail people.

          Fun fact - supercheap is currently selling some shit way below cost - for example DBA040S is cheaper than what DBA sell to their own distributors, before supercheaps 30% member discount. Looks like they have no stock anywhere, but it completely fucks the market for everyone else, I lost out on some "just break even" sales at $200, even kebab lists them for $240. Even if SCA don't sell any because they have no stock, the fact that they're advertising them at $105/pair will put everyone else out of business overnight.

          And once you're in the door to buy those, you'll happily pay 5x markup on Ryco filters.

          Comment


            Originally posted by mizone View Post

            Seriously fuck off.

            I would get my old Liberty GT parts out of a dealer in the US (cos my Japanese is non existant) and it would be hundreds of dollars cheaper after being air freighted to Perth.

            Local Subaru dealers would tell me a stupid price then comment "..and it's a six week wait"

            Now lets look at a Commodore water pump from Supercheap. Eight week wait for a Gates one at almost $400. Six day wait and under $200 to my door from Rockauto.

            Sump plug for a 4L60E is $10 delivered from a bunch of OS online sources and $46, yes $46 bucks from Supercheap. And I'm only using them as an example, it's rife from all resellers.

            Someone is taking the piss because I honestly don't think Supercheap or any other store is making those margins.

            /end rant
            So what you are saying is a genuine Subaru O2 sensor and a $50 ebay one are going to be the exact same part, from the same factory? How about you seriously fuck off.

            Comment


              I used to have an account with Covs but they’re gone now, I’ve been using local AutoOne that’s independently owned. Good pricing and heaps of stock.
              2017 Ford Ranger XLT (Jeep Wrangler recovery vehicle)
              2007 KTM 250 SX

              Originally posted by Monza
              I've never considered myself the type of guy to eat arse but I am currently reviewing that policy

              Comment


                Coventry is Burson's isn't it?

                My local independent AutoPro shit's on most others in the area for price and service.

                Comment


                  BMW S50B32 cam position sensor: $400 from dealer here and AUD$50 from Pelican Parts in the US for the same genuine part. Even with getting raped for freight you are still way ahead.

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by katokid View Post
                    BMW S50B32 cam position sensor: $400 from dealer here and AUD$50 from Pelican Parts in the US for the same genuine part. Even with getting raped for freight you are still way ahead.
                    You'd think the "bill" from Pelican Parts would be bigger..... apologies to all.

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by katokid View Post
                      BMW S50B32 cam position sensor: $400 from dealer here and AUD$50 from Pelican Parts in the US for the same genuine part. Even with getting raped for freight you are still way ahead.
                      All my Volvo parts come from FCP. Delivery is quicker than some suppliers in Australia...

                      Comment


                        I love a good parts price rant.

                        As for genuine prices, Holden are ok for the most part, but take the piss on some oil filters. $60 for a cartridge filter for a diesel Cruze? Get the fuck outta here.

                        Hyundai and Toyota are ok, but seem to vary a bit between dealers.

                        Volvo are pretty competitive for a lot of smaller parts.

                        Alfa Romeo... Fuck me dead... Full set of genuine pads and rotors for a base model Giulietta retails for over $1300. I think Bremtec pads and OEM rotors came to $800-ish.

                        Dealers don't set the pricing, the importer does. Dealers put around 20% on top for margin.

                        +1 to Ma and Pa parts places. Find a good one, and stick with them. ​​​​​​
                        Originally posted by brewdles
                        In short, some cunt at test and tune had a 250cc honda turning to 11ty and it sounded porn. Do that.

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by ifuckingloveCUM!!! View Post

                          All my Volvo parts come from FCP. Delivery is quicker than some suppliers in Australia...
                          FCPEuro is great. I use it for all the parts i can because "lifetime warranty"... Quite a few of their parts are genuine with the badging ground off, I found that for the bmw parts I've got at least
                          Originally posted by PLAYA
                          World's richest women again via divorce.

                          Originally posted by piss98
                          fuck I'd be happy to suck Bill Gates off

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by nutttr View Post
                            FCPEuro is great. I use it for all the parts i can because "lifetime warranty"... Quite a few of their parts are genuine with the badging ground off, I found that for the bmw parts I've got at least
                            Yes the "OE" marked are supposedly the genuine but just not marked or scraped off. OEM marked are supposedly similar quality.

                            Just started using them - did a big order recently for a VANOS rebuild and just looking at another now for various bits. How do you go with costs sending stuff back? Seems that could erode the savings a bit but if you can get stuff back economically it's probably worth it.

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by Shonky View Post

                              Yes the "OE" marked are supposedly the genuine but just not marked or scraped off. OEM marked are supposedly similar quality.

                              Just started using them - did a big order recently for a VANOS rebuild and just looking at another now for various bits. How do you go with costs sending stuff back? Seems that could erode the savings a bit but if you can get stuff back economically it's probably worth it.
                              Not needed to send anything back yet! I got a radiator (for a 2003 L322 range rover) and they had it for 180 usd for a Behr one... 30 usd shipping and I had a $20 off voucher... When it arrived one of the standoffs were bent a bit because they didn't pack it well enough and they offered to send me another one straight away with a return label to send the other one back all free... That's a pretty darn good service.

                              Honestly, for the cost of the radiator, I could buy one in Aus (same one) or buy 3 or so radiators from them... The return shipping cost may be 50-100, but still cheaper than a whole new radiator!

                              Clickable automotive seem reasonably priced for BMW stuff too...
                              Originally posted by PLAYA
                              World's richest women again via divorce.

                              Originally posted by piss98
                              fuck I'd be happy to suck Bill Gates off

                              Comment



                                NoPistons, thanks for explaining what is going on. I just used SCA as an example, but it's rife with the parts importers taking the mickey.

                                Originally posted by BigJonWB View Post
                                So what you are saying is a genuine Subaru O2 sensor and a $50 ebay one are going to be the exact same part, from the same factory? How about you seriously fuck off.
                                No what I'm saying is Subaru Australia is a rort if I can get those parts from an OS Subaru dealer for a lot less. Why do I have to pay 5 times more for the same part?

                                I'm also saying I'm sick and tried of dealers/importers defending their poor spare parts pricing. Now, theres a Forrester in bay four for you with a blown head gasket...
                                "That which does not kill you, will make you very, very sick"

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X