Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gats View Post
    I like the muppets who think they can build a Hyperloop track between Brisbane and Melbourne for $40 billion. When it's costing $10 billion to build less than 40km of railway in Sydney.

Hyperloop is a gimmick that will never be economically viable.
    Given you can't have any real corners or else people will get squished from inside out, I certainly agree with this.
    Originally posted by Mr Jones
    Sneakers prompted the erection. Engine stand made me do something with it

Comment

Originally posted by SugarDaddy View Post
      Given you can't have any real corners or else people will get squished from inside out, I certainly agree with this.
      You can. You just need to make them very long radius turns which is difficult if you are at surface level but not so much if you are underground like in say a tunnel. Underground tunnels are also good as you already have to make them into a pressure vessel just to keep the water out so pulling a vacuum in the tunnel has little to no additional cost as far as tunnel design. Biggest risk to this is the cost of tunneling but if you then create an R&D company who's goal is to increase the speed and hence decrease the price of tunnel boring by a factor of ten or more, like say The Boring Company (also owned by Musk), then it starts to become far more cost effectively and likely that a Hyperloop will work, especially when you already own an electric car/large scale battery/solar manufacturer (motor drive, energy source and storage development) and a rocket company (lightweight aerodynamic pressure vessel development).

Comment

Originally posted by The Pupat View Post
        You can. You just need to make them very long radius turns which is difficult if you are at surface level but not so much if you are underground like in say a tunnel. Underground tunnels are also good as you already have to make them into a pressure vessel just to keep the water out so pulling a vacuum in the tunnel has little to no additional cost as far as tunnel design. Biggest risk to this is the cost of tunneling but if you then create an R&D company who's goal is to increase the speed and hence decrease the price of tunnel boring by a factor of ten or more, like say The Boring Company (also owned by Musk), then it starts to become far more cost effectively and likely that a Hyperloop will work, especially when you already own an electric car/large scale battery/solar manufacturer (motor drive, energy source and storage development) and a rocket company (lightweight aerodynamic pressure vessel development).
        I like your optimism Josh. They need a track record of producing stuff that's 10x better/cheaper, at a profit, to keep these great ideas afloat though. Hopefully he's got it under control.

Comment

I like your optimism Josh. They need a track record of producing stuff that's 10x better/cheaper, at a profit, to keep these great ideas afloat though. Hopefully he's got it under control.
          Like I said I don't know if I'd invest with him as its High Stakes gambling in a big way, but I wouldn't bet against him as he's managed to revolutionise the car market and the rocket industry at the same time in 15 years and it still going strong ... for now.

Comment

im a big Elon Fan. I have seriously considered a model 3 for the nopics assuming he can ever build them
            RB26......................Again

Comment

edit -
              actually they are a comparable price - eg model S 75d in US is ~100k AUD - buy it here 112k...

imagine the market penetration if a 2 year old one was 60k
              This is a post i wrote by mistake, which is nice...

Comment

I cant see it working. the vacuum and thermal expansion are very difficult problems

Oo___oO

Comment

I don't know. I think we're in unchartered waters here. I think if he gets the product right - and there's no reason for me to doubt he can - the commercial success will follow.

Comment

Tesla have revolutionised the electric car, not the car market (yet).

I hope they have success with The Boring Company, not because of Hyperloop but because it presents one of the key ways of improving infrastructure in built up regions with lower impact.

Its key to making fast train, bulk freight or the loop etc work better than surface based under many circumstances
                    ---
                    Shed Project: 1994 Laser Lynx with BP-T

Comment

Originally posted by tremolo View Post
                      I don't know. I think we're in unchartered waters here. I think if he gets the product right - and there's no reason for me to doubt he can - the commercial success will follow.
                      Yep absolutely and I hope he succeeds. He is burning through massive amounts of cash in the meantime though, so he has to keep talking people into investing which is never easy.

Comment

Yeah fucking oath, if he missteps the whole thing will be like the Hindenburg. It's been remarkable to date though.

Comment

I have no idea if the hyperloop will work, work but be to expensive, or crash in a fireball. But I sure as fuck want someone to try!
                          this signature intentionally left blank

Comment

Originally posted by CussCuss View Post
                            I have no idea if the hyperloop will work, work but be to expensive, or crash in a fireball. But I sure as fuck want someone to try!
                            Isn't that what Kevin Rudd's exact words were when he announced the NBN?

Comment

Just create a vacuum tube and have us travel in large ping pong balls.

Comment

If Tesla fail then there is going to be a lot of cars that won't be able to be updated, fix software etc.

Comment

Working...
                                X