X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wheel hub motors will open a new can of worms in car design
    its just a matter of time not to have an engine bay and a batt
    as they do now on some models as the floor.

Comment

MagnettiMarelli have just released an MGU-h for sale in the market which is also cool but slightly OT.
      https://www.facebook.com/forgedperformanceaustralia/posts/849412325135742:0
      2017 Ford Ranger XLT (Jeep Wrangler recovery vehicle)
      2007 KTM 250 SX

Originally posted by Monza
      I've never considered myself the type of guy to eat arse but I am currently reviewing that policy

Comment

Originally posted by richzx View Post
        This. How good is it going to be when hot rodders get hold of electric cars and start tuning them for more power, longer range, bigger electric motors etc. The future is going to be insanely fast electric cars that do silent burnouts (what will the cops do????) and leave most ic engines in their wake. I look forward to it but the sound of a tough ic engine will be sorely missed even if they pipe the sound into the cabin it just won't be the same.
        Modders will be frying themselves left, right and centre....this shit isn't to be taken lightly and you can't just roll out the spanners and start swapping shit. Mods will be undertaken by workshops mostly I reckon?
        GT8
        1UZ Celica
        1.07 flat Wakefield Park

Comment

yep, in the context of workshops fucking with cars teslas pyro fuse in the battery pack sounds like a very good idea.

Oo___oO

Comment

Originally posted by Justengt4 View Post
            Modders will be frying themselves left, right and centre....this shit isn't to be taken lightly and you can't just roll out the spanners and start swapping shit. Mods will be undertaken by workshops mostly I reckon?
            There are a heap of backyard electric conversions out there already. It's just a matter of time until the Tesla stuff winds up in other cars.

Although, I'm pretty sure the batteries would be in demand for people looking at home solar setups as well.
            Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Wilson View Post
              Although, I'm pretty sure the batteries would be in demand for people looking at home solar setups as well.
              Did you miss the Tesla wall thingo? Their batteries in a nice looking box to do exactly that (and grab cheap off peak power to recharge, and feed the house in peak)
              "And I know that arseholes grow on trees but I'm here to trim the leaves" Peeping Tom, Mike Patton

Comment

seen a maroon 1 a month back, followed it down past botany bay, nice shape but it could be a new commodore or a budget lexus. looks a big average for that coin

Comment

Originally posted by pH@tTm@N View Post
                  Did you miss the Tesla wall thingo? Their batteries in a nice looking box to do exactly that (and grab cheap off peak power to recharge, and feed the house in peak)
                  Holden/HSV sell a supercharged commodore but people still do that themselves.
                  If in doubt power out

Comment

Originally posted by Rona View Post
                    Holden/HSV sell a supercharged commodore but people still do that themselves.
                    While this is true, Holden charge you $50k to fit a supercharger to a car which is, if you compare across all privately-owned vehicles (ie. compare to everything from RAV4's to La Ferraris), only incrementally better than the $50k version of the same car. That's why people do that themselves. If Tesla stick to the pricing they claimed at the start of the year for their pretty wall-box thingies, the number of people doing that themselves using bits & pieces of broken car won't be all that high.

Still, I guess there are people using busted Prius bits for similar jiggery-pokery.
                    Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Comment

Originally posted by rj_astra View Post
                      The P85 battery pack weighs 600kg and has dimensions of measuring 8 feet (2,450 mm) in length, about 5 feet (2,440 mm) in width and four inches (102 mm) in thickness

Where are you going to stick all that plus the electric motor and associated electricals?
                      The new/upcoming compact Tesla sedan should have a smaller battery, yes?

You're not thinking like a hot-rodder
                      Japanese Nostalgic Car - Dedicated to classic japanese cars

Comment

Originally posted by datso View Post
                        wheel hub motors will open a new can of worms in car design
                        its just a matter of time not to have an engine bay and a batt
                        as they do now on some models as the floor.
                        the tesla is already like that. 7 seat (no fuel tank to get in the way at the back) and massive boot up front (no motor in the way there either)

benefit of designing a car as an EV right from the start
                        1988 AW11 9A-GTE - project #1 | 1984 MA61 1JZ-GTE - project #2

Originally posted by Walt Kowalski talking like a crazed hobo
                        The major arrests will start from 1st January 2019.

Comment

Originally posted by trdee View Post
                          the tesla is already like that. 7 seat (no fuel tank to get in the way at the back) and massive boot up front (no motor in the way there either)

benefit of designing a car as an EV right from the start
                          There is no massive boot up front for the AWD models. It was designed to put a motor there.
                          The underfloor batteries cause their own packaging problems. High floor causes headroom and rear seat comfort issues. Much like the body on frame dual cab utes.

Modern ICE car usually have their fuel tank under the read seat. Not under the boot.

Comment

under or behind. either way makes it more difficult for packaging. didnt know the 4wds did not have the front boot. thats a bit gay.
                            1988 AW11 9A-GTE - project #1 | 1984 MA61 1JZ-GTE - project #2

Originally posted by Walt Kowalski talking like a crazed hobo
                            The major arrests will start from 1st January 2019.

Comment

My car has battery under the drivers seat....

Not a tesla though

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Wilson View Post
                                There are a heap of backyard electric conversions out there already. It's just a matter of time until the Tesla stuff winds up in other cars.

Petrol engine modders (hell even Diesel engine modders) = eleventy

Propellerhead electric modders = 10 :p in relative terms

Get as many of the former, doing the latter (who arent propellerheads) and see how many crispy modders result
                                GT8
                                1UZ Celica
                                1.07 flat Wakefield Park

Comment

Working...
                                X