No announcement yet.

New Tesla S has "Ludicrous Speed" mode - 0-100k in 2.8secs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh - well if the US do it, im sure it will be fine - that's all the reasoning i need
    This is a post i wrote by mistake, which is nice...

Comment

Originally posted by GSRman View Post

People complain that the current F1 cars aren't noisy enough...

But i do think you are missing the damaged lion scenario -

9 sec ICE car goes into the wall - small fire starts, CO2 extinguisher - easily under control - driver says their back hurts, fireies need to extract - ambos need to treat them in situ, before extracting them.
      - fire out
      - disconnect 12v battery
      - make sure anything hot enough to re-ignite cops some CO2 until it's not going to.
      - everyone does their work - the energy is stored inside the fuel - and can't be released without the whole fire-triangle thing.

9 sec Lithium battery car goes into the wall - small fire starts, CO2 extinguisher - easily under control - driver says their back hurts, fireies need to extract - ambos need to treat them in situ, before extracting them.
      - fire out
      - can't disconnect the battery (too many volts DC - even in F1 they have the dudes with the horse insemination gloves)
      - even if nothing his hot - damage to the individual packs or cells can cause shorting - heat generation, gas - even hours later.
      - who/how/what criteria do you place on rescue people entering the vehicle?

it's not impossible - but im not sure we yet have a good plan on how to handle it -
      EVs have big contactors/fusable links directly on the pack so when triggered (ie, by an impact) there is no voltage anywhere in the car, whether the pack itself was impacted or not. When combined with the location and shape of the battery being in the safest part of the vehicle and least likely to be impacted as opposed to an ICE vehicle with volatile fuel at both the front and rear it is clear you are cherry-picking the worst possible EV scenario vs a mild ICE scenario.

Also lol at suggesting fuel/oil fires are always easy to control, and toxicity? Lets be fine with fuels that in normal operation literally burn your eyes and throat and have flames that are invisible, but EVs? nooooo too dangerous!
      Last edited by perthdrivers.txt; 12-03-21, 10:49 AM.
      Originally posted by Jim
      I feel that rules are important as without rules there is no cheating and cheating is a vital part of drag racing.

Originally posted by elfturbomax
      What has happened to PF? It seems to be diesel love now days. Maybe the name should be changed to Particulate Forums.

Comment

no idea why you pick a keyboard fight with me EVERY fucking thread - didn't say it was impossible - eg...

we just need a different strategy to deal with it - a tesla burning to the ground in the middle of the track isn't going to be cleaned up like an oildown..

EVs have big contactors/fusable links directly on the pack so when triggered (ie, by an impact) there is no voltage anywhere in the car, whether the pack itself was impacted or not. When combined with the location and shape of the battery being in the safest part of the vehicle and least likely to be impacted as opposed to an ICE vehicle with volatile fuel at both the front and rear it is clear you are cherry-picking the worst possible EV scenario vs a mild ICE scenario.
        no - I'm picking the scenario where there's been physical damage to the cells within the pack - the car is now disabled - so can't cool the pack, and the cells get hot enough to degrade - and convert the energy stored directly into exotic material fire.

Comment

Today

TM3LR

needs acceleration boost, you can tell it’s artificially restricted off the line as once 50-60km/h rolls by it’s pulls harder

draggy says 4.5-4.6 0-100km/h with 75% soc, don’t know if having 20km on the odo makes any difference, but needs more llamas

$3000 in app purchase will be made on payday

made in China

quick look over and it’s good enough for me, and having owned Jeep’s and Chrysler’s the build quality actually seems quite good

ceramic coat and tint on monday

maybe springs and powder coated wheels down the track, however I should just leave it as is

disappointed to find out not even basic summon, and I need to get FSD, just wanted to pretend the dog was driving the car to one up a mate whose teaching his dog to skateboard...

Comment

Congrats dude! 😊

Comment

Well, all these Li battery fires and thermal 'events' are all well and good, but if you get a Tesla with LiFePo4 batteries (the ones coming in from China now), then you'll be sweet. The LFP chemistry is quite benign. At least that's what all my research told me about 3 years back when I put about 3.9 kWh of LFP batteries cells into the yacht. Maybe Tesla can make them go boom, but that's not their usual MO.

Just like 'Oils ain't Oils', Li batteries ain't Li batteries.

Comment

no idea why you pick a keyboard fight with me EVERY fucking thread - didn't say it was impossible - eg...
                Don’t take it personally

Im not arguing against you, i’m arguing against this head-in-sand approach from officials.
                Originally posted by Jim
                I feel that rules are important as without rules there is no cheating and cheating is a vital part of drag racing.

What has happened to PF? It seems to be diesel love now days. Maybe the name should be changed to Particulate Forums.

Comment

Reading about that autopilot crash reminded me of this thread -

Harris County Constable Mark Herman said it took firefighters four hours and more than 30,000 gallons of water to extinguish a battery fire in a 2019 Tesla Model S Saturday, something he said responders would normally have controlled in a matter of “minutes” while crews had to call Tesla for advice.

Despite responders to electric vehicle incidents often reporting batteries reigniting, it is not peculiar for an electric vehicle battery—which is often a large-scale version of the lithium-ion batteries found in mobile phones—to catch fire again after being put out and serves to underscore how unprepared many responders are to deal with electric vehicle fires.

Tesla, in guidance for first responders, recommends firefighters allow the battery to “burn itself out” rather than continuously trying to put it out.
                  So it really does sound like the best course of action would be to have a big dunk tank of water...

Comment

It's not an autopilot crash.
                    Parramatta Eels, 2009 Premiership rightful winners.

Comment

Or just let the car burn and the firies work to ensure that nothing else nearby catches fire.

Comment

Thats kinda what the article says is tesla's advice?
                        .... because every driver experiences the destructive potential of the effortless surge of power available through the smallest of body movements.

Dr Hoon

DrNick is king!!!! No, Mark Webber is now! Long live the king!... hold on a minute mate, Ricci is in charge now

Comment

just means they need to have a way to pick up a damaged car from the track, and put it somewhere safe - either in water, or somewhere where the fumes aren't going to be a problem - can't let it burn to the ground on the track.

it's just going to really complicate things when they start talking about rollcages/rollovers/driver extractions...

Comment

just means they need to have a way to pick up a damaged car from the track, and put it somewhere safe - either in water, or somewhere where the fumes aren't going to be a problem - can't let it burn to the ground on the track.

it's just going to really complicate things when they start talking about rollcages/rollovers/driver extractions...

I would be way more concerned about street cars with a critical battery senario than some EV race car crash where safety officials are on hand.

Comment

Tesla/electric car catching on fire under an apartment block would be fucking disaster.
                              Last edited by Sturmovik; 20-04-21, 10:58 PM.

Comment

why?

why would an EV be any more likely to spontaneously combust than an ICE vehicle?
                                why would an ICE vehicle on fire not set fire to a building, but an EV would?
                                why would a building fire started by an EV be worse than one started by an ICE vehicle?

Honestly, the bows being drawn in this thread are veeerrry long....
                                Originally posted by Jim

Comment

Working...
                                X