New Tesla S has "Ludicrous Speed" mode - 0-100k in 2.8secs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 9triton View Post

Surely some enterprising chap can do an app of v8 sounds for you to play inside your on Tesla.

... Or outside...
    I guess so, but they haven’t. I also think weight is an issue with electric performance cars right now. Not that it hurts straight line speed but 2+ tonne cars are hell on tyres and brakes and I’d imagine a lightweight super car still has its place for driver experience for a while yet.
    Last edited by biteme; 03-07-21, 02:53 PM.
    When too much horsepower is barely enough

Comment

Originally posted by mizone View Post

Question is what else will come out from the major manufacturers in the interim or about that time?

GM and Ford in the US have gone, "Oh, so you want electric cars now?" and swung there 30 years of making them into production. The Hummer and Lightning are examples of that

I'm glad that Tesla/Musk have given the whole industry a kick along, and the product I like, just wondering what the others will do as a returning shot
      Yeah. I’d imagine it wouldn’t be rocket science for Porsche to put a 3rd motor in the Taycan and have something similar. It’ll cost a multiple of what the Plaid does tho. I’m more curious about what else comes along that doesn’t involve throwing more horsepower and weight at the problem. How would Mazda for example, do a performance EV?
      Japanese Nostalgic Car - Dedicated to classic japanese cars

Comment

I got loaned an older Model S from like 2016, P90D that had the ludicrous+ mode. Even 5 years on still hammers, got a bit crossed up giving it a hit up an onramp. That's about the only place you can use it. Drove 300-400kw cars in the same week and this still 'feels' way more rollercoaster.

Comment

Originally posted by Babalouie View Post

Yeah. I’d imagine it wouldn’t be rocket science for Porsche to put a 3rd motor in the Taycan and have something similar. It’ll cost a multiple of what the Plaid does tho. I’m more curious about what else comes along that doesn’t involve throwing more horsepower and weight at the problem. How would Mazda for example, do a performance EV?
          Me too. I’m really interested in the electric sports cars that are coming - such as the Lotus/Alpine collaboration. Neither company is keen on making heavy cars, so I’m hopeful of good results. I’d be very interested in an electric A110 at today’s A110 prices, if such a thing is possible.

Would sports car buyers be prepared to trade off some range for a smaller and lighter battery?

Comment

Originally posted by Babalouie View Post
            Watching videos of all the VW product, I think they are too little too late

"Keep lowering your standards until you achieve a goal" - Mike Finnegan

Comment

Originally posted by Captain_Slow View Post

Me too. I’m really interested in the electric sports cars that are coming - such as the Lotus/Alpine collaboration. Neither company is keen on making heavy cars, so I’m hopeful of good results. I’d be very interested in an electric A110 at today’s A110 prices, if such a thing is possible.

Would sports car buyers be prepared to trade off some range for a smaller and lighter battery?
              An EV sports car at this point would be a niche within a niche, and they’d probably sell about 5 of them

Desite the performance credentials of the various Tesla’s i think EVs still need to be largely about utility to be an attractive option to a traditional ICE car
              Originally posted by Jim
              I feel that rules are important as without rules there is no cheating and cheating is a vital part of drag racing.

Originally posted by elfturbomax
              What has happened to PF? It seems to be diesel love now days. Maybe the name should be changed to Particulate Forums.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain_Slow View Post

At this stage, EVs are mainly normal cars re-engined with electric motors and batteries. You really need a Colin Chapman or a Gordon Murray to come and say..."Hey, we can put the electric motor here, and the batteries there...and this opens up possibilities we never had before". Something that takes advantage of the packaging flexibility, low centre of gravity, and power delivery. Who knows what form it'll take, but I'm willing to bet that it'll be a similar step forward to when F1 cars went from front to mid engined in the 60s.

It's only a matter of time.

Comment

Its almost like most people have forgotten that the first Tesla was based on a Lotus.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2008-tesla-roadster-photo-182190-s-986x603.jpg?resize=980:*.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	7267751
                  I climbed Mt Druitt

Comment

Originally posted by bigshipengine.jpg View Post
                    Its almost like most people have forgotten that the first Tesla was based on a Lotus.

I reckon you could do way better than that. That's an ICE car with an electric motor, not somethign designed around being electric

Comment

they also sold about 5 of them, which is my point.
                      Originally posted by Jim
                      I feel that rules are important as without rules there is no cheating and cheating is a vital part of drag racing.

Originally posted by elfturbomax
                      What has happened to PF? It seems to be diesel love now days. Maybe the name should be changed to Particulate Forums.

Comment

Originally posted by perthdrivers.txt View Post
                        they also sold about 5 of them, which is my point.
                        That was back then, it was pricey and barely anyone was willing to be an early adopter until the normal Teslas came out :-)

EV's haven't yet had the "MX5 Moment" where they come up with something sporty and fun, that appeals to heaps of people. We haven't had things like ultra-spacious one box minivans yet that make the most of a skateboard chassis etc. All that stuff will eventually come.

Comment

An electric Caterham would do nicely.

Comment

Originally posted by bigshipengine.jpg View Post

“The Roadster shares roughly 6% of its components with the Lotus Elise; shared components include the windshield, air bags, some tires, some dashboard parts, and suspension components”

that’s not much Elise at all

sure it looks the same, but that’s about it

also it was pretty decent spec wise in regards to range speed and weight, something that we’d all easily accept as a 2021 model if released now, it was the final “upgrade” saw it at 1237kg with an 80kWh battery upgrade 0-100 in 3.7 and a 600km range

if a convertible ev was released today with 80kWh under 1300kg and mid 12’s 1/4 mile times people would shit their pants trying to pull their wallets out quick enough

Comment

Yup I'd be one of them, if it was priced appropriately. Would tick every box for the car I am looking for.

Comment

Telsa skids

Comment

Working...
                                X