Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Car questions that don't deserve a thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So are VW Golfs/Polos this generation's Hyundai Excel or nah?

Comment

Nah. Excel was popular Back Then because it was cheaper than a Swift but nearly the size of a Corolla, and felt like something the size of a Corolla to drive (ie. nowhere near as dire as, for example, the X2 Excel). They then fell apart, because cheap-shit, and they were cheap enough that nobody probably bothered with even oil changes after a while.

Problems with VAG products seem to be design flaws, not the unintended built-in obsolescence of a plastic.
      Probably more intentional than with an X3 Excel …
      (*) X3 Excel = "meh Mitsubishi the really well-respected maker of high quality vehicles used a metal part for this, we can't see these things if we make it out of metal, plastic will have to do"
      (*) VAG = "phew that dieselgate thing is over, how can we ensure our cars feel super great quality while in warranty & fail just outside?"
      Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Comment

Originally posted by Madhatr View Post

What does it say when you use INPA and perform a roughness test like I was talking about before? It's specifically there for helping to diagnose misfires at idle. It checks fuel trims, injector duty, misfire events, spark, o2 sensors, a whole bunch of stuff.
        Yes, I’ve used INPA quite a bit on my m62 and n54s in the past but when I’ve run it for this car I can’t access an English version - all menus are in German. Will need to find another version that has the 2010 n55 dme in English.

i did have one small victory though. I found that a vacuum line for the exhaust flapper valve was just hanging disconnected in the engine bay. It looks as if it was cut cleanly from the nipple on the valve cover, which was exposed and a clear vacuum leak. Refitted it and was hoping for a resolution for the poor idle but no dice.

Also so noticed that fuel consumption is through the roof - 19.5/100km with sedate driving (after the vacuum leak was fixed).
        Last edited by The Blimp; 23-10-19, 11:52 AM.

Comment

Does anybody know why drum brake wheel cylinders have the seal on the piston and disc brake calipers have the seals in the bore?

Is there a reason for this?
          " Racing cars don't have doors. Toilets have doors" : Keke Rosberg

Comment

Back in the 80's there wan an English magazine called Supercar Classic. They had an artist called Bob Freeman who used to do great sketches with watercoloured infills of car/motor/gearbox details (I can still remember his sketch of the top oiler 427 with his hand written comment that it has taken him 3 goes to get the Holley right and it still isn't). The guy was a mechanic who could draw, sadly now dead.

I'm trying to track down images of his work so that I can use them as wallpapers on my PC and there doesn't seem to be much out there that Google can find. Has anyone got an idea where I can find images of his work.

There is a guy called Revs (Reverend Adam Gompertz who does something similar - Ian Callum (ex-Jaguar, Aston, HSV designer) or maybe Peter Stevens (ex-Lotus, McLaren F1 designer) recommended him. But his work seems a bit too derivative of Bob Freeman's original work.

I'm also after images of Hector Luis Bergandi's work (Road & Track used to publish his work).

Comment

Is this stuff any good for a quick once over clean of a late model car. Kluger... Leather seats, some sort of leatherette plastic dash. Lots of small child junk

https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/...ml/581909.html
              Chris
              ------
              The MX5 Noujet (its up market) | The Hilux Complete Nugget
              I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Comment

Originally posted by takai View Post
                Is this stuff any good for a quick once over clean of a late model car. Kluger... Leather seats, some sort of leatherette plastic dash. Lots of small child junk

https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/...ml/581909.html
                Luke warm water with a drop or 2 of some pH neutral soap, make a damp microfiber cloth with it and wipe
                you cant spell advertisements without semen between the tits

Comment

I need an engine stand for all of one job - to hold and roll a 6.1 hemi (250kg) to fit a new sump.

I'm suspicious there are all of two types of engine stand - one made in China and rated at '450kg' which is available at $80 from pretty much anywhere and is actually the same thing painted different colours. Or one made in China and rated at '900kg' for $135 with folding legs which is available from pretty much anywhere and is actually the same thing painted different colours.

Will the 450kg one actually hold 250kg? Is there any point going the bigger one?

Comment

I bought this "450kg" engine stand from SCA, it's probably the same Chinese shit as everywhere else:

https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/...kg/383672.html

Handled my 2JZ no worries and I doubt it's under 200kg. I reckon you'll be fine.
                    Norbie!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Purple View Post
                      I need an engine stand for all of one job - to hold and roll a 6.1 hemi (250kg) to fit a new sump.

I'm suspicious there are all of two types of engine stand - one made in China and rated at '450kg' which is available at $80 from pretty much anywhere and is actually the same thing painted different colours. Or one made in China and rated at '900kg' for $135 with folding legs which is available from pretty much anywhere and is actually the same thing painted different colours.

Will the 450kg one actually hold 250kg? Is there any point going the bigger one?
                      How long do you need it for???? I have a 450kg stand doing nothing for the next 12 months

Comment

At most a week or so I'd say.

If you're keen I'm happy to exchange beer and will pick up for a loan! No particular hurry, but can let you know in the next few weeks.

Comment

It would have to be picked.up, or I can drop it off before next Saturday when I head back to Jakarta.

I won't be needing it until the end of next year, so no problem if the motor ends up taking a while to do.

Comment

Ok, i keep getting the usual spam ads and in amongst them are ads for this item which is marketed as a fuel filter:
                            https://www.banggood.com/Blue-12-28-...r_warehouse=CN

I cant figure out how it is supposed to work, and googling the NAPA 4003 gives a pleated filter part number, and a shedload of stuff on 22LR silencers.

What the hell is it?
                            Chris
                            ------
                            The MX5 Noujet (its up market) | The Hilux Complete Nugget
                            I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Comment

Recommendation for a Brisbane Suzuki dealer. Looking at a Swift GLX turbo for the nopics which will then become the daughters first car.
                              "It takes beer to make thirst worth while."

Comment

I reckon a new purchase doesn’t need a recommendation, you just shop ‘em against each other ... the servicing is a different matter!
                                Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Comment

Working...
                                X