Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Car questions that don't deserve a thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How sketchy is something like this for camber adjustment on a softroader?

The factory one looks like this:

It's getting a small (25mm) lift, but there's no factory camber adjustment, so it needs something. How much force actually goes through this arm?

Or am I better off spending another $300 and doing it properly?

Comment

Ok this may or may not require its own thread.

I've got a set of BC Coilovers which have springs rated at 8kg/mm and 6kg/mm.
      I reckon they are too stiff (for a car that weighs ~900kg).

If I were to change springs to say 4kg/mm and 3kg/mm, will the valving be way off where the ride would be whack? Is there any other aspect to this that would make them weird? If yes, can I adjust the damping on these (after going to the softer spring) to compensate to try and lessen the impact of the softer springs?

These are pretty much brand new coilovers so I don't want to replace them (my brother bought these not realizing they will be too stiff).
      Originally posted by XXX19X
      Shitbreak is the epitome of perfection.

Comment

Originally posted by Grungle View Post
        How sketchy is something like this for camber adjustment on a softroader?

The factory one looks like this:

It's getting a small (25mm) lift, but there's no factory camber adjustment, so it needs something. How much force actually goes through this arm?

Or am I better off spending another $300 and doing it properly?
        probably no sketchier than the original part.

Comment

Originally posted by Shitbreak View Post
          Ok this may or may not require its own thread.

I've got a set of BC Coilovers which have springs rated at 8kg/mm and 6kg/mm.
          I reckon they are too stiff (for a car that weighs ~900kg).

If I were to change springs to say 4kg/mm and 3kg/mm, will the valving be way off where the ride would be whack? Is there any other aspect to this that would make them weird? If yes, can I adjust the damping on these (after going to the softer spring) to compensate to try and lessen the impact of the softer springs?

These are pretty much brand new coilovers so I don't want to replace them (my brother bought these not realizing they will be too stiff).
          What car? what's the motion ratio? Are the springs the same length? if so, try the 6s on the 8kg end, and 4.5 on the 6 - I reckon halving the rate might be going too far.
          "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Comment

Originally posted by Gammaboy View Post
            What car? what's the motion ratio? Are the springs the same length? if so, try the 6s on the 8kg end, and 4.5 on the 6 - I reckon halving the rate might be going too far.
            Car is a Mk1 Golf GTi. Your springs swap suggestion sounds like a good solution. No idea what the motion ratio is unfortunately.

Comment

Car is a Mk1 Golf GTi. Your springs swap suggestion sounds like a good solution. No idea what the motion ratio is unfortunately.
              Righto - strut front end (1:1 motion ratio), rear trailing arm, but motion ratio is 1:1 too.
              I can't remember what wheelrates work for FWD cars, otherwise I could give you a better recommendation.
              "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Comment

Righto - strut front end (1:1 motion ratio), rear trailing arm, but motion ratio is 1:1 too.
                I can't remember what wheelrates work for FWD cars, otherwise I could give you a better recommendation.
                Thanks for this. I've just done some quick googling and there are some formulas to work out spring rate based on factors such as motion ratio, sprung mass, bump frequency etc. All of which is probably overkill given the wheel size and offset will be for aesthetics rather than function. I'd be happy with 6ish/4ish kg/mm. Will try this and see how it goes.

Comment

Aren't the BC coliovers adjustable?

Comment

Originally posted by S View Post
                    Aren't the BC coliovers adjustable?
                    How do you propose to adjust the spring rate champ?

Comment

How do you propose to adjust the spring rate champ?
                      Was he not asking more than one question.

Comment

Originally posted by S View Post
                        Was he not asking more than one question.
                        I think S was getting at possibly softening the damper levels to soften the ride. Damper adjustment only makes fairly small differences to overall ride. I really need to change the springs on this one.

Comment

Underdamped, overly stiffly sprung suspension feels much worse than when the damping is set right for the spring - conversely, overly stiff damping on an undersprung car can feel ok and mask a number of the issues caused by the soft springs.
                          Anyway - I dunno how much damping adjustment the BCs have in them, but it shouldn't be to bad to have them revalved if necessary.

Comment

Ok. Interia switches. I reckon I should get onto this for the track car.

Do you wire up to main switch (kill everything) or just the cct to the fuel pump?

Comment

So, my contribution to this thread. Towing ratings - where the fuck do you find them for older cars? Looking for something Pre-93 to put on club reg and use occasionally, but apart from the really popular stuff like Landcruisers and Patrols its like no one cares about anything else so info is impossible to find. Tried towbar catalogs like Hayman Reece but like Redbook details are patchy as fuck. Surely something like a Ford Bronco wouldnt be stuck with a 750kg unbraked/1000kg braked capacity like a Mazda 6.
                              1978 Gemini Sedan - Powered by i change my mind every week
                              1980 Gemini Sedan
                              1992 Land Rover Discovery 200TDI

Comment

I think S was getting at possibly softening the damper levels to soften the ride. Damper adjustment only makes fairly small differences to overall ride. I really need to change the springs on this one.
                                I was asking if they're adjustable as if they are just drop the spring rate 2kg and turn the shocks right down.

Comment

Working...
                                X